Ferrets

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I liked the Morningstar better than the Sabre, too. But her missile loadout was indeed pathetic, compared to the one the Sabre carried (which was just excellent).

Yep. Image recs, friend or foe, dumbfire, everything but the proverbial kitchen sink. I've always perfered firepower to both speed and shields (the best defense is a good offense, and all that), so the Sabre suited me just fine.

I think the best fighter-bomber in WC was the Vindicator. Seriously, I found her more effective than the Avenger or Longbow.

True, though that was skewed by the fact that any capship in WC4 could be finished by three torps in a single run. Against more modern ships, those fighter bombers would have a much tougher time of it.

Best, Raptor

[Edited by Raptor on 07-12-2001 at 03:32]

I think one reason why the Morningstar had a crap missile config. was that it was still in prototype stages. I havent played WC2 in a long time so I dont know what the Morningstar's production status was when you go half-way through the game. Or maybe that Mace took up a bit of space, I dunno.

Originally posted by Raptor
Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I liked the Morningstar better than the Sabre, too. But her missile loadout was indeed pathetic, compared to the one the Sabre carried (which was just excellent).

Yep. Image recs, friend or foe, dumbfire, everything but the proverbial kitchen sink. I've always perfered firepower to both speed and shields (the best defense is a good offense, and all that), so the Sabre suited me just fine.
The Sabre was ok, but I found the most effective blend of protection, firepower, speed and maneuvrability was the Rapier from WC2. I really really liked and she looked cool.

Originally posted by Raptor

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt I think the best fighter-bomber in WC was the Vindicator. Seriously, I found her more effective than the Avenger or Longbow.

True, though that was skewed by the fact that any capship in WC4 could be finished by three torps in a single run. Against more modern ships, those fighter bombers would have a much tougher time of it.

Best, Raptor

Well, since you fought against Confed, you were fighting against the most modern ships of that time. I have to agree though, that with 3 torps, you can't do much against a Nephilim ship. But neither with 4.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 07-12-2001 at 07:45]

The Rapier was far too weak in WC2. The armor is just awful, and the shields are pretty low. I think it seems like such a bad ship even more because they gave you harder missions with a bad craft (like the mission with Kur- probably the hardest in WC2). It seems to falter mainly when you have to fight heavier craft. It would be much better to use the Rapier exclusively as a patrol fighter like the Ferret.

I very seldom had any problems in missions whre I flew a Rapier. Especially not in the Kur mission, maybe in the Khasra mission. But still, I found most Rapier missions quite solvable. Probably because I really like the Rapier, you fight better in a ship you like (what wisdom! :))

Want to know what I think? Give me a Broadsword or a Crossbow and I really feel safe out there in space... :):cool:

I agree whole-heartedly mpanty! :)

Mekt- you make a good point- I fly well with a Scimitar, for example cause I like it (don't everyone give me shit about that either ;)).

Originally posted by Hobbie
The Rapier was far too weak in WC2. The armor is just awful, and the shields are pretty low. I think it seems like such a bad ship even more because they gave you harder missions with a bad craft (like the mission with Kur- probably the hardest in WC2). It seems to falter mainly when you have to fight heavier craft. It would be much better to use the Rapier exclusively as a patrol fighter like the Ferret.

The 'problem' with the Rapier is that it is a light/medium fighter, not a heavy. Like I said in my previous post about the Epee, you just have to learn to play to its strengths, which are ...

Speed : While slower then an Epee or Ferret, the Rapier is still faster than anything the Kats have.

Manouvreability : The Rapier is as manouvreable as an Epee, which is better then a Ferret or anything the Kats have, including their light fighters.

Firepower : The Particle Cannon/Lasers on the Rapier lack the damage capacity of Mass Drivers or Neutron guns, but what they lack in damage, they more then make up in range. If you use your speed and manouvreability to keep the enemy at a distance, you can deal out significant damage while taking little yourself.

The key to the Rapier is to treat it as a glorified light fighter, and not get fooled by the 4 guns into thinking its a heavy. IIRC, in WC1 they say that the Rapier is a light fighter with the shields of a medium.

I wonder if we fly well in the ships we like, or just like the ships we fly well in?

The Epee and Rapier are great ships if you can keep the enemy at a distance. If you don't like to fly like that, you will die pretty quickly and often, so you won't 'like' them.

p.s. just because I've posted defending the attributes of the Epee & Rapier doesn't mean that I like them as much as other ships. Give me a Raptor or T-bolt any day :p

[Edited by AzraeL on 07-12-2001 at 18:08]

My WC1 and 2 memories are a bit lost but I do remember liking the Morningstar. WC3 was the Thunderbolt, which remains probably my fav fighter. WC4 might have been the Banshee. I liked the Vindicator, but found her handeling weird; I couldn't decide if she was a weak bomber or a strong fighter. I had a problem with her sheilds when I flew her (all of, what, 4 times? ;) ). WC:p belongs to the Panther. Don't ask me why either. The Vampire was good and all but there was something about the Panther that was...nice

EDIT: Oh, and my utter fav bomber was the Banshee from WC: Armada. :D

[Edited by LeHah on 07-12-2001 at 20:34]

Originally posted by AzraeL
The 'problem' with the Rapier is that it is a light/medium fighter, not a heavy. Like I said in my previous post about the Epee, you just have to learn to play to its strengths, which are ...

Speed : While slower then an Epee or Ferret, the Rapier is still faster than anything the Kats have.

Manouvreability : The Rapier is as manouvreable as an Epee, which is better then a Ferret or anything the Kats have, including their light fighters.

Firepower : The Particle Cannon/Lasers on the Rapier lack the damage capacity of Mass Drivers or Neutron guns, but what they lack in damage, they more then make up in range. If you use your speed and manouvreability to keep the enemy at a distance, you can deal out significant damage while taking little yourself.

The key to the Rapier is to treat it as a glorified light fighter, and not get fooled by the 4 guns into thinking its a heavy. IIRC, in WC1 they say that the Rapier is a light fighter with the shields of a medium.

I've always though of the Epee as a companion to the Rapier, after all, the Rapier is a small but combat-worthy light sword, and the Epee is a dervivative off the fencing foil, if Irecall. Both are fairly similar in design.

The last part reminds me of battlecruisers...it's always been said that despite their big canons, they were CRUISERS, not battleships.

Originally posted by Ghost
The Wasp the counterpart of the Ferret ????? maybe the Piranha...
Swarmers=Robotech missiles :cool:

by counterpart i ment the fastest fighter with very fast hitting guns.
*imagines a pair of dust guns on a ferret*
esmil2.gif

that would teach those fleabags a lesson

Yes, i know but the wasp resist more the firepower of the bugs that the Ferret the firepower of the Kilrathi.
And the Ferret IIRC is a recon-fighter, and the Wasp was designed to intercept enemy bombers that can destroy, in this case, the Midway. before they enter the torpedo launching zone !!!!

Originally posted by Ghost
Yes, i know but the wasp resist more the firepower of the bugs that the Ferret the firepower of the Kilrathi.
And the Ferret IIRC is a recon-fighter, and the Wasp was designed to intercept enemy bombers that can destroy, in this case, the Midway. before they enter the torpedo launching zone !!!!

i once asked TC if a raptor could possibley beat a vampire. the firepower per second of wc2 and earlier fighters is slower than a prophesy era fighters shield recharge. almost like a phase shielded fighter. i want to slaughter them all, not be invincible

Back