Dreadnoughts, carriers and other catbox lorries

Of course you could destroy it.
smile.gif

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting whatever the newest abit BXwhatever motherboard.

Jibbo did some *excellent* ship/size comparsion charts -- most of which I don't think ever got posted online.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

I agree with Death, the Dreadnought just makes more sense to be 2.2km. At that size it would still be a task just to make a jump. At 22km the risk of a jump gate closing before the ship was through would be great. Another thing, that low of tonnage would mean it armourred hull would be paper thin.

As for the Behemoth, I've heard lenghts vary from 2.1km to 6km.

The Dreadnought is 22km long and it's going to stay that long unless Origin or some other official source tells us otherwise. Since the Behemoth is about half the length of the Kilrathi Dreadnought jumping in that would be also dificult, but they did it anyhow. Hell, jumping in a ship that's Midway's size is hard.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

I want you guys to see this 22km dreadnought for yourselves next to the mighty terran ships.
BTW, those "thin" hull sections,they are about as WIDE as the Midway herself!
And the Vesuvius is even worse, the ship could fit INSIDE one of those arms, even fly inside the front bays!
Now isn't it a good thing we can build a ship like that that puts the fear of god into the Kilrathi? As I recall doing so would be a remarkable achievment given the Kilrathi nature.
I'm even more impressed about that than I am that the Dreadnought is able to hold together with such a thin hull it must have to be a little heavier than a ship like the Midway. That must be some armor, paper thin but far more effective than anything else the Kilrathi put on standard hulls!
If you look at this picture, the turrets are larger than the average capitol ship, yet somehow they can't gun down a single Excalibur in space, even with me flying it! I know, they had the power level down because of the insignificant little gnat pinpricking it's hull. Too bad a pin is enough to deflate a whole quadrant of the ship! I feel a Death Star syndrome relationshio here.
And the windows, man! They are as huge as the bridge fin on the goliath vesuvius. That transparisteel, what a marvel in engineering!

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited January 26, 2000).]

Would you finaly give this up? The Dreadnought is full of empty spaces that's why it's so light. It's armor is 1500cm worth of durasteel, which though isn't that much it's still a lot. And the shielding on that thing more than makes up for it. And no a Vesuvius class carrier couldn't fit into it's hangar. Remember if the ships were to scale the mission with the Dreadnought would take hours to load, if it was to scale the hangar would be much smaler compared to the rest of the ship. The ship has 38 turrets, Lasers and AntiMatter. I don't know what dificulty were you playing, but on nightmare few of those AntiMatter hits would rip you to shreads.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Of course it could fly in it's hanger I don't mean that it could in the game but sizewise it could, and would have a hard time not being able to if it wanted. Not that it really would but if you did get the chance to take on the dreadnought in that ship...
YES it would fit in I just drew the _ _ mned thing out and I double checked my math.
As usual, the idea is not to get hit, if Pliars is your mechanic, you would expect to hear "If you get in a jam, afterburn! If you just hang around taking hits for no good reason, then you're going to have to answer to me, cause I gotta fix every dent..."
No reason go finish and quote it word for word because you wouldn't be flying with him as your mechanic, I just thought I'd throw that in for my own amusement.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited January 26, 2000).]

No, it can't fly into the hangar, because the hangar is made big enough to hold fighters not other huge caphships. And they made it of the size it is in the game because it was the size of all other hangars on other ships. If the ship was made to be 22km long in the game engine the hangar would be much, much smaller.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Yeah you'd think...
All I'm saying is without changing the scale of components, it would theoretically work.
Does that mean the Victory can't go snooping up the ship's engine ports too?
biggrin.gif

Yes it does.

------------------
Gen. Patton

The turrets simulated in the game, according to False Colors, are the massive offensive batteries used for fighting other capital ships and planetary supression.

As for the power of the Vesuvius, the 'fear of God' comment may come from its virtually indestructable armor, or its 400 fighters or the fact that its smaller frame held similar turrets that were considerably more powerful?

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

That's a reasonable explanation but it doesn't change my mind and quite frankly nothing will from what I've seen so I will not respond to this thread any more.

I thought several posts would be humorous but they all produced the opposite feelings it seems.

The kind of responses I get only seem to give me the impression that I am the jerk of the members and seeing as how that is not why I came back here, but rather to have casual light-hearted conversations.

Perhaps I was indeed wrong to return as such my chat zone interference will be kept to a minimum.

Oposite feelings? You're wrong, and we're just correcting you, it's that simple.

And what exactly do you mean light-hearted conversations?

------------------
Gen. Patton

A ship this size would need a hefty power generator to maintain the ship systems, sustain the shield generator and keep the jumpgate open for enough time so this thing can cross to the other side.

A if they were going to build something of this size, why only one(two) hangar bays? They could at least have put some more redundance...

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

Yes, and if the ship is twenty times the size of the standard carrier or a battleship it will have enough space to put in s generator that's twenty times the size of a normal generator. And let's remember that the Ranger and Concordia class carriers have only one hangar in the games, but they have two hangars according to the novels, so the dreadnought can have four hangars instead of the two we see in the game.

------------------
Gen. Patton

I don't get it I thought the dreadnought had four mandibles each is a flight bay, there is the possibility that the lower short one ins the missile launcher.
I just figuired that it was rigght below the middle bay that reaches to the back of the ship.

Kalkrath- I assume the're antimatter, when the two Vesuviuses are fighting in WC4 the beams the're exchanging are yellow, and that's the color of antimatter, and you'd expect a ship like that to have heavy guns, it could also be tachyon guns. Though the Vesuvius in SO has only lasers.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Back