? for anyone playing Privateer 2 Deluxe

Subitai

Spaceman
Just started that...(i know very late of me).

But do you remember the best way that YOU made money.

Was it CARGO Commodities trading

or

Just shoot em up missions?

"O"

I have to admit that after playing "I don't remember how many" hours to get some money, I "surrendered" and simply *gave* me some money:D so that I could buy a "useful" ship and finally start into the "main story"...

I understand that there may be many out there calling me a "cheater" or even saying I'm "not a true WC/Privateer fan", but I simply don't have enough time to spend dozens of hours just for "collecting" money just to get an appropriate ship to be ready to start with the "main story", I think even after *getting* a good ship it's still hard enough to make it trough all the "main missions" of the game...

I agree with LOAF. Cargo never was very profitable. You might make a few credits on a trip but nothing like what you need for ship upgrades.

I found cargo VERY profitable in P1. This is
how:

1. Go to Hector, Achilles or other mining base.
2. Take 3 cargo missions to New Detroit, each for 10000.
3. Fill up the rest of the cargo space with Uranium,
Plutonium, and Gems. If you have a little bit of extra
space tungsten is also good. Iron isn't worth the cost
of hauling.

Uranium and Plutonium each give approximately 100 cred/
unit profit. So if you're flying a Galaxy with Cargo
expansion that comes to
50 units mission cargo
200 units worth 100 cred profit apiece in the main hold.
25 units of Gems worth about 200 cred profit apiece
in the secret compartment.

= 30000 + 20000 + 5000 = 55000 credits for one run.

Bounty hunting can be as or slightly more profitable,
especially if you can get 3 bounties for about 17000 apiece.
The problem is that this can't always be done in just one
mission, so I claim that the cargo above is still the
most profitable single run.

Another way is to mix the two: Get a cargo run to another
destination, and then supplement it by taking bounty or
patrol missions that happen to coincide with your
cargo flight path. I almost always do this because I bought a spaceship to see the galaxy, not to drive in circles around Troy :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

[Edited by pendell on 03-30-2001 at 11:21]

I found in P1 that combining high pay cargo runs and bounty hunts can yeild you quick cash in a short time. Key is to line up your runs, by that I mean if youre heading to New Detroit on a cargo run, line up a bounty hunt along the way or vise versa. If you are in a plot mission, see if there is a cargo run along the way or a bounty hunt along the way, most of those bounty hunts pay above 10,000 and some cover the same space area you are flying in for a different mission or one of the plot missions. Of course the high paying jobs are in the guilds. Become a member of both merchants and mercenaries guild. The fees are pocket change compared to the pay the missions offer! In P2, the same can be done by lining up jobs along the way. Another good thing to do is have the SOS reciever on in between runs to pick up a few thousand creds here and there. Check the news bullitens for those sudden changes in commodities. Make runs between Hermes/Anhur/Crius. That area usually has less pirates around. Stay away from the path between Anhur and Bex!! Lots of pirates around there! The run between Janus V and Hades can be profitable too, but the pirates love Janus V and hang around that planet like its a flystrip.

RFBurns

[Edited by RFBurns on 03-30-2001 at 12:47]

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The game in question, though, is P2...

Well, yes. Oops. Unfortunately I can't delete the post.
Oh well ... guess we'll have to chalk it up to topic drift
(TM).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Originally posted by Jochen
I have to admit that after playing "I don't remember how many" hours to get some money, I "surrendered" and simply *gave* me some money:D so that I could buy a "useful" ship and finally start into the "main story"...

I understand that there may be many out there calling me a "cheater" or even saying I'm "not a true WC/Privateer fan", but I simply don't have enough time to spend dozens of hours just for "collecting" money just to get an appropriate ship to be ready to start with the "main story", I think even after *getting* a good ship it's still hard enough to make it trough all the "main missions" of the game...

The profit margins and commodities changes in the news bullitens could be a bit better IMO. Like you I spent not only hours and hours, but days and days getting to a point where there was enough money to buy a better ship than something that resembled a tin foil can. But I stuck to it and finally got enough to load out a Drakkar with decent equipment, cept that ship has junky armor. So I saved and saved till the Freij MKII became available and bought that, then continued with the plot, cause those last few missions in the plot, youre not going to survive in anything else than a heavy duty ship with lots of armor and shields. Those Kindred cap ships are extremely tough, which required more than 2 Nukem's to even put a dent in the shields. I found the best ships are the Freij MKII, and for speed and manuverability, the Icarus, although the Icarus has crappy armor and not enough module mounts as well as the gun mounts, should be more than 4 for that ships price!

RFB

Hauling steroids or other illegal stuf was very profitable on a certain route, this was the only cargo trip I ever did and only with the smallest cargo ship (Gea Transit, I think). Unfortunately, I cannot remember the route... :(
But to answer your question, I used missions to enrich me...

RFBurns, I am not sure, if I got you right, but how can you favor the Icarus? She costs 5,000 more than the Heretic, is slower, has less armour the rest is the same. Or was it your Icarus version with the P2edit? ;)
Please enlighten me.

I included the Icarus w/o modification as a first upgrade I would shoot for, I just got them backwards in my previous post. But to enlighten the modified Icarus, with 5 guns instead of 4, and the addition of 4 extra module mounts and 600 python missles in each missle mount, yep it will overcome any challenge! Cept it still has junky armor. I fly the Jancilla Skull mostly. Its loaded with 3 Kravens and all the module mounts are full with the best equipment. Dispite its speed, its has a very small bounding box which makes it hard for them pirates to hit me!

RFB

Ah, so it was your special RFBurns Icarus...

I was always annoyed by the fact that so many ships from P2 were just totally useless...

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 03-30-2001 at 17:28]

Some of them are in fact useless for the later missions. I tried every single ship after completion of the game just to see what ship would make it thru and which ones wouldnt. And heres the results. Everything except the Freij MKII! Unless of course you use the speical RFB type ships!
:)
RFB

Yes, the Freij MKII is really winner. The only useful ships I found were Drakkar, Heretic and Freij MKII. The others were just wasted money.

The Heretic isnt such a bad ship. The gun placements were a bit too far apart I think, but all around good craft. Notice how the good ships are classified by the CIS with ML0something. Any ship with the ML designation is a good ship to play the game in. Except of course if you fly in a Papagod ship or one of the Kindreds ships!

RFB

I dont recall which exact ones had that designation, but there are a few. I think the Icarus was one of them as well as the Heretic, Freij and Freij MKII. There should be 3 or 4 more but I dont have my handbook with me at the moment. I just wish that the editor would recognize the Talon so you can fly it too. But I never did see it in the ship selection screen in the editor.

RFB

ML01 Duress
ML02 Heretic
ML03 Faldari
ML04 Heron
ML05 Veldor
ML06 Freij

As a general rule, although cheating is much more accepted than it used to be, it's fairly useless to *reccomend* it when someone's looking for help with the game...

Back