DragonCon Thread!

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
DragonCon 2002 is going to be more fun than zesty fries... are *you* in? Questions/comments/plans/etc go here!

Though I could IM you this question, I'd rather get this thread rolling...

How much is it going to cost you to get there, plus room & food and spending money.

Please allow an extra $15 dollars so I can tip the doorman, so I can sneak in and punch Kevin J Anderson in the face.

Originally posted by LeHah

Please allow an extra $15 dollars so I can tip the doorman, so I can sneak in and punch Kevin J Anderson in the face.
That oughta end your trip real quick... :)

Where is this year's DragonCon held by the way?

Sorry for asking, should have checked the news first. So it's gonna be held once a year always in the same place?

You've got to broaden your horizons, LeHah. There's more to life than just punching KJA.

Plus, they sell swords at D*C, so you could do more than just hit the guy.

Outside of buyings swords, what is there at DragonCon? Is it filled with a lot of creepy kids with mullets that dedicate their lives to fantasy or is it acctually fun?

I'm trying to make my plans for that weekend. I will be probably driving my wa down since it's too late to buy cheape plane and train tickets to there. It is two months from nwo so there is time to plan.

Originally posted by Millzy
Outside of buyings swords, what is there at DragonCon? Is it filled with a lot of creepy kids with mullets that dedicate their lives to fantasy [?]
Of course not. A large part are creepy adults with mullets that dedicate their lives to fantasy.

Mullets

Ah...mullets reminds of my youth. I would love to go but my wife will be having our second child later this summer so I must save my vacation time for the blessed event (wife's orders).

Originally posted by KrisV

Of course not. A large part are creepy adults with mullets that dedicate their lives to fantasy.

You can't forget about them. I watched that movie "Trekkies" the other day. Man those people are creepy. They take these things too much to hard. However one coudl say the same thing about people in this message board too.

Originally posted by Michael_A
...my wife will be having our second child later this summer...
Congratulations!

Originally posted by Millzy
However one could say the same thing about people in this message board too.
Yeah, we like our WC! :)

As for going to DragonCon, well... I don't suppose any of you have tried swimming across the Pacific before?

Re: Mullets

Originally posted by Michael_A
Ah...mullets reminds of my youth. I would love to go but my wife will be having our second child later this summer so I must save my vacation time for the blessed event (wife's orders).

You are never too early begin your sci fi fandom. Bring the wife and kid with you. j/k. Congratulations though.

...so I can sneak in and punch Kevin J Anderson in the face.
We all know about your problems, but too bad, it doesn't look like he's going to be there this year. ;)

Originally posted by mpanty
Sorry for asking, should have checked the news first. So it's gonna be held once a year always in the same place?

It being Dragon*Con, yes. The future could hold other special Wing Commander events in theory, but Dragon*Con is an annual event in late August/early September in Atlanta, Georgia. It's the biggest sci fi convention around, so we can also generally count on some Wing Commander related guest being present (John Rhys-Davies last year for example, or Don Perrin this year) each time.

How much is it going to cost you to get there, plus room & food and spending money.

Plane fare is looking like $200-300 for me. Perhaps $30-60 per night for hotel. $60-75 for entrance tickets. Food and other things probably push past $100 or $200 depending. So between $500 and $750 perhaps.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
...John Rhys-Davies last year for example, or Don Perrin this year...
Dumb question: Who's Don Perrin? Or more specifically, how is he related to WC?

Bill Forstchen missed DragonCon due to a stomach virus while in a foreign country.

I had to drink the scotch and smoke the cigars I got for him. Heh.

Hey, do many people near to Atlanta have X-Boxes? I just had a kickass 16 player Halo party. It was really great. Better than I expected. It'd be really neat if we all could do something like that at Dragon*Con, but I'm not too excited about dragging my X-Box 3000 miles.

Back