Flight sim ability

im wondering, do u ppl play any other games, flight sim game i mean, that u shgarpen your skills with?

and if so what do u think of the wingco handeling compared to other flight sims, barring properchy which was a greta improvment, i find that they dont turn as quick, and the stick is a little to tough.

well but tehn again XvT and XWA ships handle like 10 meter fighters should they not weighed down with 500 cm of sheilding and 300 of steel, nor are they as large and they dont mas nearly half.

i find my ability in combat fighting is demineshed in wing co, there is only so much u can do....trick wise, in comparison to XvT or even a game like Falcon 4.0 though i do like the simple interface, XvT has the same thing but the ships move better it seems.

any bodys thoughts?

I grew up with Lucasarts and Dynamixs wonderful series of World War II sims, and have very fond memories thereof... but I haven't really played anything like that since I got into Wing Commander.

I played Origin's line of 'story' flight games -- Strike Commander, Pacific Strike and Wings of Glory. SC and PS were fun story games, and WoG is a heck of an underrated game. Probably the last game I ever played where I got a real sense of accomplishment just for shooting down an enemy fighter.

I played X-Wing and TIE years ago... I thought the two sequels really sucked, though. (XvT and... the one where you picked up crap after every mission and decorated your room.)

I played the GBA version of 'Wings' to get a feel for what WCP Advance would be like.

man XWA has the best graphics of any game on pc (flight sim anyway)

u can shoot and blow wings of fighters peirce cockpits take the top of them and watch the body float out, its so incredibly realistic.

Rouge Leader for Game cube was fucken awsome to but that was more an arcade shooter then flight sim, though it was awsome..

the new rouge leader is coming out soom, its even better sort of a rebel assult thing with 300 times better graphics, its friggen awsome u can shear wing phylons of and everything and its coming on game cube which is the only problem.

also u can get upto 300 ships on 1 screen in XWA including capital ships and i think the new rouge leader is having around the same ships 2

I'm sure whatever the latest plane sim is has the best graphics -- Microsoft Combat Sim 2003 or what-not.

Actually, XWAs graphics always felt rather cheap to me -- like they were still using the polygons from X-Wing and TIE, but they were sloshing pretty cheap textures onto them to make them look 3D. That's also why I prefer the original X-Wing and TIE to the 'updated' versions...

One of the first games I played was the Jetfighter series ... I enjoyed it, although I really, really sucked at it. One of my proudest moments was finally landing on a carrier without wiping out.

I picked up X-Wing & TIE Fighter in a bundle a few years back ... they were sort of fun, but the atmosphere had aged badly and I didn't like the insanely difficult missions. (I don't think I ever got bast the second mission). Plus, all I ever really wanted to do was to fly A-Wings, anyway.

This will probably get me lynched or worse, but I also enjoyed FreeSpace - I don't think it brought anything significantly new to the table or helped me out in any way, though. I had a bit of fun with the mission editor (which ended badly when I found out I really, really sucked at making missions).

What helped me the most was probably playing WCIII & IV through on Invulnerable, because it taught me to be totally headstrong and ignorant of risk, which is kind of important, particularly in the last few missions. The "not dying" part came later.

u thought XvT was hard? u do know it has easy medium and hard settings dont u? and no offence dude, but i could wipe u in a tie bomber while u flew an a-wing or tie advanced (better stronger faster then a-wing)

ive doen every single mission on hard without dying once

I play the X-Wing Series too, and Freespace2, but my favourite Space Sims beside WC are the one with "real physics" like Independence Ware 1 and 2, and i'm really looking forware on the release of the fanmade game Babylon5: I have found her.

These games require new tactics and more skill than "traditional" space sims. Fighting there is like a deadly dance, and you can pull off insane maneuvers there.

lynx i agree, i love the realism in some flight sims, it would be good to be able to barrel roll an tighten a turn then lopp halfway cut afterburners and dropp on an enemys tail.. thats true dog fighting.

and not even XvT can do that, which is a little annoying, though i did just play a 2 v 1 game of XvT 2 pps against me i died but 3 times i killed TFA_bushy 14 times and i killed BOSS_Douge 8 times.. though douge was the only 1 to kill me.

this is in a 5 min period mind u

other space sims, uuuhhhh!!!

I haven't really played other space sims. I tried a little bit of the orginal XvT-didn't really like it. I played a demo of Tacyhon-a few similarities to P2 and P1 (I guess), but it was only a demo and I don't know if they still sale it in stores. As for Indepence war 2, I hated it. The story looks good, though, but I can't kill anything in it. I can't around to killing the enemies and 1 missile and I am dead. Basically, I am a WC type flier. My brother, though, is into a lot of flight sims, but I am really a startegy gamer.

Wow Loaf I thought for sure everyone had forgotten WoG. One of the best games I have ever played. A shame that I haven't played it in about 10 years. It was just so captivating, and playing Wing Commander at the same time, I liked the differences between both. If I remember correctly, was Aces of the Pacific a Dynamix game? Now that is the best WWII flight sim I have ever played, for its time a great game with so much to do (lots of plane choices, all types of missions and environments, medals, etc.). It's cool to hear that someone else liked these games a great deal because they are real good classics.

im not really into golden age sims, though battlefeild 45' is pretty cool, im more the blowing aliens to dust kind of guy...

but how does the handeling in wing co compare to the handeling in the other games? is it more fluid like tighter, a little choppy what would u describe it as?

personalyl XWA and XvT have far supperior handelinng then wing co and free lance while a little smoother still to rough on the stick not enough movment, though wing co properchy did bring about a great movment ratio in the games made it far more easy to pull of tricks and the like

I play Starlancer, X-Wing (Original), Star Trek Invasion, Colony Wars series, Overlord (D-Day), F-16 Fighting Falcon, iF/A-18E Carrier Strike Fighter and Warbirds,

Well, the X-Wing series is pretty similar to WC in terms of how the fighters handle, there are a few small differences (no afterburners- so no fuel gauge, shield and weapon systems work differently, etc.). Overall, the WC series is more engaging in an overall story because of the character interaction outside of and between missions. But I don't think that X-Wing was really trying to implement a real story, because they already had that with the overall Star Wars saga. Of note however, is that later on in the games, like in the Tie Fighter expansion, a storyline was attempted with Thrawn and Admiral Zaarin, but it still wasn't anything like WC's storyline. I'm guessing Lucasarts wanted to keep up with Origin in this manner, as all these games were coming out at around the same time. Btw, all of these comments are on just X-W and TF since I have never played the later games.

Iceblade said:
... I played a demo of Tacyhon-a few similarities to P2 and P1 (I guess), but it was only a demo and I don't know if they still sale it in stores...
Well, Starlancer is still around @ EB stores on the bargain shelf for $10 or less. You could prolly find a copy of Tachyon for about that much as well; you'd just likely hafta search a little bit harder...

Back