Feline (Kilrathi?) mention in Privateer 2

Ghost

Emperor
There is a mention in P2 about an unknown alien race (possibly the same alien race from below) that destroyed a spaceship (Sergaray 2?) in an unknown system (outside the Tri-system it seems ) and the discovery of alien technology that belongs to an (unknown) feline alien race (maybe the Kilrathi) with space travel technology.

This clip is in the 3rd CD under the name of 37_S.TGV, you must use Mario *HCl* Brito WC movie player.

Interesting...

I don't think there's anything about a *feline* alien race in that scene -- it talks about 'alien technology similar to that discovered on Karatikus'.

(That scene is part of the P2 plot, BTW -- did *anybody* else actually play through the game :)?)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I don't think there's anything about a *feline* alien race in that scene -- it talks about 'alien technology similar to that discovered on Karatikus'.

(That scene is part of the P2 plot, BTW -- did *anybody* else actually play through the game :)?)

I'm working on it....

P2 is odd though....I'll accept it's in the WC universe, but it's weird that the people of the Tri-System apparently evolved there, yet they use the Terran dating system....I suppose they could have been heavily influenced by Confed at some point in their history, though.

I think they know of the Kilrathi too....as the Faldari sounds like a very Kilrathi name, and has the same basic shape as a Dralthi (especially the Faldari mk II)

All Tri-System citizens - descendants of Piligrims. {suggestion}

Imagine, one of the Morvan Drive Pilgrim Colony Ship during Final Exodus of 2399 was *lost in space* (travelled in autopilot mode in far and unknown cluster of space). Then first colony was established on Anhur, then expanded in Tri-System..

It's might be funny :D

Originally posted by Black Joker
All Tri-System citizens - descendants of Piligrims. {suggestion}

Imagine, one of the Morvan Drive Pilgrim Colony Ship during Final Exodus of 2399 was *lost in space* (travelled in autopilot mode in far and unknown cluster of space). Then first colony was established on Anhur, then expanded in Tri-System..

It's might be funny :D

But the humans or humanoids were there about a milennia ago

Originally posted by Ghost

But the humans or humanoids were there about a milennia ago

Yeah....it's blantantly said that Humans come from Anhur ("The cradle of humanity")...they must have developed there, because the the colonists who went from Anhur to Bex before the D-Drive took 119 years to get there....

On the other hand, their culture either developed almost exactly as Earth's did, or the Terrans had alot of contact with them (enough for people to have Terran names like Santana and Joe, and to use many Terran phrases)

I've been considering doing a fan fic about the Tri-System's involvement in the Kilrathi War.

And they speak in english or spanish!

But where (in the WCUmap) the Tri-sytem could fit?
maybe close to the Terran and Kilrathi border.

Originally posted by Ghost
And they speak in english or spanish!

But where (in the WCUmap) the Tri-sytem could fit?
maybe close to the Terran and Kilrathi border.

I imagined it in the Beta Quadrant, "above" Clarke Quadrant in Gemini....far enough away, but still "reasonably" close to the Confederation so that the social interaction could occur. Maybe the people of the Tri-System were so thrilled to see other humans that co-evolved that they tried to be as Terran as possible. Maybe Confed even helped them chart their space (to explain names like "Hades", "Hepheastus" and such.

I think the same, above the Clark Quadrant seems to be the best location, and maybe some Pilgrims found the Tri-System in one of their voyages therefore the Terran names there.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^:

On the other hand, their culture either developed almost exactly as Earth's did, or the Terrans had a lot of contact with them (enough for people to have Terran names like Santana and Joe, and to use many Terran phrases)

Maybe. Then again, a lot of what we read or hear in the game could be translation for the sake of the game. (When the Kilrathi spoke English they weren’t always “speaking” English, for example.) It’s easy to assume too much.

No, they speak in english and in P2 they speak in spanish, you must be wrong if you assume other things.

Originally posted by Nemesis

Maybe. Then again, a lot of what we read or hear in the game could be translation for the sake of the game. (When the Kilrathi spoke English they weren’t always “speaking” English, for example.) It’s easy to assume too much.

Yes....that's ok for some things (like calling underwear "trunks" and such...). That could come from the magical translation we hear. OR, they very well could be speaking English.

Still though, that explanation wouldn't work for alot of things. Planet names especially....

Bex, Anhur, Crius, Karakitus are all fine to use...

But names like Hephaestus, Hermes, and Hades are proper nouns from Earth mythology...

There are a few other things that are clearly Terran influenced (like one of the wingmen wears "Cuban heels"...unless there's a place called "Cuba" on one of those planets, this comes from Earth....)

I still think the best explanation is at some point...whenever that may be....people from the Tri-System came into contact with people from the Confederation. The Tri-System admired the culture of Confed so much that they began to adopt it as their own (with a certain degree of variance, which you would probably find from system to system within the Confederation...) Or, the Confed attempt to control the people of the Tri-System at some point....

