Dream carrier

But that Omega thingie was a dreadnought. Well, we don't know if it only had some kind of protection against radar detection or could actually get invisible.

Still, large ships with stealth technology are not my thing, but that's just my personal preference.
Maybe I would go up to a heavy destoyer or a cruiser being able of some kind of stealth but not higher! :)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

I like the Stormfire Mk2 very much but I have to admit that ships with good shields/shield recharge rate were hard to knock down only with the stormfire (Manta e.g.). Once the shields were down, though it was like going through butter. :)
And as WCP handles the refire rates a bit strangely, installing a 2nd Stormfire would decrease the rate of fire for both Stormfires thus negating one of their main advantages.

Well, a single Stormfire only packs 35% more damage then a single Tachyon (210cm/s c.f. 155cm/s). However, you don't have the energy requirements so you can afford to be relentless (until you run out of ammo anyway).

Since the Stormfire has no energy requirements, I see no logical reason why the refire rate should decrease because you add a second one. If it did, I would have serious words to the designer.

It sounds not logical, I know but that's how it is. Try installing a 2nd Stormfire with WCPedit (or 4, I did that). After all, why is the refire rate in the Vampire slower when yu fire all four Tachyon guns than when you fire only one ?

they probably didn't mean for somone to install a 2nd stormfire gun with a ship editor :p

and the slower refire rate may be to conserve your gun pool.

Alright, I'm making this up as I go along, but here goes :

Energy guns have the disadvantage that they all draw power from a common source, so rather then being limited by the refire rate of the gun, you're (also) limited by rate at which you can pump juice out of your power supply.

Installing a second Stormfire cannon is slightly different. The cannon and ammo supply mechanism would be completely seperate - indeed I can think of no practical way for it to be otherwise. So there is no logical reason why installing a second Stormfire should have any effect on the rate of fire. (Of course, I'm talking about 'real-world' installation, rather then WCPedit, since there is to my recolection no in-game fighter that carries multiple Stormfire).

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
BTW: The cool SOPS Panther guns: You mean the Cloudburst, the heavy hitting ones? Because the other type, the Chain Ion is the stupidiest gun ever in the WC universe, IMHO.

Yes, I meant the Cloudburst... IMO, Piranhas wouldn't need such a fast refire rate, if their shots actually did any damage :) If I owned one, I'd strip the Stormfire and the Ion away, add a single Cloudburst, and trade those missiles for something decent :D

--Eder

Originally posted by Eder

Yes, I meant the Cloudburst... IMO, Piranhas wouldn't need such a fast refire rate, if their shots actually did any damage :) If I owned one, I'd strip the Stormfire and the Ion away, add a single Cloudburst, and trade those missiles for something decent :D

--Eder

a lightly toasted blt?

Originally posted by Skybolt
So, there is no Omega supership/supercruiser/superwhatever?

Well, there's an Omega-class Destroyer... ;)

Ouch ,LOAF, what did he do to piss you off like that? Well, if I may ask?

<Kosh>Never Ask That Question
</Kosh>

BTW, LOAF, who's this Mike guy you keep mentioning? :confused: :)

*L* You know, every missile is useful if you fire them at ships when their shields are down. :)

On their own, I've found that Cloudbursts fire quite quickly. The only thing is, the Piranha would need a bigger gun pool, because those things are not cheap in terms of energy use. Just look at how much the Piranha's lasers drain from its gun pool, and then take a look at the Cloudbursts. Kinda makes it inefficient I guess.

Maybe not?

Originally posted by Skybolt
So, there is no Omega supership/supercruiser/superwhatever?

There's an Omega dreadnought... but it's nothing like what NDB made up <G>

Ouch ,LOAF, what did he do to piss you off like that? Well, if I may ask?

He's just annoying <G>

And stupid.

With poison.

--Eder

Oww, what's wrong with the Piranha's missile loadout? It's very good for a light recon fighter IMO. 6 guided missiles and I always liked the HS in WCP, I am a bit nostalgic. :)

Originally posted by Saturnyne

(...)
On their own, I've found that Cloudbursts fire quite quickly. The only thing is, the Piranha would need a bigger gun pool, because those things are not cheap in terms of energy use. Just look at how much the Piranha's lasers drain from its gun pool, and then take a look at the Cloudbursts. Kinda makes it inefficient I guess.
Maybe not?

Actually having one Cloudburst instead of two Ions and one laser would increase overall firepower (from 78 to 100) and reduce energy drain (from 70 to 60). The Cloudburst fires as fast as the Tachyon.

Back