Doom 3

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
Will it come out on the XBox? I know my computer couldn't handle it and I'm not no position to upgrade it right now. How big are the levels on it? All the screenshots I've seen make it seem like it's in a single cramped building.

probably not for awhile they have to exploit people with pc's first they will open it up to other systems when they have bled it dry

On Gamespot Doom 3 release date for the XBox is 4th Quarter 2004 and I found that on EBgames: Pre-Order: Ships on 10/04/2004 :)

Shipgate said:
Will it come out on the XBox? I know my computer couldn't handle it and I'm not no position to upgrade it right now. How big are the levels on it? All the screenshots I've seen make it seem like it's in a single cramped building.

I read about the Xbox version.
Sadly its inferior to the pc version. :(

Which isn't saying much. Doom 3 is absolutely incredible. I played the XBox version back in May, and while possibly not as incredible as its PC counterpart, it is absolutely stunning and perhaps the best looking game on the system. The XBox version will have cooperative multiplayer via XBox live, which is a huge bonus.

Doom 3, PC or XBox, is a huge game with a lot to it. It is not a first person shooter like the original. There is plenty of action of course, but the majority of the game is a survival horror game with dark halls and your trusty flashlight. Every monster you kill is an accomplishment, and the tension leading up to terrifying encounters will freak the hell out of you. There are some puzzles that are straight out of games like Myst and the level design is pretty great. The story has numerous twists and there are multiple opposing forces setting the plot off. A half a dozen of us have been playing nonstop for two days in #Wingnut, and none of us can go very long. I have a good 8-10 hours to go before I'm at the point Frosty's at.. and Frosty may not even be close to the end. It's exhausting and I take breaks every few minutes to compare my progress to everyone else's. Best PC game of the year, for sure.

I'm confused. Sorry, I don't keep up with this stuff as much as I'd like to. But you say you've been playing the Xbox on since May? Does that mean it's been out since then or are you talking about some kind of Beta version. Man, do consoles even release beta versions. That just doesn't sound right.

I do like the idea of encounters with monsters being more rare. I mean, Doom 1, 2, are fantastic, but wow, so repetitive. Most games really are though. At any rate, I can't wait to play it. I wonder if there are any of the monsters in it besides the army guys from Doom and Doom 2.

What kind of system have you got, Chris? I've read review after review that says that Doom 3's eminently playable even on the min-spec system requirements, which gives me hope for my Athlon 2000+ and Radeon 9000 Pro, but I'd just like an 'inside' opinion. :p

rampage3057 said:
What kind of system have you got, Chris? I've read review after review that says that Doom 3's eminently playable even on the min-spec system requirements, which gives me hope for my Athlon 2000+ and Radeon 9000 Pro, but I'd just like an 'inside' opinion. :p

That 9000 will bog you down quite a bit, but it should be playable. ATI's OpenGL support sucks, but looks to be improving with the beta Catalyst drivers that are floating around.

Shipgate said:
I'm confused. Sorry, I don't keep up with this stuff as much as I'd like to. But you say you've been playing the Xbox on since May? Does that mean it's been out since then or are you talking about some kind of Beta version. Man, do consoles even release beta versions. That just doesn't sound right.

The XBox version comes out in October. I got a chance to play an early build in development.

Shipgate said:
I do like the idea of encounters with monsters being more rare. I mean, Doom 1, 2, are fantastic, but wow, so repetitive. Most games really are though. At any rate, I can't wait to play it. I wonder if there are any of the monsters in it besides the army guys from Doom and Doom 2.

Yeah.. every monster has been recreated, plus a few more..

rampage3057 said:

I've got an Athlon 2100, Geforce FX 5600 and a gig of Ram. After using a predecompression tweak, I can get 1024xUltra pretty playable. My Geforce is kind of a special one with 256 megs of memory, so that goes a long way towards the 'Ultra' part. They say to run Ultra properly you need more than 500 megs of texture memory.

