DOSBox 0.70 - Privateer 1 - joya.dat for joystick

klzhgjkznfmvn

Try altering DOSbox.conf as described above, but with 4axis instead of 2axis - this should present the game with a single, 4 axis stick. With any luck, the game will accept it as a single stick.

So what your saying should be useful,
so instaed of these commands:
config -set "joysticktype=2axis"
config -set "timed=false"
config -set "autofire=false"
config -set "swap34=false"
config -set "buttonwrap=true"

Just change this command of those commands to?:
config -set "joysticktype=4axis"

I would like to know what these commands do?

I tried these command(with the exception of
changing config -set "joysticktype=2axis" to config -set "joysticktype=4axis",
but the joystick doesn't work,
but knowing that the maker of this thread
didn't care to use a joystick because he doesn't have a joystick,
I should be asking what command or commands to leave out?,
may be one or both of these:
I would also like to know what these commands do?
config -set "timed=false"
config -set "autofire=false"
/////
Especially these commands:
////
And what is the difference between these commands?:
config -set "joysticktype=4axis"

Never Mind

Never Mind,
I googled it, but if I need more help I will come back:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=65659

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/gutsy/man1/dosbox.1.html

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=568845

If I do have any problems, I suspect it will be with
where to make the configuration file for DOSBox,
and if the changes I make to it will effect other games
in a negative way where I would need to re-configure that file
every time I decide to play another game between playing Privateer.
And just so you know what happened:
I went to /usr/share/doc/dosbox/dosbox.conf.example.gz,
which I had to extract it, but for the life
of me I am not sure how to make it work.
Could I just rename it and place it in a certain directory for it to work?

O

Just to recap things to make sure you all know that I understand things
pretty well, I tried all the different commands,
but the joystick wouldn't work if I used these commands.
If I don't use these commands the joystick works,
but like I said the curser keeps moving up and to the left continuously,
I already have used this command in DOSBox before and after I
used those commands:copy joya.dat joyb.dat
I also tried each command by them selves before and after making:
copy joya.dat joyb.dat
and
also like I said I used the calibration program that was installed on Ubuntu when I
installed and configured this Xbox 360 Wireless Controller and Xbox Wireless Receiver,
I had first tested everything before I was told by someone here
to re-calibrate it first,
then I calibrated it and tested everything,
but the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller was calibrated fine
and worked with many other games just fine,
but it was a good idea none of the less
thank you so far for all your help.

Also

Also I don't need help now with what all the commands do that I was asking about,
the dosbox.conf.example.gz file said what all those commands do,
sorry for all the trouble and filling up this thread with bla bla bla, ~~~

Also I don't need help now with what all the commands do that I was asking about,
the dosbox.conf.example.gz file said what all those commands do,
sorry for all the trouble and filling up this thread with bla bla bla, ~~~

You should register so you can go back and edit additional text into your posts and so other people can keep track of who is saying what.

Just to recap things to make sure you all know that I understand things
pretty well, I tried all the different commands,
but the joystick wouldn't work if I used these commands.
If I don't use these commands the joystick works,
but like I said the curser keeps moving up and to the left continuously,

It's still possible that adjusting some of the dosbox conf settings could fix your problem. I would continue to experiment with different options there. I would also try calibrating the controller at different times. Before the game/dosbox is running, while the game is running, in game, etc. You might try disabling all other USB devices while you do this.

What I meant was I tried all the commands suggested,
however I have still yet to make a config file on the Operating System
Ubuntu Linux which when I have the time then mess with, then
the commands(or atleast some of the commands) you guys have suggested
should work in the config file I haven't tried yet to make.
In Windows XP there is a configuration file already existing when
DOSBox is installed, but that's not the case with Linux.
I haven't given up.

(((((SOLVED))))))

I went to DOSBox and typed:
config -writeconf dosbox.conf

which made the file dosbox.conf here:
file:///home/username/dosbox.conf

username refers to what you name Ubuntu Linux.

then changed these options to:
joysticktype=4axis
timed=false
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

also make sure cycles=auto

then dragged and dropped the priv.exe into DOSBox
and calibrated the first joystick,

then close DOBox,
if DOSBox is in fullscreen then hold alt-enter
and close DOSBox with the mouse,

next in the folder called Wing Commander 2(Privateer) make a text file called JOYB.DAT
or instead go to the folder called Wing Commander 2(Privateer) and
drag and drop the file called privater.exe into DOSBox and
type:
copy joya.dat joyb.dat
and press enter,

then type:
priv
hit enter

Solution

Hello there,

I've got a solution. I got it work under Windows XP SP3.

You need:

- 2 Joysticks
- an Y-cable
(both plugged onto a normal gameport on the sound card but might work with other interfaces -- untested)

First, you have to calibrate them under Windows in the game controller CPL.

Then, start DOSBox an your desired game (works with Privateer and Skunny Kart as well which supports also 2 Joysticks). It is recommended to delete any JOYA oder JOYB.DAT files in the Privateer directory.

Now, while calibrating, calibrate BOTH Joysticks for EACH Joystick at the same time!

This means:
Whilst calibrating Joy #1 you have to move the steer of Joy #2 identically with Joy #1.

