Doom 3

I completely agree with LeHah. Your "avatar" is annoying... Do something stupid and Loaf will give you a real avatar. (or simply ban you)
If you found it annyoing you could have just PM'd me, explaining how you found it annoying and I would have gladly removed it.

Straggler said:
If you found it annyoing you could have just PM'd me, explaining how you found it annoying and I would have gladly removed it.

I did the next best thing and flagged one of your comments.

This is apparently the official Doom movie logo:

doommovielogo7dp.jpg

Here are two more recent articles on the production:

Gamespy update

IGN Filmforce

The IGN link includes the first pic of the movie's BFG. I haven't really been following the film's production and marketing that closely (I found the above links a week or so ago while doing a search for recent news on the film after seeing an article in the latest PC Zone [UK] magazine), but one thing I find quite interesting is the noticable change in buzz about the film. Granted there doesn't seem to be much hype around the film yet, with no trailer on release even though the film is due in October and the reality that apart from a percentage of gamers and film buffs, no one knows that a Doom film has been made or indeed anything about the franchise and if they have, it's probably in relation to the mainstream media crusade against "violent games," in which Doom is often mentioned.

However, the change I've noticed is that whereas late last year and earlier this year, most of the talk in various gaming forums I frequent was on how the film was probably going to bomb and how it was pointless using the Doom mythos and title for the film if you're to make significant story and setting changes and effectively a Resident Evil clone, blah blah, in recent discussions and articles, the mood seems a lot more upbeat. I can't recall the exact wording in the PC Zone article, but the gist of it seemed to be that they were quite impressed with the filming they had seen on the set and that the production design was very reminiscent of Doom3. Another tidbit was that the film includes at least one 10 minute session shot entirely from the first-persion perspective (i.e. the in-game view).

Regarding the change from the Mars setting and Hell references, the word (unsubstantiated) at the time was that the studio, Universal, was worried about pressure from various religious groups and interests, so new writers and drafts of the script were commissioned.

You could say that the fact that there isn't even a trailer out yet this soon before release suggests that the studio doesn't have much faith in the project (they're probably still finishing off all visual effect shots as the film only wrapped late 2004) and ealier in the year I wasn't particularly hopeful or excited about the film, but recently I've become more intrigued and while I'll probably watch it anyway, I've started to look forward it. I think timing will be everything and hopefully October is a good move -- with all the major summer blockbusters out the way, if the film comes out during a lull and is competently directed and scripted, high-grade B-movie fare with an Aliens vibe it could do well. Or not. Hopefully the former, as the comic book movie bandwagon is too prevalent IMO.

Cheers,

BrynS

Doom movie? That is gonna fail miserably, like all movies based on games. They couldn't have picked a worse game to base a movie on, Doom has virtually no storyline.

Happy Camper said:
Doom movie? That is gonna fail miserably, like all movies based on games. They couldn't have picked a worse game to base a movie on, Doom has virtually no storyline.

This is what i hate about idiots. They read the thread title, and then they post *something* without actually reading the thread. :(

Happy Camper said:

There've been several very succesful video game adaptations -- chief among them: Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat and Pokemon.

Dyret said:
This is what i hate about idiots. They read the thread title, and then they post *something* without actually reading the thread. :(
Dyret, I would suggest you drop this stupid attitude of yours. It's really getting tiresome to see you giving other people crap for their supposed stupidity, given that I have trouble recalling any of your posts that were even remotely worth reading. As a moderator, I don't have the power to ban you - but I'm pretty sure that if you keep acting like this, it won't be difficult to persuade one of the admins to give you a vacation.

Quarto said:
Dyret, I would suggest you drop this stupid attitude of yours. It's really getting tiresome to see you giving other people crap for their supposed stupidity, given that I have trouble recalling any of your posts that were even remotely worth reading. As a moderator, I don't have the power to ban you - but I'm pretty sure that if you keep acting like this, it won't be difficult to persuade one of the admins to give you a vacation.

Sorry. I know some of my posts are quite stupid... So i probably shouldnt give other people crap for their stupidity. It might be better if i said it in a less hostile fashion like: It might be a good idea to read the thread and check out the links before posting.

Anyway, i'm sorry if Im acting like an ass.

Happy Camper said:
They couldn't have picked a worse game to base a movie on, Doom has virtually no storyline.

If anything, wouldn't that allow for a better screenplay?

Bandit LOAF said:
There've been several very succesful video game adaptations -- chief among them: Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat and Pokemon.

Yeah, I really don't think this one will do badly. The PSP version of the second Resident Evil movie has even sold more than 100,000 copies.

Bandit LOAF said:

MK was successful? Really? Wow.
Of the three mentioned I'd only say that Tomb Raider was a good movie as well. MK is extremely cheesy (esp #2) and Pokemon is just aweful.

cff said:
MK was successful? Really? Wow.
Yeah, unlike most game movies, it actually made a profit.

Of the three mentioned I'd only say that Tomb Raider was a good movie as well. MK is extremely cheesy (esp #2) and Pokemon is just aweful.
Somehow, I don't think you were a part of Pokemon's target audience :p.

Quarto said:
Somehow, I don't think you were a part of Pokemon's target audience :p.

I often get the impression that parents love Pokemon more than their kids do.

Back