About it's location, i've also been thinking that possibly it's somewhat close to Earth...it may not be on the map, but that could have simply been an oversight. I mean, it's not like adding on a whole sector or anything...it's just three systems....if they're near Earth, that allows them to have come into contact with them LONG ago.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^:

But names like Hephaestus, Hermes, and Hades are proper nouns from Earth mythology...

There are a few other things that are clearly Terran influenced (like one of the wingmen wears "Cuban heels"...)

Even these could be “handy” translations. But I think the best example we could point to is Colonel Slade “Tex” Carver whose persona is clearly “too close for comfort”. But it remains hard to know, as a matter of canon anyway, exactly where such “artfulness” does or should give way to the “reality” being depicted. (Also complicating matters is P2's tongue-in-cheek flair.) I’d agree, though, that at some point the “writers” have to be held accountable for their “writing” whatever their real intent.

I still think the best explanation is at some point...whenever that may be....people from the Tri-System came into contact with people from the Confederation. The Tri-System admired the culture of Confed so much that they began to adopt it as their own (with a certain degree of variance, which you would probably find from system to system within the Confederation...) Or, the Confed attempt to control the people of the Tri-System at some point....

Well, it’s one explanation. But the arguable connections between the Confederation and Tri-System are few and far between. Certainly too few and far to conclude that the Tri-System must be enamored of the Confederation or that the Confederation once tried to “control” the Tri-System. (Don’t mean to rain on your parade; fanfic is always free to see or recast whatever it wants.:)) To be sure, there are references to “Confederation” (and “confederation”), but some of these (and so perhaps all of these) are referring only to the Tri-System itself. The Tri-System appears to use a 12-month calendar, but IIRC some of its months are 33-37 days long. There’s also the Talon-like (or Gratha-like!) ship, which is treated in the game as if it were (and so could be) some kind of “alien-intruding” ship. And of course there are the familiar words and phrases, though how literally they should be taken is an open question. (The use of “human” is another good example, but it’s rendered ambiguous by the use of “humanoid”.)

The point is that were another bona fide (Origin-approved) P2 game developed, there would be nothing of any real substance to complain about (in terms of continuity at least) if that game depicted the Tri-System as having developed quite independently of, and with little or no contact with, the Confederation.

About it's location, i’ve also been thinking that possibly it's somewhat close to Earth...that allows them to have come into contact with them LONG ago.

Origin has stated that the Tri-System is located in “an isolated section” of the WC universe and “is not currently a part of the Confederation”. While any parsing is debatable, the word “isolated” must mean some sort of segregation, perhaps alluding to distance and/or other “difficulties” when it comes to contact. The word “currently” is more curious still since it’s superfluous in the basic statement. It therefore can imply at least the possibility for contact and at most the fact of contact, though the time frame–past, present, or future–is up for grabs.

Their military is called CIS and is at least at one point refered to as Confed. I always assumed it was the same as the Terran Confederation. Just because it's not part of the TC now, doesn't mean it wasn't previously. Some part of the TC could have landed on Anhur and was cut off from the rest of Confed. Also the date is 100 yrs after WCP. This could have happened early in the TC's lifetime, and that would allow for generations to have passed for the people on Anhur to grow and expand to the entire Tri-System.

Originally posted by Hoops
Their military is called CIS and is at least at one point refered to as Confed. I always assumed it was the same as the Terran Confederation. Just because it's not part of the TC now, doesn't mean it wasn't previously. Some part of the TC could have landed on Anhur and was cut off from the rest of Confed. Also the date is 100 yrs after WCP. This could have happened early in the TC's lifetime, and that would allow for generations to have passed for the people on Anhur to grow and expand to the entire Tri-System.

But they are quite clear that humanoids evolved on Anhur. They were there 2000 years ago...

Originally posted by Hoops
Their military is called CIS and is at least at one point refered to as Confed.

CIS stands for Central Intelligence Services. The Tri-System appears to be a confederation and so would understandably refer to itself in that way. (Among other references, we’re told at the beginning of the game that each of the three systems has “its own rich variety of technological, religious and racial cultures”, and that the three “have co-existed peacefully for over two thousand years”.)

Some part of the [Terran Confederation] could have landed on Anhur and was cut off from the rest of Confed. Also the date is 100 yrs after WCP.

If the Tri-System year equals the Confederation year, then your proposed history doesn’t work since the Tri-System has existed for over 2,000 years and the Confederation obviously hasn’t. So either your history is wrong or the years are not the same after all. (You’d also have to explain why Anhur is described as the “cradle of humanity”.)

And the Bible says everything was created in 7 days. Yeah you just see the whole of the scientific community bowing to that one...

For every straightforward answer, there are many explainations. Cradle of Humanity could merely mean thats the origin of everyone in Tri-Star systems. They could very well have been a lost colonization ship which could have lost track of their dates. Unless Johnny knows the answer, then I'll shut my yap. :D

Back