Flashpaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greywolf

Rear Admiral
I remember in WC IV when they described the effect of the Flashpak. IIRC, They said that it superheats the atmosphere inside the hull, basically turning the inside into an inferno. Does this mean that a fire destroys the ship? I know that it kills everyone inside, but does it actually do damage to the hull of the ship making it unsalvagable?

Well, the hull should remain farely intact. But everything within the ship is destroyed (i.e. technical equipment) and fuel and weapons are likely to explode and thus damaging the hull nevertheless.

From what we see of it when it is used in the beginning sequence it does do or chain of events does damage the ship.

Well.. when the flash-pak goes you can kiss the electronics,
the crew, the ordinance, the wiring, the plumbing, and in short just about everything short of the hull itself buh-bye.

Afterwards, it's probably cheaper just to build a new hull
then to pay for cleaning up what's left and putting it back
into service.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

You'd get massive waves of superheated air, melting and vapourising near enough everything in it's path.

The superstructure of the ship would remain more-or-less intact (apart from any secondary explosions caused by fuel, munitions etc) but all you'd have left is a lot of scrap metal.

Superheats the metal (and thus damages it) until the atmosphere ignights... which kills everyone and blows up any munitions/explosives/so forth onboard the ship.

Someone explain to me why flashpaks aren't used after WCIV? Are they deemed illegal weapons of mass destruction or something?

Originally posted by Dak
You'd get massive waves of superheated air, melting and vapourising near enough everything in it's path.

The superstructure of the ship would remain more-or-less intact (apart from any secondary explosions caused by fuel, munitions etc) but all you'd have left is a lot of scrap metal.

IIRC, something very similar happened to the Lexington in Fleet Action, and she was back in action in WC4.

PS: Why do I feel another Black Lance thread coming on? :)

Best, Raptor

I seem to recall we had this argument some time ago.

We know they have some limitations to their use. Although they are effective against many (older?) hull types, they are unable to penetrate certain materials/hulls e.g. the outer hull of the Versuvius. To my knowledge, there is nothing which says that they are or are not effective against the bug ships.

The morality of using such a weapon is debatable. To me, they are probably have a similar status to napalm or thermite plasma weapons - useful in certain situations, but not something that is regularly carried.

Originally posted by KatKiller
Someone explain to me why flashpaks aren't used after WCIV? Are they deemed illegal weapons of mass destruction or something?

Oh gods, not this again... :eek:

Sorry Kat, nothing personal, it's just that the last time this happened the thread turned into a debate on morality and Nazis, and my head still hurts...

Basically my feelings on why it's not used today are

1.The Black Lance (Space Nazis) used 'em. 'Nuff said.
2. Morality issues (see below)

The morality behind the 'pak is debatable (ouch...flashbacks), but in the end it's still like picking between napalm and nukes. Or, as the say, "I give you a choice, you can be gutted or decapitated!"

The problem is, every major government in the world has elements within that are just as bad as the Nazis. It sickens me that people are too blind to see the truth.

Sorry to destroy your happy little world, but every government will act like that!

I'm sorry to ruin your high opinion of yourself, but we're not "blind" enough to believe everything everyone tells us in an offensive manner.

The burden of proof is upon you.

The mere fact that we demonise such elements as the Black Lance, yet organisations such as the CIA, MI5 and all sorts of special and secret units are 'for the good' of their respective nations.

In a manner, the BL was for the good of the Confederation. Bioweapons so bad? Well many countries tested nuclear weapons on their own personnel, or even natives of south Pacific islands (there have been numerous reported birth defects.

Also possibly the most inhumane test of them all. Hiroshima. Practically left untouched by the USAF to gain an insight into how effective a nuke is on a city.

The Black Lance do not look so bad after all.

True considering the CIA and MI5 are always planning genocide. Just last week they attempted to kill 95% of the population because they didnt match the CIA's idea of PURE human being.

OK, we know there are government agencies and that we will never know what they really get up to. But even if they do perform illegal actions, they don't go around acting like the Lance.

Correct me if I'm worng but hasn't George Bush already broken international agreements regarding pollution and spacial weaponry? Would this be considered illegal on a global scale?

I'm not an expert but I think that George W Bush hasn't broken the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty but probably has no qualms about violating that Treaty's ban on anti-ballistic defense systems.

seriously though if bush carries on the way he is hes gonna start WW3 but i dont want to start a political debate here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back