Edit tools help

Yo I'm planning to make a new mod for WC:SO but I'm having problems with some programs. Can someone tell me how to use the tremanager and mattobmp. I can't seem to get it working. The reedme's and the programs don't tell me well enough. Please tell me as if I'm an Alien who somehow turned on a computer and logged onto it. Thank you for your time.

If you're not very computer literate, modifying Secret Ops is way out of your league. Mods like Standoff or Unknown Enemy are the product of a couple dozen computer experts working for five years. Start with something like Flight Commander. That's not to say FC modding is simple.. no modifcation is.. but it's much better documented and someone creating their own first project will at least have a chance.

scottandfiddle said:
Please tell me as if I'm an Alien who somehow turned on a computer and logged onto it. Thank you for your time.
First you must master the artificial intelligence knows as "Windows". Be careful, it will try and outsmart you at every turn!

Modding any game takes time because of other things. Editing SO is difficult and takes time. FC is easier, but it too takes time and practice.

Tunguska said:
First you must master the artificial intelligence knows as "Windows". Be careful, it will try and outsmart you at every turn!

by outsmart you do mean crash and die everytime you try to open a new window right?

Secret Ops editing tools are all pretty technical. You'd have to master WCPPas and modelC which are all much less intuitive than the TRE managers or texture converters. You should take a look at three websites to start with: Thomas Bruckner's, Killerwave's, and HCl's. Thomas and HCl made most of the SO editing tools we have, and Killerwave's site has tutorials on how to use them.

HCl: http://www.wcrevival.de/hcl/
Killerwave: http://killerwave.solsector.net/
Hmm... I don't have the link to Thomas's site anymore, it seems.

Anyway, those are good places to start.

Eder said:
Hmm... I don't have the link to Thomas's site anymore, it seems.
Here's the link to Thomas's site. Some links are broken on his site, but simply because there are simple URL mistakes such as the use of backslahes ( \ ) instead of slashes ( / ) ; you should be able to fix the links easily in the URL textbox of your browser.

ChrisReid said:
If you're not very computer literate, modifying Secret Ops is way out of your league. Mods like Standoff or Unknown Enemy are the product of a couple dozen computer experts working for five years. Start with something like Flight Commander. That's not to say FC modding is simple.. no modifcation is.. but it's much better documented and someone creating their own first project will at least have a chance.
I am very computer literate for my age (16). I just need help on running tremanager and mattobmp as it's not very user friendly as it doesn't clearly tell you how to use them! I am hoping for a career in Computer gaming so this will help me in a small way.
thanks for your time
p.s. windows jokes are the best clean jokes!
p.s.s. While on Bill Gates and his wife was on their honeymoon she relised why Bill Gate's company is called "Microsoft"!

These tools don't get much friendlier than TREMAN and MAT2BMP, though. Both are extremely simple and easy to use. If you can't figure them out - I'm sorry, but there's no point in helping you. The single most important skill for someone who wants to mod WCP (or have anything to do with games development at all) is the ability to figure out how to do things without detailed manuals or other forms of assistance. If we walk you through the usage of simple programs like these ones, we're going to be doing far more harm to you than good - you must learn to learn simple things by yourself.

Quarto said:
These tools don't get much friendlier than TREMAN and MAT2BMP, though. Both are extremely simple and easy to use.
It isn't user friendly as it isn't clear on how to use it! I wouldn't be asking if they were user friendly!

eddieb said:
Take a programming class in school. And if you're interested in Flight Commander, try it here http://flightcommander.solsector.net/
Unfortunatly my comp can't run Flight Commander! Plus I do Programming in Computing in school (I'm the best at programming in my class!) though we do basic and not C. Just someone don't think I'm rubbish at computeing and actually tell me how to atleast start TREMAN and MATTOBMP and I'll be able to figure out the rest!

scottandfiddle said:
It isn't user friendly as it isn't clear on how to use it! I wouldn't be asking if they were user friendly!

Hehe, you didnt really undertand what he was saying, did you? If you can't understand those programs, you wont be able to understand SO modding in general. No offense.

Quarto said:
Both TREMAN and MAT2BMP literally tell you what to do when you run them.
ARE YOU GUYS LISTENING TO ME? IF IT TOLD ME EXCACTALY WHAT TO DO I WOULDN'T HAVE STARTED THIS THREAD! I'VE TRIED WHAT IT BADLY TOLD ME TO DO BUT IT DIDN'T WORK SO SOMEONE GIVE ME A FCUKING ANSWER ON HOW TO WORK THE PROGRAMS!

You're an aggressive guy, arent you? Q is right, they do tell you what to do when you run them.

Dyret said:
Q is right, they do tell you what to do when you run them.
*bangs head of desk reptidly untill nearly unconiuse*
I NEVER DEBATED ABOUT THERE BEING INSTRUCTIONS OR NOT BUT IT WAS THEIR CLARITY WAS IN ARGUMENT. CAN SOMEONE STOP THIS NONSENSE AND TELL ME HOW TO RUN TREMAN AND MATTOBMP
god now I know how the Blair feels after Padalin reviels he knew about Angle's death before Blair did!

Calm down, scottandfiddle. These guys are right, you should have been able to figure it out yourself, else it means you probably won't be able to do the much more difficult stuff that modding a game implies.

Here's a tip, though. Since you're young, you might not be familliar with the old concept of command line applications, but these are command line applications... meaning it's better to run them from the command line.

Now, train hard until you find illumination.

PopsiclePete said:
Calm down, scottandfiddle. These guys are right, you should have been able to figure it out yourself, else it means you probably won't be able to do the much more difficult stuff that modding a game implies.

Here's a tip, though. Since you're young, you might not be familliar with the old concept of command line applications, but these are command line applications... meaning it's better to run them from the command line.

Now, train hard until you find illumination.
HALLIULA we've got someone who is telling me something. I guessed it was somehow using MSDOS but as soon as I launch the program it just tells me what the paramiters currently are and what they should be. Could someone follow in pete's foots steps and tell me something that will help me
p.s. sorry if your very religious and your offended by my misspelling of Halliula (if it is misspelt)

scrap that last message I've figured it out thanks to pete!
Thank you pete as you were the only one who actually helped me here!
p.s. I thought people put questions on the fourms to get help and information and not to get continues critisiem untill they cracked!

Back