Repeat the same procedure for Joy #2.

Now you should be able to play Privateer (I am).

Regards,

Michael

Hey, that sounds like it would work, but I believe it's similar to the post above. Copying joya.dat as joyb.dat is effectively the same process while only needing one joystick. Definitely something to try if copying doesn't work.

There is only one problem for me...none of it worked for me! I am on xp Sp3 using DosBox 0.73 and I have a Saitek Cyborg X 5axis joystick and I still get mouse drift. Even with both joysticks calibrated, even with JOYA copied to JOYB, ect. And when I get to space, my joystick drifts instead of the mouse... I have followed all the listed advise here for the joystick and for the mouse, with no luck. Its getting very very frustrating.

I found that I could not use any additional functions on my joystick.

If I removed all of the programmed commands and let it be detected as a 2-axis-2-button joystick it worked and calibrated fine. I also had to set the timed command to timed=false.

I finally fixed they mouse/joystick problem. I had to put timing=false and go from joystick=auto to 4axis and then calibrate the two joystick axis that my cyborgX from Saitek in privateer and now everything is copacet.

I can not believe how finicky privateer was. I reinstall and reinstall privateer about 8 times! Original disks, copies to HDD, etc.

Anyway, I had to do this in steps, I had to remove the joystick files, remove the joystick from Dosbox, then add the joystick back into Dosbox and then back to privateer.

help with privateer

Hello I am having a terrible time getting privateer to work. I have it on a laptop with plenty of power and space and it is running windows xp sp3. I got it up and running once using Dosbox .73 version only to find out that I could not get any control or joystick to go with it. I have a microsoft sidewinder that the dos and windows side says recognises it. I am not that literate with DOS and this is really bringing me down that I cannot play this game any help would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached here or on my email at Unlashak@aol.com. Cheers C

Do you see anything about the joystick being recognized in dosbox as soon as you start it? Once you start the game, can you calibrate the joystick. Does the mouse work? If you can get into the game, can you hit ALT+O and adjust your controls? You can also try changing some of the options in the [joystick] section of dosbox.conf. You'll have to experiment a little there.

no joy in Privateer

Hi Folks,

A newbie here. I found a site with Privateer and DosBox packaged in one zip. It plays well on my laptop.

I'm having problems with my joystick though. I have a Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS X but I can't use it in the game. The joystick calibration screen appears when I start the game with the joystick plugged in. However, after the calibration routines, the program ends.

If I plug the joystick after I start Privateer, the joystick isn't found.

Here are some of my software specs:
Win XP SP3
DosBox 0.63 (It says DosBox Shell v0.63)

What have I tried?
1. I have tried including this section in the .config file:
joysticktype=4axis
timed=false
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true
- I tried changing the joysticktype=2axis but it doesn't do anything for me.

2. I tried copying the joya.txt file here and renaming it to joya.dat and joyb.dat.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Privateer 1 with gameport joystick

Hi all,

Just wanted to check in with a 'worked for me' story, and maybe save somebody some time. I ran across my old Privateer cd's recently and decided to try to get it running on my XP sp3 machine. I downloaded the latest DOSbox, loaded in the game, plugged in my Saitek gameport joystick, and promptly came up with the infamous joystick drift :eek: . I tried all the 2-axis/4-axis and timed=false fixes, but nothing worked. I tried a MS Sidewinder Force Feedback stick, even an old Radioshack stick, and they all drifted :( .

Finally ended up studying the tech support page, decided to try adjusting the cycle rate to 6500, and :D OMG! it works!! I reset DOSbox to the defaults, and the drift came back. I tweaked only the cycle rate, and it runs like a dream. I've even gone back and plugged in the other sticks, and (after calibrating in Control Panel) they all work great. Hope this helps someone else, it cost me three days! :)

Just registered to confirm the good news ;)

Got Privateer from GOG, wanted to play with Xbox 360 Controller. Got the infamous drift (hell, I never could totally eliminate it back when I played this on a "real good ol' " PC ;) ) Googled up what I could, finally reset everything to "vanilla fresh" install, edited dosboxPRIV.conf changing "cycles=max" to "cycles=6500" and voila, perfect calibration!

Thank you, Jumpgate, you're the best!

Privateer 1 with gameport joystick

Hi all,

Just wanted to check in with a 'worked for me' story, and maybe save somebody some time. I ran across my old Privateer cd's recently and decided to try to get it running on my XP sp3 machine. I downloaded the latest DOSbox, loaded in the game, plugged in my Saitek gameport joystick, and promptly came up with the infamous joystick drift :eek: . I tried all the 2-axis/4-axis and timed=false fixes, but nothing worked. I tried a MS Sidewinder Force Feedback stick, even an old Radioshack stick, and they all drifted :( .

Finally ended up studying the tech support page, decided to try adjusting the cycle rate to 6500, and :D OMG! it works!! I reset DOSbox to the defaults, and the drift came back. I tweaked only the cycle rate, and it runs like a dream. I've even gone back and plugged in the other sticks, and (after calibrating in Control Panel) they all work great. Hope this helps someone else, it cost me three days! :)

Back