Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Pliers (WC4)

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Irish Girl (WCA)

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally posted by Delance
WC society is not modeled in a speculative way about 700 years of evolution. Besides usual conventions like the use of credits, the social interaction is pretty much not far more advanced than Top Gun and WW2 movies, with the notable exception of female combat pilots.

I actually enjoy spot the refference when playing Wing Commander. Whether they have Maverick in the game or hunting down secret weapons akin to the Nazis Ho IX, the game and movie is chocka block with nods to movies like Das Boot and Star Wars.

How didn't I remember that? Is her by any chance usually not referred to as "Sparks" in the novel?

Just the opposite, IIRC -- the book *only* calls her Sparks, and not her given name (I'm not *entirely* sure on that -- but I know that Andrew Keith, who'd only read the novels and wasn't familiar with WC2, had assumed that Sparks and Doomsday didn't have official names... and so he named her something like Sparkowski in the first draft of False Colors).

Originally posted by Delance

WC society is not modeled in a speculative way about 700 years of evolution. Besides usual conventions like the use of credits, the social interaction is pretty much not far more advanced than Top Gun and WW2 movies, with the notable exception of female combat pilots.

But it doesn’t appear to be from a “social evolution” per se, but for the needs of war, as already stated on this thread. In other words, it was caused mainly by the necessity more than anything else. [/B]

I'm the person who stated that '40 years of war means they'd have to shift women up to the front'. :p The initial assumption that Preacher made, that maintaining fighters was a man's job (with his 'man's world' comment) was likely incorrect at this time, because they would have to have more women on the flight line at least in support roles...

Come to think about it, there were a lot of female factory workers in WW2... and they also learned to fix their own cars, if they drove ambulances.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Just the opposite, IIRC -- the book *only* calls her Sparks, and not her given name (I'm not *entirely* sure on that -- but I know that Andrew Keith, who'd only read the novels and wasn't familiar with WC2, had assumed that Sparks and Doomsday didn't have official names... and so he named her something like Sparkowski in the first draft of False Colors).

I think the only place where I've seen their official names used would be in Freedom Flight, otherwise...

Originally posted by Wedge009
They already are, Phil. They already are...
Indeed. Amen to that!
Originally posted by Haesslich
She didn't look all that sweet to me in Prophecy. :p...
Agreed. Both her looks and her demeanor were more hard-edged than in WC3. But, it was the WC 3 Rachel I was talkin' about; guess I shoulda specified such.

Also, she got married & divorced (w/ Blair) in the interim, so I guess that only makes sense. Divorce has a way of doing that to people (esp. women, from what I've noted).

Incredible! I remember details about this book! I think I do start to remember her now... I think the Concordia’s special appearance threw me off.

Originally posted by Haesslich
I'm the person who stated that '40 years of war means they'd have to shift women up to the front'. :p

Yes but it was also you that made the 700 years one. The former is correct. :)

Come to think about it, there were a lot of female factory workers in WW2... and they also learned to fix their own cars, if they drove ambulances.

WW2 had good effects in women’s liberation. WC reflects WW2, so it has a similar effect. :)

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
I actually enjoy spot the refference when playing Wing Commander. Whether they have Maverick in the game or hunting down secret weapons akin to the Nazis Ho IX, the game and movie is chocka block with nods to movies like Das Boot and Star Wars.

The references are good. The captain of "Das Boot" is the XO of the Tiger Claw.

But the destroyer space sonar scene didn't quite work out. Sure thing, people can buy sound in space, but SONAR? That doesn't work with the suspension of disbelief. (before someone flames me, I'm being sarcastic, even tought I didn't like that scene much either)

Originally posted by Preacher
(esp. women, from what I've noted).

Nah. Women start to look nasty as they age anyway. Especially if they don't put any effort not to. Which is generally the case after they get married. Divorce just makes them mean.

Originally posted by Ripper
Nah. Women start to look nasty as they age anyway...Divorce just makes them mean.
Can't agree w/ ya on that, in the sense that age does that to ALL of us, and men are no different about "letting ourselves go" after marriage. We notice it more in women because (most of us) aren't looking too much at other guys; it's the women we pay attention to.

Div. can definitely make 'em mean, tho. Irony of ironies; they get frustrated that they can't "change" their hubbies when they are married, and when divorce happens, they are more frustrated that they "failed" to do so while they had the "chance" (Nevermind the fact that the purpose of marriage ain't to change the other person in the first place...)... Go figure!:rolleyes:

I thought someone mentioned her name as being Janet McCulloch in one of the books?

I'll have to have a look, but I think it's in False Colors

Originally posted by panther
I thought someone mentioned her name as being Janet McCulloch in one of the books?

It's also mentioned in Freedom Flight, which is the only other book in the series not touched by either Fortschen or Keith...

And they do have it correct. Ellen Guon is even mentioned in the official guide to WC1 and 2... they have a photo of her there.

And they do have it correct. Ellen Guon is even mentioned in the official guide to WC1 and 2... they have a photo of her there.

Ellen Guon wrote the story portion of SM2 and WC2. She shows up in-game as generic wingman 'Ladyblue'.

Yup, because *someone* {whistles, looks around} who knew everyones proper names helped edit False Colors. :)

Originally posted by Ripper
Women start to look nasty as they age anyway.
That is so not right. Only one of my friends' mothers qualifies in that regard. Appearances are deceptive too. My mum's age is still mistaken for something a couple decades younger. Maybe it's just 'cause she's small. I think you're just mixing with the wrong sort of people.

Yup, because *someone* {whistles, looks around} who knew everyones proper names helped edit False Colors. :)
Such modesty, LOAF. :)

Sparks gives her full name when she introduces herself to Blair at the end of WC2's third mission.

Not all women are like that. Look at Ginger Lynn, or Yolanda Jilot, considering the character she was playing was supposed to be, going by Angel being 28 in the first WC, would be...what, 45 or so.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
Oh, you never know. You might be surprised.
Indeed; my mom's like 71, but looks easily about 10 years younger, and my ex- was carded for ID a couple times when she was 31-32 (haven't really done any clubbing *since* then).

Oh great, that probably means I'll be checked for ID until I'm 40. Fortunately, I don't visit such establishments very often.

Back