As for other starships i like:

-Rapier I & II (WC)

-WhiteStar (B5)
advancedwhitestar.jpg

-Thunderbolt Mk3 (B5)
thunderb.jpg

-Starfury Mk2 (B5)
fury_tn.JPG

and of course this baby (custom made russian starship based on Narn ship design):
SCHRIV-Russian_profile.jpg

Oh, man. Tough question.

My favorites, in no particular order:

X-Wing (SW)
Arrow (WC3)
Excalibur (WC3)
Broadsword (WC2)
Rapier II (WC2)

Some ships from FS2 are coming to mind, but they really didn't grab onto me.

The Apollo (FS1) and Scimitar are the only ones that pop to my mind for favorites going by looks alone.

Every time I see that "Space Ship One" I keep thinking they should just put a gun on it so they can claim the first fighter in space.

The Soviets tested a 30mm cannon on one of their Salyuts -- for blowing up satellites.

That said, there's something darned romantic about a Gemini spacecraft -- if they'd ever managed Blue Gemini, that would be my winner for this contest. A Cold War scenario with pilots scrambling to their Titan II rockets to shoot down Soviet orbital missile platforms would be pretty neat.

I know the USAF has at some point equipped ASAT missiles to F-15 fighters. Was there ever a scenario envisioned during the Cold War that would include F-15s shooting down Soviet orbital platforms, or were these missiles primarily for communications sattelites?

Dragon1 said:
I know the USAF has at some point equipped ASAT missiles to F-15 fighters. Was there ever a scenario envisioned during the Cold War that would include F-15s shooting down Soviet orbital platforms, or were these missiles primarily for communications sattelites?

Basically, anything in low earth orbit that was found offensive.

This doesn't, however, often include comm satellites, as they're usually found in geosyncrhonous orbit, waaaaaay beyond the reach of ASAT range on its best day.

Hey Death, what is the payload of an ASAT? I wouldn't immagine that anything going boom in low earth orbit would need much of an emplosive charge to get the job done.

There was no explosive warhead, the ALMV (Air-Launched Miniature Vehicle, the formal name for the ASAT weapon you're thinking of) relied purely on kinetic energy (not insubstantial, at orbital velocities) for its damage potential, using an infrared-guided homing vehicle.

ups
You'll maybe right about that.
I just stumbled over that page while googeling for a good picture

offtopic: where is the editbutton in the other post?

I always thought the X-Wing looked awesome from behind especialy but the new R-170 is pretty nice too other favorites include:
Hornet(WC1)
Saber(WC2)
Broadsword(WC3)
Starfury(B5)
TIE Phantom and Defender (SWEU)

This is kinda fun since as soon as I leave the page I come up with more but then I for get again)

I do not have an order of preference of the fighter ships I like but my favourites..

1. Viper I and II from the Battlestar Galactica Series
2. Rapier II (Wing Commander 2)
3. X-Wing (Need I say more)
4. VF-1S Veritech, . YF-19 and YF-21 Veritech (Macross/Robotech Series)
5. Excalibur (Wing Commander 3)
6. Scimitar (Wing Commander 1)
7. Skygrasper (Gundam Seed)
8. Eagle (Freelancer)
9. Titan (Freelancer)
10. Shroud (Starlancer)
11. Otana (Xwing: Alliance)
12. Centurion (Privateer)

and the lists goes on for me

Bandit LOAF said:
That said, there's something darned romantic about a Gemini spacecraft -- if they'd ever managed Blue Gemini, that would be my winner for this contest. A Cold War scenario with pilots scrambling to their Titan II rockets to shoot down Soviet orbital missile platforms would be pretty neat.
That is pretty damn cool.

Back