Flight sim ability

Lord_Nathrakh said:
man XWA has the best graphics of any game on pc (flight sim anyway)

u can shoot and blow wings of fighters peirce cockpits take the top of them and watch the body float out, its so incredibly realistic.

Oh Lord God have mercy on us.

I sometimes play flight sims, mainly Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 Professional. I have never really played many other flight sims, I have always been a space sim pilot.

DyNaMiX said:
I sometimes play flight sims, mainly Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 Professional. I have never really played many other flight sims, I have always been a space sim pilot.

2002 pro is perfect for honing stick skills, especially if using real world weather situations. Nothing like landing a learjet (or a Centurion Airlines craft ;) ) in a 40mph cross winds on a 6,000 foot runway in foggy or storm conditions, leaving you only with instruments to rely on during your flight.

Although I too prefer space sims, I try to keep a balance between the space flight type sims and the aircraft sims that have real world flight physics. Once you master a sim such as MS 2002/2003, ANY space sim is a breeze. The advantage to MS flight sims is that you can use what you learned and apply that to the real world and become a real pilot (as I have). But I too like to get away from the real world and adventure off into some furball battle in a space fighter!

Grab a helicopter sim such as Commanche or Longbow and really give your stick skills a test. Or try the helicopter in the MS flight sim, see if you can hold a hover and maintain it in 30 mph or more winds! Fun!!! (watch out for that building on your right!)

MMhh let see...
Falcon
F-15 II
F-15 III
F-117
F-19
JetFighter
F/A-18
F-15 (Janes)
Apache Longbow (JAnes)
all the WC
X-Wing
Tie Fighter
X-W Alliance
CFS
CFS2
MSFS 2002
StarLancer

I'm an X-Wing pilot first. XWA was a great game, it had good graphics, by the standards of the time.

Its important to note that XWA was rushed, there's evidance of more involed AI pilots, more interactivity and some really cool featurs from TG that LA axed.

The story is very good, the gameplay is great, the replay value isn't great though.

The thing about XWA though is the ease of modding. If I want I can import the X-Wing OPT file into Optech and cut a wing off, or give it X-Wing enginges.

As to the graphics, well check out the work at:

www.xwaupgrade.com

The X-Wing cockpit is stunning.

see battle dog understands, i do agree about the replay value, but in terms on game play value, it takes 3 times to 10 times as long to finish as ANY wing commander game.

the graphics are still stunning in my oppinion, and the ability to pilot more then reble craft is what made the multi games so much fun, nothen like haven a wing of tie defenders mixing it up against 3 reble mon cal cruisers worth of fighters.

though the multiplayer engine isnt as stable as i would have liked it was still great value, and i got it for a low price of 12$ american.

did u find some of the missions were to hard sometimes battledog? well i mean for a first time gamer? i would have hated playing it if i didnt alrdy have XvT i would of been lost

RFBurns said:
2002 pro is perfect for honing stick skills, especially if using real world weather situations. Nothing like landing a learjet (or a Centurion Airlines craft ;) ) in a 40mph cross winds on a 6,000 foot runway in foggy or storm conditions, leaving you only with instruments to rely on during your flight.

Although I too prefer space sims, I try to keep a balance between the space flight type sims and the aircraft sims that have real world flight physics. Once you master a sim such as MS 2002/2003, ANY space sim is a breeze. The advantage to MS flight sims is that you can use what you learned and apply that to the real world and become a real pilot (as I have). But I too like to get away from the real world and adventure off into some furball battle in a space fighter!

Grab a helicopter sim such as Commanche or Longbow and really give your stick skills a test. Or try the helicopter in the MS flight sim, see if you can hold a hover and maintain it in 30 mph or more winds! Fun!!! (watch out for that building on your right!)

I've always loved flying jets through storms. Great fun. It's even better when an engine decides to cut out forcing you to keep your feet on the rudder hehehe.
The helicopter though is another story, I can barely get it off the ground. I'm trying to figure all those out hehe.

Lord_Nathrakh said:
i never tried a chopper sim though, i spose it would be only slitly differnt.. cna u recommend any good 1s?

A chopper sim is a bit more than slightly different, but very challenging. A good one to begin with is Commanche or Longbow Gold. The chopper in MS flight sim 2002 pro is very difficult even if you set the flight characteristics to "easy".

Another neat thing about the MS flight sim is the multiplayer abilities, putting you into a virtual real world scenario in and around major airports with air traffic control communications and other air traffic. It really keeps your attention focused on whats going on in and around your airplane. I love to hang around the Dallas International and Kennedy International airports because in both multiplayer and single play, you can add real world weather and air/ground traffic activity. Its neat flying about and air traffic control tells you there is another airplane off to your right or left, or air traffic tells you to "stack and rack and pack" in a holding pattern before getting clearance to land. Its also a hoot to rely only on the flight instruments during a heavy fog or rain/snow storm with zero visibility!

Ahh XWA, great sim, great gameplay and story. I tend to agree the replay value is somewhat blah, but at least with the external mission editors (not the "quick skirmish") you can create some exciting missions. I fly either the A-Wing fighter for the Alliance or the Tie Advance for the Empire. Both graphics and flight characteristics are vastly improved over the older Lucas Arts space sims. Some of the add on graphic modifications such as the engine exaust and cockpit graphics are great!

VegaStrike is amazing, I mean for a free open source sim, it just cannot be beat in that realm. True there are alot of things that need to be addressed with it, but again for an open source sim, it truely stands out above the rest with its ease of customization and ship importing. (the Centurion and the Galaxy Class Starship are beauties in that sim!) :)

Lord_Nathrakh said:
see battle dog understands, i do agree about the replay value, but in terms on game play value, it takes 3 times to 10 times as long to finish as ANY wing commander game.

the graphics are still stunning in my oppinion, and the ability to pilot more then reble craft is what made the multi games so much fun, nothen like haven a wing of tie defenders mixing it up against 3 reble mon cal cruisers worth of fighters.

though the multiplayer engine isnt as stable as i would have liked it was still great value, and i got it for a low price of 12$ american.

did u find some of the missions were to hard sometimes battledog? well i mean for a first time gamer? i would have hated playing it if i didnt alrdy have XvT i would of been lost

Dude, I love the game, it's just that I didn't agree with you about it having the best graphics on the PC. There is one thing about it's engine that it beats most games out with...it's scaling. Going up to the Executor in a Corellian Cruiser and being completely dwarfed...pretty cool stuff.

BTW, I think the game has alot of replay value. It has alot of memorable missions.

well, i think after a few months of playing it constantly ud get boared once u finished the game......though the battle of endor was awsome in my oppinion, up to 200 ships at any one time including dozens of capitals....now thats coolness

Uhh . . to sharpen my skills, I played Jet Fighter 2, and then I bought and flew radio-controlled airplanes. They're expensive, but it's hard to get more realistic than controlling an actual flying object in the real air, with real weather (and power lines! ARGH! You'll be coming in to land and forget the power line is there, and it will RUIN YOUR SHIT!)

Nick Blitz

Back