Feature add list for Flight Commander and question

Kyran said:
I've been trying to get this one working. I have a ship named $all1 and it is an enemy. When I enter the nav I set Ship_setForceEject("$all1", true); and it doesn't seem to work.

I've also tried
  • Ship_setForceEject($all1, true);
  • Ship_setForceEject("$all1", true forceject);
  • Ship_setForceEject("$all1", false);
  • Ship_setForceEject(shipid, true);
  • Ship_setForceEject(all1, true);
  • Ship_setForceEject("$all1", forceject);
  • Ship_setForceEject("$all", forceeject);
Yes, the correct code is
Code:
  Ship_setForceEject("$all1", true);

But there was a bug on my part. I've posted a new patch here.
This allows enemies to eject, and gets rid of the spinning on ejects.

http://flightcommander.solsector.net/FlightCommander1.4patch2.zip

Kyran said:
I've been thinking about how the captions for wingmen might work...
Yeah, probably will do something roughly like that.

Kyran said:
  • A script to determine whether or not a ship is friendly.
  • A tigger thats set if you open fire on team mates.
  • A script to see which ship shot a particular ship down.
  • A script to determine how many ships the player has shot down.
There are really two questions here, can the engine do it, and is there a way to see it from a script. The engine does not keep track of kills done by anyone but the player currently. The rest of them are variables in the engine which currently aren't exposed to scripting just yet, but good ideas.

eddieb said:
Can already skip the default cutscenes. Chosing movies will be easy to implement, but nobody has actually created any movie content that I have seen. You make it, we'll play it.

Would it be possible to implement and intro option of a series of pictures with audio in the background? Like a slide show. Think Medal of Honour: Allied Assault.

I'll give an example. I have three pictures, two video files five audio files. I want the first video file to play with an audio file. When that is finished I'll have the first image file come up backed with the second audio file and so on.

Also, is it possible to directly link missions? As in, when I finish one mission the next starts straght away without being taken to the menu.

Kyran said:
Would it be possible to implement and intro option of a series of pictures with audio in the background? Like a slide show. Think Medal of Honour: Allied Assault.

I'll give an example. I have three pictures, two video files five audio files. I want the first video file to play with an audio file. When that is finished I'll have the first image file come up backed with the second audio file and so on.

Also, is it possible to directly link missions? As in, when I finish one mission the next starts straght away without being taken to the menu.

Actually I never played Medal of Honor. But I think the best way to accomplish this is for you to just make a video. It shouldn't be too bad for me to play a video between the title screen and the gameflow.

As far as linking missions, I don't see a difference between that, and just combining your missions into one large one.

eddieb said:
Actually I never played Medal of Honor. But I think the best way to accomplish this is for you to just make a video. It shouldn't be too bad for me to play a video between the title screen and the gameflow.
I was just thinking about the file size.

eddieb said:
As far as linking missions, I don't see a difference between that, and just combining your missions into one large one.
Multiple routes, complex cut scenes and, Privateer style gameplay. When global varibles are included the possiblilites will be large. The only real problem I see is wingmen.

Kyran said:
Multiple routes, complex cut scenes and, Privateer style gameplay. When global variables are included the possibilities will be large. The only real problem I see is wingmen.

The advantages of being able to link the missions would also be a work around to the one way NAV limitations. You get to a certain NAV and you get a custom com menu with a few destination options, done by scripting. When you select one a variable is set. When the NAV is exited (On NAV exit function) the game runs through the script reading the command to load another mission.

Kyran said:
The advantages of being able to link the missions would also be a work around to the one way NAV limitations. You get to a certain NAV and you get a custom com menu with a few destination options, done by scripting. When you select one a variable is set. When the NAV is exited (On NAV exit function) the game runs through the script reading the command to load another mission.

Actually what I'd recommend doing in that case is:

You get to a certain NAV and you get a custom com menu with a few destination options, done by scripting. When you select one a variable is set.

Then, based on that variable, you just do different things in the next nav.

That works for two paths, but say you want to go back to a NAV, or don't have a defined amount of NAV points.

That is the rub, and what would essientially be required to return to a nav like you left it would be to set a bunch of check commands in the script than implement these values into the "same" ships when you "return" to the nav.

Anyway, I have an idea about something to add to the scripting as far as the nav names go:

Code:
Nav_namechange(int navpoint, new nav string);

This is so you can alter the name of a navpoint whenever the story of the mission dictates a "change" in the next navpoint to go to.

For example, in UE: You want to go to the Vakoth/Dralthi nav while nav_selected will register no text as there is not supposed to be a nav selected until you make the choice of selecting the Vakoth/Dralthi navpoint.

Also, the story of the mission may require the player to discontinue their current nav route and go rescue somebody.

How about a script to set how damaged a component is?

Mostly just need a way to set up a transport so that it is turretless.

That's a good idea, I'll have to put it on my list. In the mean time, you can just copy the ship.xml file, and remove the turrets there.

For fighters? Yeah, there is a ship_sethitpoints as well as set shields and armor for all four sides of the craft.

I got a great suggestion, how about making an ejection pod mesh? and xml for it too. that would be great and the sar could really pick a pod up aka salvage it, like if your best friend ejects, you can get an SAR out there and pick him up in the next mission. Or you are the SAR and YOU pick up your friend.

Ejecting is already implemented. Press control-E to eject yourself, and enjoy the cutscene. There is also an option in the mission editor and via scripting to force a particular pilot to eject. They'll even have an appropriate eject comm. Right now, though, the player and AI can't tractor beam.

Oh, whats the mesh to force an AI to eject and, what name goes in the parenthises? I have a ship you made its "panther" but, the pilots name is "Joey" Which one goes in the ( , true)? I keep having a plot character dieing in a mission I have. Yes I'm making a campaign, If you could add that Tractor Beam in, it would make this a bit easier, because it would be cool to rescue a pilot. Have a cutscene when you rescue a pilot, like in Prophecy. When they brought him in after he was picked up (after you land of course.)

You're probably looking at
Code:
Ship_setForceEject(string shipid, boolean forceject);

So in the mission editor there's a field named "name in scripts". The name can be anything you want. So lets say you type in pilot2. Then the call would look like

Code:
Ship_setForceEject("pilot2", true);

Ok, thanks! :) Another question, not envolving FC, I have a splashscreen and song for it, I have it in a folder, how do i share it? Just liked to know so i can get feedback

No, on create would be better. And you need a separate script file, you don't put scripts directly in the mission editor. Please read the scripting instructions page, and look at my example missions.

Back