Escape Velocity Plug-In

Maniac_Angel

Spaceman
Hi, I'm working on a plug-in for the very popular macintosh game known as Escape Velocity... as well as it's 2 current sequels, EV Override and EV Nova. This is obviously a Wing Commander plug-in (or Total Conversion) and is doing really good so far. I need people to help however as I need graphics and sounds. Other resource work could be helpfull too.

You can check the current progress of this plug-in at my web site: http://lightning.prohosting.com/~headq simply go to the Escape Velocity section and look around!

Please contact me if you are interested in helping... thank you.

Maniac Angel Raptor
e-mail & MSN: sartha@hotmail.com
Yahoo! Messenger: maniac_angel_raptor (maniac_angel_raptor@yahoo.com)

P.S. my web page is best viewed at 800x600 but supports all resolutions, it supports i.e 3+, netscape 4+ and opera. It has frames but supports non-frame browsers as well.

Well at the moment I have NO sounds and NO graphics for it... lol I guess I would need pretty much anything and everything. In the correct format that is since I run off of a crappy emulator! Anyways, mostly I'd be content with ship spins and masks of the wing commander 1,2 and privateer ships... for my first installment of the plug-in. Plus the sounds that might go along with them and their weapons. Well, those are the priorities.

Keep in mind I have no experience with 'modding' or Macintosh software...

I think there are ways to get WC1/2 ship sprites, but I can't remember which utilities to use. You could try looking through the CIC's collection of various files here (FTP) or here.

As for sounds, well they used FM synthesis (same as MIDI) in the original DOS versions, but I think KS uses WAVs for sound FX.

Privateer sounds, on the other hand are easy to get using Game Audio Player. Just search for sound files within PRIV.TRE and RF.TRE. Both have the same sound FX, but different in-flight speech, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that I need the graphics and sounds to be already in a resource fork... somthing that doesn't exist in IBM software. As such, I would need a macintosh. My emulator doesn't support what is needed to put sounds and graphics into a resource fork so I need others to do it for me... I am however still doing the biggest work... putting all 685 star systems in perfect alignment in the game according to the map that came with prophecy.

Eh, the alignment isn't really important. As long as jump lines go to the right places.

Actually I simply put in the co-ordinates... I've figured out an easy way... it's just tedious after a while. I've gotten over 400 systems already done :D

Eh, the alignment isn't really important. As long as jump lines go to the right places. And you can get the ship sprites of WC1, 2, Academy and Privateer, along with other images using WCNav.

Since the resolution of Escape Velocity is pretty low, these'll probably do for the ships in WC1: http://www.blacklance.org/jetlag/images/wc1ships.png

a good place to start looking for sounds is Kilrathi Saga, which has all of it's sound effects for WC1 and 2 as wav files, IIRC for easy usage.

I would have used that map... but that would mean starting from scratch again... also, with that many more systems and connections, it might confuse players... the map window in the game isn't all too large... you can't see more than a single sector's worth of stars at a time...

eh, it's mostly the same thing with a few more connections and some of the unnamed systems given canonical names. But, of course, it's up to you :)

Well, the way I have my system, it depends completely on the co-ordinates of the system icons on the picture of the map... if the sol system is in pixel 1173x906... then by reducing it to 0x0 the other systems subtract by 1173x906... basically giving me the co-ordinates of the systems relative to Sol...this new map has different sized gaps and therefore the calculations would go out of sync... it would just be easier to stick to my current 685 systems... (actually alot more systems since all kilrathi systems have to be doubled... 1 for Kilrathi Imperium... 1 for Kilrathi Assembly of Clans... well, for the 2nd plug-in anyways (Armada, 3 and 4)

Those sprites for wc1 will come in handy once I find someone who can put them into a resource fork... and that program might also be useful, though currently I have only wing commander 3 and privateer... so I'll have to get someone else to get the sprites and sounds for the rest

As for the callsigns... well here's the history...

Angel was my favorite female character from the wing commander games, maniac is my favorite character overall in wing commander.

As for Raptor... well that came in slowly. At first I was Maniac Angel... then I started using Raptor but too many people had it so I changed to Angel Raptor... when I decided to change names it became Maniac Angel Raptor... there you have it... Raptor had absolutely nothing to do with the heavy fighter in wing commander 1 :p

Maniac Angel just seems like an oxymoron to me, both in terms of the words' meanings and the characters' attitudes. :)

I just got my hands on a copy of Lightwave 7.5 and I now would like to know where I could get my hands on some fully completed and textured Wing Commander 1, 2 and Privateer ships to aid with my Escape Velocity Plug-In...

I tried looking around on www.wcnews.com but most of those are Truespace or 3dS MAX and so I can't seem to make the export work with them... (Not that there are many ships of those 3 games available there anyways!)

Thank you.

Which ships are you looking for? I've converted a few, and I guess I could probably do a few more...

Well, the list is big... there are 56 ships I think for this... since I don't currently have any lightwave models of any of the ships. I need ships from Wing Commander 1, 2 and Privateer... any of the other Wing commanders is more or less for use in future plug-ins

Back