Episode 4 release date announced!

Good work to all. Had a great time testing/playing Ep4.

Now it's your guys' turn to fight the good fight.

Yeah. On the release day (which seems so far away now, after a good night's sleep... I went to sleep yesterday at 2130!), I actually came home from work around... hmm, 1930, possibly 2000. This week and the week before, this is pretty typical, and on some days I actually got home at 2100. At that point, I would have to gather up what remaining strength I had and force myself to work on Standoff until around 0200.

I should add, on the morning of the release day, we were still missing a single, but absolutely crucial, voiceover line. Tempest received the line during the day, but our mailing list decided to act funny, and so his email informing me about the line only arrived after the episode was already out. So, coming home from work wednesday, I was convinced that I'd have the unpleasant task of announcing that the release date has been moved... because of this, I allowed myself to stay longer at work than I had originally intended, figuring that if we're not releasing, I won't need to kill quite all of the remaining bugs. Anyway, so then I come home, I log on to the FTP server to download the other three voiceovers that Tempest had to take care of at the last minute. Much to my surprise, I see four voiceovers instead of three, and suddenly realise that there's no excuses now, and I absolutely have to finish everything. So, I yelled at Tempest a bit for not informing me earlier (which, to be fair, he did, it's just that his email only got through a day later...), quickly cooked some dinner, and then sat down to work.

In short - it wasn't pretty :p. It's funny, you'd think that when an episode takes almost a year and a half longer than planned, then at least everything would be tied up neatly before the release date, without any kind of last-minute rush. Doesn't work that way, I'm afraid :p.

Oh, I don't blame any of you. I know you and HCl and several others have poured out far more than should be necessary, and I thank you all for your dedication and hard work.

I think you shouldn't put too much pressure on yourself to finish stuff like that, though. I know after the long wait between Episodes 3 and 4 meant you felt you had to commit to the release date you had set, but really. After waiting for so long, surely it's not unreasonable to expect folks could wait one more day? Especially for something that's free.

In any case, I expected the release to be on the 27th anyway (Australian time).

No, release dates have to be fixed and met, and never delayed, for one very important reason - when a release date is set, we have to understand that it's an unbreakable deadline. Any time you develop something like Standoff, you will always have some stuff to be done at the last minute. The release date serves as a motivator to sit down and finally finish all the stuff that you'd been putting off. But, if we were to miss a public release even once, we would get used to the idea that we can do that and get away with it - so we'd have a harder time meeting deadlines in the future, and consequently would take longer.

I appreciate the drive to get things done, and the result is that much of the WC community is now busy plugging away at Standoff. :) What I mean is that it should not have to be done at the cost of one's health. Reading those Point of Origin newsletters, it seems like that is common culture in the games development industry (something you would know more about that I), but working yourself to death is a poor way of enjoying the fruits of your hard work.

On the other hand, I suppose you'll know you've worked too hard when you start beating people to death with your brain. :)

Well, the idea is actually the exact opposite - we're working ourselves to the death so that we can finish Standoff and get on with our lives :p.

Back