Dreadnoughts, carriers and other catbox lorries

Of course, without a computer I don't even have what I've done so far...
smile.gif

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
(loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC
http://www.wcnews.com

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You do have it saved somwhere right? Or did you loose it all?

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

My hard drive survived -- but my motherboard is fried. A replacement is in the mail...

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
(loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC
http://www.wcnews.com

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Earthworm: They didn't build lots of small ships probably for the same reasons why the Spanish built Galleons. One big ship is cheaper, and faster to build than two smaller ones.

One 11km long ship is cheaper to build than lets say eight 900 meter long fleet carriers? And faster to build? It took them 10 years to build the Behemoth, if they could build 10 ships like the Vesuvius, which was better than Hakaga class, in about 5 years they would have won the war faster and without such heave loses.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

The only thing is fleet carriers cannot win a war alone on that scale, you still need smaller ships of the line. Yeah LOAF I know you're a regular loafer type. What kind of motherboard you getting? I have to see the dreadnought model. Damn I was hoping I wouldn't have to change my ship charts.
frown.gif

Death's Head- actualy though they need suport ships, it's much easier to build support ships than carriers. And since the development of the torpedos in 2634 both Confeds and Kilrathis best ships are the carriers.

Here's some.
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/5498/kdreadnought1.bmp http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/5498/kdreadnought2.bmp http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/5498/kdreadnought4.bmp

kdreadnought3.bmp

------------------
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited January 25, 2000).]

Earthworm: Actually, the Behemoth took ten years to _develop_ and build. I'm inclined to believe that most of that time was spent on development. After all, it was a totally unheard of concept.
And the Vesuvius, if I recall correctly, was somewhat based on Kilrathi technology, which was acquired after the war. Thus, it couldna be built during the war
smile.gif

I don't think they needed any Kilrathi technology. Just build standard fleet carriers, or some new carriers that are larger with more armor, and more guns. And if they build 10 standard fleet carriers instead of the Behemoth they wouldn't have to spent 10 years on development, because they would be using tech that already exists.

By the way, did you like the picture.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Some comments:

The Behemoth wasn't said to take 10 years to actually build. Tolwyn said 10 years to develop, which also includes the research required to create the gun, a design team to draw up the ship, and the actual construction. My guess is that the first step was the longest one, given that 500 million gigawatts is hardly chump change, on a human scale.

'Canon', as used in regards to WC, is what counts towards the official, Origin-created WC universe. The novels, games, movie, and official guides, along with some other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting, are considered canon. Things like fanfic (either as part of a club or independently written for personal enjoyment) don't count towards the WC universe. People, of course, are free to disregard canon. Just don't expect a job with Origin any time soon if you ignore the stuff they've said is 'law.'

Death's Head:

Just a suggestion here, but you may wish to consider hitting <enter> a little more often, like where one thought ends and another begins (commonly called paragraphs). Makes reading much easier.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Death's Head- did you take a look at all of the pictures? Do you see all of the empty spaces?

------------------
Gen. Patton

space between the spaceframe yeah I already know about those I have flown through that ship! Thanks I like the two I never saw before.
biggrin.gif
I still have to alter my ship charts, grr...
Has anyone else noticed the blue space that was never recolored black? oops

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited January 25, 2000).]

Way of topic here, but depending on the answer, it may have some relevance.
Do WC ships have "particle" shields? That is, shields that will block a solid object (such as a missile), in addition to energy weapons.

Particle shields? Where did that come from? Shields on fighters, can be penetrated by missiles and guns, they're just there to prevent those things from hiting at the aromor. Phase shields that the capships have can stop guns and missiles (except the Plasma guns, Antimatter guns, PTC, torpedos, and Maces) but only sometimes (all capships in WC2 except the transports and the corvetes, and all capships in Prophecy/SO except the bug, and Kilrathi corvetes) because the weapons technology keeps improving at a faster rate than the shields technology.

------------------
Gen. Patton

In WC, shields, as long as they're in existence, block all damage, whether the damage is caused by matter (missiles, stormfire rounds, etc) or energy (most beam weapons, though more than a few of those are particle-based, like the tachyon, meson, and particle cannons).

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

It's been a loooong time since I saw that ship...

The first time I played the game I ended up on the losing plot and didn't even know why. Then I remembered that I failed every time on that mission where you get the Temblor bomb scientist. I always forgot to destroy the ground turrets... :p

The Kilrathi were really bent on showing their power, but was that ship really cost effective? To me it just looks like a big bullseye target...

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

If it hits it in the middle, it will probably break in half and explode. If it was hit in the engines, the fuel cells would ignite, and it would explode. If it was hit somwhere in the front, it could be cripeld, but will probably survive.

------------------
Gen. Patton

if you want to shoot the fleet plasma gun at a dreadnought you would do considerable damage ut you wouldn't deystroy it(assuming it's 22km long, in which case it would have to be made of bulsa wood to keep under a million tons.
Would anyone be willing to put up a little pic I have that shows the sizes of confed carriers to the 22km dreadnought model?? At the moment I have no web page and if someone here had it then others could refer to it when they need to feel proud that we won the war.

Back