Editing / Modding Tools - WCSecret Ops

It's sad to see what the WC community has become...it sickens me, really. LOAF...for everyone who has called you a Nazi in the past, I say this.

LOAF, you're a damn bloody Nazi.

LOAF: I'm trying to figure out why spiritplumber was banned. Seems like he was making some constructive suggestions. What was his offense?

9) If you believe that the CIC staff have made a mistake in regard to various forum rules, protests are NOT to be done on the board. You should use E-Mail, IM, or IRC. Any messages posted on the Forums for this purpose will be deleted, and the person responsible may be banned.

Bandit LOAF said:
You won't be coming back this time.

LOAF has struck again!

Aside from the little flame war, if you're looking into modding for Secret Ops, you'll need a team and lots of time to figure it out. I tried, I squealed (good thing nobody heard me), and I died.

Vegastrike, well its more like Privateer. Just fly around and make cash.

Flight Commander is personal recommend, but I'm waiting for more features and a solid release from eddieb.

Last edited by a moderator:
back to topic PLZ

i've a question, which tool with which parameters i have to use to compile some files to a *.tre file. i get some screens from wc3 (flydeck....) and changed resolution to 800x600. i made a *.mat file and changed extension to *.iff - i want to change a room in secret ops. i extract the tre for SO but how can i compile it to a *.tre file again....

regards

Well, the first thing to point out is that you don't have to - SO will quite happily read files from the SO folder instead of a TRE file. Building a TRE file is really the last thing to do before releasing your mod, especially since the only way to make the game read a TRE file (...unless you replace one of SO's TRE files) is to use a DLL patch.

That having been said, the tool to use to build TRE files is HCl's TRE Maker, which you can find at the very bottom of his "old files" page (http://www.wcrevival.de/hcl/archive/). While you're there, it's also recommended that you download the BMP tools, which you will need if you want to make any MAT with transparency (e.g., space backgrounds), or with 16 bit colour (16 bit colour MATs are only used for splash screens).

Of course, you'll need to build a room file to make use of your new background... but luckily, I wrote a tutorial about that ;).

TREMAN does work with WC3 XTRE files... just not very well. Unfortunately it leaves it to the user to figure out which file is which. It is the only tool available to do anything with XTRE files, in any case.

As for compiling to XTRE files, as far as I know there is no tool to do so. Thomas Bruckner did have a tool to compile TRE files, but they were not XTRE files but rather his own personal variation of the format, not used in any WC game.

ok, i try again , but i always got the message ".tre file not found" when i start the treman.exe with e.g objets.tre (witch is in the same folder / copied from the wc3 cd) but i try again....

Ah, right. The problem you're encountering is related to the fact that TREMAN can't handle read-only files. Just remove the write protection from the TRE file you're trying to open, and everything will be fine.

ChrisReid said:
Hey Killerwave, any chance you might be updating the page any time soon?

Nowadays I have no time to mod or updates unfortunately.
Q has the login info on my page, and is more than welcome to update it in case he has any new tutorials or info.

Back