Favorite Wing Commander Movie Scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
See this is what I don't see where you are coming from. Yes it's possible that Knight may just plausible that he escaped. As far as I can see, the shot shows knight in his cockpit, and like 0.0 seconds later his ship explodes like a tinderbox, in about 0.3 seconds. So he has that 0.4 second gap maybe at the most to have escaped from his craft.

However, the shot shows him in the craft, the craft exploding in on him. The very next frame, with nothing in between, shows the craft exploding, with no pod shooting off. There's no time gap (i.e. another shot of Paladin) for a pod to escape and for us to see it, nor is there a shot of anything escaping from the cockpit.

I can appreciate you explaining how it is possible for this to happen, but you ask someone who didn't play Wing Commander what happens in this scene, they'll say Knight dies, and that clearly shows what the filmmaker was trying to make out. If you think that Chris Roberts isn't intending to portray Knight's death here, then you're truly fooling yourselves. A later shot shows Angel ejecting from her Rapier. The shot shows a much smaller region of space, yet it takes far longer than half a second for the pod and the fighter not to be on screen together, let alone appear together at all.

What this means is that Chris Roberts intended to portray Knights death in this shot. I dare you to argue otherwise.

Originally posted by Dougie
What this means is that Chris Roberts intended to portray Knights death in this shot. I dare you to argue otherwise.

Why would I argue about someone's intentions? I can't see into Chris Roberts head, nor have I ever claimed to. It's quite likely that he meant it to portray Knights death. It doesn't really matter however, as no matter what he intended to portray, Knight is obviously not dead...

Knight's fighter explodes
Knight is later seen alive
Ergo: Knight did not explode with his fighter.

Originally posted by TC
Why would I argue about someone's intentions? I can't see into Chris Roberts head, nor have I ever claimed to. It's quite likely that he meant it to portray Knights death. It doesn't really matter however, as no matter what he intended to portray, Knight is obviously not dead...

Knight's fighter explodes
Knight is later seen alive
Ergo: Knight did not explode with his fighter.

Maybe he's meant to be Kenny from South Park. Yeah, I can hear you all groaning out there at my bad joke. :p

Okay happy now. I see where you're coming from now, like, it's got inconsitencies but it's cool if it can fit in with the timeline (because it creates a fuller picture), and that's where LOAF et al come in right? Like I say, we can make up our own minds. I'd love to have the movie fit perfectly with the games and books, but it needs a little work in our heads like the old Buffy movie gets (when adapted as a comic book) to fit with the series.

Just wish the movie wasn't so...blergh. I like the opening credits though.

but actually what happens is it goes from Knight going 'I'm hit' and switches to Paladin going 'almost there' then it switches back to Knight's cockpit for about a second as it explodes on him and he seems to be hit because he starts slumping forward, then it switches to an exterior shot of the ship blowing up. Could someone who has frame advance on their VCR or a dvd describe in better deal what goes on in Knight's cockpit? I'm using a crappy video recorder/TV and using a taped WC off the TV.

Okay, I watched through it in freeze-frame on the (Japanese!) DVD and it was fairly interesting.

He *does* know that it's time to eject -- he reads off "Stabilizers gone! Shields offline!" after being hit. He also does survive the initial explosion that destroys his ship... you see a flash in back of his cockpit, but he's still manning the controls when it subsides. It then cuts to an external shot of his fighter being hit... but then to a shot of Paladins face before going back to Knight's Broadsword actually exploding.

Yo dougie there are major Inconsistancies in the Buffy movie to buffy series. I watched the buffy movie the other day and the dance they are preparing for is there senior dance but the beginning of the buffy series buffy starts as a freshman in highschool (unless buffy was a real skanky 14 year old, which Kristy swanson can't pull off correctly cause she looks to be 22 years old in that movie) . so that analogy doesn't work in my opinion when comparing consistencies between the wc games and movies.

Fair enough, the movie is much less inconsistent with buffy than the wc movie is to the wc games. But there's a graphic novel which adapts the movie to fit with the series. It makes her younger etc.

LOAF, I must have a different version of the movie to you or something.
In mine,
- cuts to Knight going 'I'm hit'
- then cut to Paladin going 'almost there, steady'
- then a cut, a definite cut to Knight and there's a big explosion in his cockpit and he starts screaming
- cuts to his ship exploding
- cuts to Paladin's face
- cuts back to Knight's ship finishing exploding. If you watch carefully, the last two external shots of Knight's fighter kind of overlap. But the ship is definitely in pieces by the end of the second last external shot, it simply finishes exploding by in the very last shot.

In my sorid experiences on this board, what LOAF says, goes.

Oh for pete's sake lehah don't be such a mindless groupie.
Watch the movie and see for yourself. I'm not wrong about those shots. No way.

Originally posted by Ghost
Surely Chris Roberts himself is crying and all of us are concerned and worrried by your declaration

Hmmm.... :Not confused: Nobody cares.

Hey, sure I dont care what are you gonna do!

I only said my opinion about something:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back