F-4 in service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by NoRemorse

Wrong, french pilots aren't bad, you can see the RedFlag... Unfortunately, we don't have as many bucks as the USAF, but I really think we have the best training (swiss pilots are good too...)

And forget the Blue Angels - Come in France, and see the PAF (Patrouille de France)... lol
Originally posted by Kalfor
Btw, brazil, though a peaceful 3rd world country, has seen its share of combat in the past, being one of the most active allied airforces during WW2 in Italy and also operating in other parts of europe
Out of this, mentions go to the "esquadrilha da fumaça" (or Smoke Squadron) its the brazilian stunt squadron, think Blue Angels
They are amazing and can do a lot of shit in a Tucano

Personally I think these two posts were sheer crap. I had the distinct pleasure of viewing the Blue Angels' flying skills a short 48 hours ago at the local Sertoma Cajun Air Festival. The flight commander in the #1 craft, despite a pesky reoccuring glitch, continued flawlessly throughout the performance, and the manuvers and patterns the solo craft (5 and 6) were sent through tipified highly developed US tactics that are not unique just to the Blue Angels, but are standards in combat tactics for all Navy and Air Force pilots. What the Blue Angels do so well is not just something specially designed for their own showcasing. Their expertly executed manuvers are examples of the lessons taught to every US pilot. They were highly impressive and I doubt that man for man, you send either of the two flight groups mentioned above against any of the Blue Angels, it won't be our F-14s in Navy that come limping out of that one... By the way, I've followed the PAF's stats a considerable deal, and I highly doubt that they're any better (which doesn't mean that I think they're any worse) than the Blue Angels. As for the Tucanos, I'm sure you can do impressive things in them and all, but the paces you can put 6 F-14s are just as if not more impressive.

Newer combat jets are projected to require every time less exceptional skills to be flown
aircrafts like the F16, for example, has fly-by-wire flight command. the pilot doesnt spin down out of control (dont know how you call it in english) cause the computer doesnt allow it. Much less stall, cause there are limiters linked to the FMS. If the pilot forgets the flap, the computer warns him, if he is flying the landing strip too low, the aircraft tells him. If he is too fast on landing approach he is alerted and he can land using his HUD and attack angle

thats my point on higher technology and resources making pilots need less skills

Ok, this is complete bullshit. Sorry for getting so harsh but I have the tendency to call a spade a spade. Our aircraft are NOT puppets that you spit a voice command out to and it moves as you request. The fly-by-wire systems compensate for the inumerable flight surfaces that have to be coordinated just to keep the plane on a straight path and a level altitude. Once it manages to accomplish that, the difficulties of flying that plane are now EQUIVALENT, not easier than, any other aircraft. Just because we have warning systems when a pilot is doing something that may potentially put the craft in danger means absolutely nothing. It's the pilot's duty to correct. I'd have to say overall that flying state of the art US equipment is a far cry from a cakewalk.

Kalfor,

The Blue Angels are not a special group (well kinda) of pilots. The Blue Angels are rotated from combat units all around the world. If you see the Angels in 1995, you are not seeing the same pilots as you saw in 1994. The same goes for 96, 97, so on...
The pilots that fly those planes are representative of all of the (in this case) pilots in the Navy. They received the same training as the others, and fly the same formations that all pilots can (albeit much closer).

Also, the "less skilled" pilots of our Air Force here in America, thanks to FlybyWire technology can pull more G's in their jets than any other pilots in the world (before you talk back, you know what I mean). More G's means more precise, tight manuevering, which means, win the dogfight. If a pilot begins to enter a state of G-lock, having the computer notify him with a warning that his plane is nearing stall speed is rather nice, keeping our pilots that much safer.

Advanced missile technology, even if you insist it makes them "less skilled" pilots, is what allows U.S. pilots to shoot down "better" pilots before those "better" pilots can even begin to target them.

In addition, U.S. pilots receive more training in close-in and gun combat than you seem to give them credit for. If we only used missiles all the time, why would U.S. pilots log thousands of hours performing simulated close-in dogfights?

To bring this back to Wing Commander... in the SNES version of WC1, the Scimitar squadron goes from being the Blue Devils... to the Blue Angels. Apparently you can't say 'devil' on the SNES.

Well, as it's known, Nintendo wouldn't do a heck of a lot that the Playstation did in the way of more mature titles. I remember them agreeing with that whining Senator Lieberman about Video Game Violence. Yeah, well, Nintendo seriously screwed the pooch and totally lost the war to the PS system.

Anyone unwilling to evolve in any kind of conflict is the first to be knocked of the market, so to speak.

