Flight Commander Mesh files

muzo

Spaceman
Anyone know how I can open these badboys up in 3ds max?? I would really like to start messing with the mesh files for the ships. Any extractors/importers into 3ds max?

Which direction? The ones in FC should be pretty similar to the ones you can get from Prophecy, so there's not too much point in extracting from FC. If you want to get other 3d models into FC not from Prophecy/WC, that's another story, buts it's doable. My old importer took an .obj file with only a single texture and a single mesh. But I'd start by first reading up on the ship.xml file format for the ship stats, which you would also need to provide.

Basically I want to look at a WCP model in 3ds max so I can see how to set up a model so it can be used as a ship in FC. Then I can hopefully build my own, but I haven’t been able to find any info on how I could go about looking at wcp models in 3ds max.

ok thnx I'll check that site out.
All I want to do is just take a 3ds max model and import it in FC so I can play around with it.

OK, I'll put up the mesh importer for Flight Commander over the weekend. Keep in mind the restrictions:

1) takes in a wavefront .obj file. You'll need to get some program to convert from 3ds to obj. Google around, you'll find something.
2) One mesh consisting of triangles and quads
3) One texture only

muzo said:
ok thnx I'll check that site out.
All I want to do is just take a 3ds max model and import it in FC so I can play around with it.

Ok, now I know how to import a model, I know the model can only be one texture, the model has to be an .obj so I can use the mesh converter. The only problem now is how the heck are the model's set up, what scale do they use, does the model use a bounding box ect ect..

Basically what I’ve been looking for all along is a way to convert the mesh.bin back to a simple .obj or whatever possible file extension which 3ds max can read. So I can Import it into the 3d program and pretty much dissect the model. Then I can determine the scale, axis orientation ect ect. and make my model. Right now I pretty much have all the things I need to import a model into FC but have no Idea how the modes are set up in 3d editing software. If I could just get an official model in 3d max I should be able to figure out how to make new ones and get them in game.

Back