Flashpaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ABM Treaty remains valid today because a lot of countries still believe in its value. The dissolution of one of the original negotiators of the treaty has no bearing on the treaty's validity today.

IF we do end up in WW3 it wont have been the US to fire the first shot. And if it did, then i kind of want a defense against nuclear missiles in place.

The idea is to prevent WWIII from happening. So far the proposed 'son of star wars' shield that Bush is championing has more going against it then for it. So far the best tactics seem to be diplomacy and deterrence.

About the missle defense system thing, while I don't claim to know alot about politics, as a US citizen I want this thing up there. I don't care if Bush has to break international law to do it. An anti-missle defense system is a good idea. I want it up there in case diplomacy fails one day.

And, just a question, why does that treaty thing ban anti-ballistic missle defense systems, and not ballistic missles? That seems really really stupid to me, someone care to explain?

IT was mainly because the Russians knew that we could build one and they couldnt,and they didnt feel it was fair that someday we could nuke them and they couldnt nuke us. So to keep the peace we signed a treaty with them saying we wouldnt build a defense system. Getting rid of nukes is a whole other thing altoghether.

But now the SOviet Union is no more and the Russians are not the only ones with nukes. The Russians are also not in a position to dictate such things to us anymore. And as soon as Bush declared that we were working on a system again, the Russians soon followed.

Has anybody read the fanfic Conquest by MIke WOng? Granted, it's Star Wars v.s Star Trek, but it has some interesting elements. Such as when Q tells Picard that introducing the Borg was for the good of Humanity, that it allowed the Federation to evolve. He says a lot of other things that seem a bit Tolwyn\Hitler-ish in retrospect.

Let's just not let this thread get out of hand, okay? These topics alwayse seem to be the ones that suddenly turn vicious and get killed by the mods. And that will be the last I will say of this here.

Originally posted by Supdon3
IT was mainly because the Russians knew that we could build one and they couldnt...

Actually, it's more like the other way around. Moscow has had a limited anti-ICBM system for decades. Washington still has nothing.

And while it's true Russia is in deep shit economically, you can't say they are no position to dictate terms. You should be glad that those 2000 nukes somewhere in the Russian landscapes aren't pointed our way right at this moment, cause we wouldn't be able to stop them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back