Originally posted by FrostyCOS1
Without Fly-by-Wire, jets like the F16 and f117 would be practically unflyable
Largely correct on the F-16, but the F-117 would be COMPLETELY unflyable without FBW. During development and testing, it had the nickname "Wobblin' Goblin".

replace those fly-by-wire aircraft by ones without it and you will notice how they will have a hard time fighting pilots from other countries in similar aircrafts
Again, nonsense. US pilots initially train in lesser aircraft in order to hone superior piloting skills. They don't immeidately jump into front-line aircraft with all the bells and whistles.

Second, have you any familiarity with Top Gun and the like? These pretigious schools are all about teaching superior piloting and dogfighting, above and beyond what is already taught in the various services. The instructors generally fly antiquated (by today's standards) aircraft such as F-5s and A-4s in order to mimic potential enemies, and more often than not BEAT students flying the "superior" aircraft.

Systems such as FBW and the like make US aircraft safer and in some cases more capable in the extreme realms, but it's still primarily about the pilot. You make it sound as if any one of us could step into an F-16 and fly it.

sorry but that is BS, because for instance the F-16 and the F-22 are significantly more manuverable than any non-fly-by-wire craft because they are inherantly unstable and the fly be wire allows them to normally have some stability, but a controled amount of instability which is what manuberability is. As such they can fly circles around other aircraft and are therefore superior craft.

Personally I think these two posts were sheer crap.

Ok, this is complete bullshit

you 2 should learn some manners

As for the Tucanos, I'm sure you can do impressive things in them and all, but the paces you can put 6 F-14s are just as if not more impressive.

You cant really say anything about them if you never saw (or even knew they existed). You probably never ever heard of the Tucano anyway

Our aircraft are NOT puppets that you spit a voice command out to and it moves as you request. The fly-by-wire systems compensate for the inumerable flight surfaces that have to be coordinated just to keep the plane on a straight path and a level altitude. Once it manages to accomplish that, the difficulties of flying that plane are now EQUIVALENT, not easier than, any other aircraft. Just because we have warning systems when a pilot is doing something that may potentially put the craft in danger means absolutely nothing. It's the pilot's duty to correct. I'd have to say overall that flying state of the art US equipment is a far cry from a cakewalk.

The discussion is not about if an aircraft can be flown without fly-by-wire, but how technology slowly makes pilots less skilled due to the lesser need to control the aircraft and such
If you say warning systems that tell the pilot if he is in danger is nothing, you never piloted an aircraft, know anyone that did, or you simply is desperetly looking for excuses
many pilots have already crashed during landing for stall or simply cause they were too fast or on the wrong approach vector. Wont even mention the ones that crashed over the ocean or came out of a cloud flying upside down not sure of what was up and what was down

They were highly impressive and I doubt that man for man, you send either of the two flight groups mentioned above against any of the Blue Angels, it won't be our F-14s in Navy that come limping out of that one...

Just more misguided, excessive american pride. learn that you are not the best in everthing. You might find out real life is quite more exciting when you dont think yourself supperior to everyone else

The Blue Angels are not a special group (well kinda) of pilots. The Blue Angels are rotated from combat units all around the world. If you see the Angels in 1995, you are not seeing the same pilots as you saw in 1994. The same goes for 96, 97, so on...

Neither are most of the Smoke Squad pilots. Other than a few of the top pilots, the others change very often. It cant change as much for a simple fact I mentioned before: brazil has in fighter aircraft the same number of F15Cs USA has. Dont need to tell you that means usa has quite a lot more pilots and squadrons then Brazil, hence, its possible to exchange pilots, and USA obviously has a larger number of above average pilots

These systems make US aircraft safer and in some cases more capable in the extreme realms, but it's still primarily about the pilot. You make it sound as if any one of us could step into an F-16 and fly it.

Yeah, it makes it sound like that if you want to argue. What I said 10 times and will repeat again is that fly-by-wire makes it easier to be flown, needing less piloting skill comparetivelly to pilots who always pilot (and trained on) aicraft without that system. Would be stupid to say anyone could get in a F16 and pilot it if you had absolutelly no training on aircraft piloting.
Even though there are some trekies that can even pilot the enterprise if they landed on their backyard and the damn thing doesnt even exist :)

In addition, U.S. pilots receive more training in close-in and gun combat than you seem to give them credit for. If we only used missiles all the time, why would U.S. pilots log thousands of hours performing simulated close-in dogfights?

Its part of the training. If they were not trained, USA pilot training system would have being stupid and pointless. And once again, I didnt say they simply push a button and thats over for everything, but that most of the problems are resolved before even geting close, or being detected, or even using an aircraft at all.
If they train? of course. If they use it that much now with the technology in the USAF? nah. Skills deteriorate if you dont use them, not to mention theory and practice are 2 different things. Learning a lot in a sim is not the same as using it in the real thing. A Dogfight is quite intense and can be quite scary for someone who is used to blow enemies from the distance or drop bombs on cities and camps

shutyourmeowth.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back