ChrisReid said:
I've got an Athlon 2100, Geforce FX 5600 and a gig of Ram. After using a predecompression tweak, I can get 1024xUltra pretty playable. My Geforce is kind of a special one with 256 megs of memory, so that goes a long way towards the 'Ultra' part. They say to run Ultra properly you need more than 500 megs of texture memory.

:(

Doom 3 is great

My rig:

Barton 2500
9200 128-bits 128 RAM
512 DDR
800x600 Medium, 30-40 FPS, i can try 800x600 to see if it is worth.

ChrisReid said:
Coolbeans. I've got a gig of ram too, and I was hoping that would help me out a little. I just won a 9600 Pro on eBay just a few minutes after I posted, so I'm hoping that'll give me a good deal more kick. :) I've seen screenshots, and it looks freakin' awesome at "just" 800x600, so I'm not worried.
Thanks,
-Max

I just got it a few days ago . . . but if I'd known it was coming out on Xbox, I'd have probably waited instead of buying a new video card . . . oh well.

I just took down that hideous spider beast . . . what's her name? Oh yeah! Vagary.

Is it just me, or are the "pinkies" harder to kill in this one? (aside from the fact that they were called "Demons" in previous Dooms) I mean, yikes! That first one nearly killed me outright. I can't seem to get away from the stupid buggers. Then again, this is the first PC FPS I've played since Doom 2. I'm still not used to mouselook at all.

I ve got the game yesterday. Men, its so scary that I couldn't sleep :) It works fine in Medium detail at 1024x768 (30-35fps) with my Pentium4 2,88ghz tweaked to 3ghz, and my good ol' GeForce4 Ti4200 . The only thing i lack is RAM, i got only 512Mb. Everyone should try the Ultra high detail for once, because it runs just as fast as the Medium until it has to load a new texture into the video cards memory (so, just stay where u are, and watch the show :), otherwise youll get stopped by loading after every 2. step). I didnt relly liked this style (except Max Payne) but this is the best game so far this year.

overmortal said:
I'm still not used to mouselook at all.

I absolutely hate mouselook...I've been playing games like that for years and I still have yet to get used to it. I honestly miss the days when everything was simplier and could be done on your keyboard.

Jacob said:
I absolutely hate mouselook...I've been playing games like that for years and I still have yet to get used to it. I honestly miss the days when everything was simplier and could be done on your keyboard.

I'm a sort of a nostalgic, so I like old FPS too - it was a part of my computer gaming childhood.

But today, I think it's unplayable for a game, if you don't use mouselook, or let's better say, its canalize the movements you are "typing" in the keyboard for your player character. I can't imaginize a modern FPS without mouselook. Mouselook seems to me as the most comfortable way to direct my player character...

Maybe I'm confound something here :confused: ...

I usually have keys for just about everything on the keyboard since for some movements the way the keys are clustered can make it easier than the mouse. Also you can't really mash on a mouse that well but you can on the keyboard.

I'm just a fan of dual-stick controls like in Halo. Though, admittedly, in Doom 3, anything that slow would be rather detrimental. If you can't move *quite* fast in Doom, you're in for a lot of hurting. And, by "a lot of hurting", I'm referring to an imp, maggot, or pinkie that materializes behind you and chews you to pieces before you can get turned around. Especially the Pinkie. I haven't gotten to Hellknights yet. I imagine they're pretty tough, eh?

At the end of Doom 2 what is that voice saying to you when you walk into that huge room? And who is that head on the stick? I always thought that was so crazy how the main guy was a piked head behind a huge door.

Shipgate said:
At the end of Doom 2 what is that voice saying to you when you walk into that huge room? And who is that head on the stick? I always thought that was so crazy how the main guy was a piked head behind a huge door.

I never could figure out what was being said at that last level, but I read somewhere that the "head on the stick" was supposed to be a likeness of someone who worked on Doom and was picked to be the final boss.

I really like Doom3, quite an amazing game. I'm trying it on 2 machines:

Machine 1:

Home built Athlon XP1800+
640 MB PC-133 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
SB Audigy 2 Dolby 5.1 Surround

Running it on "High" set at 800X600

Machine 2:

Dell P4 1.9GHZ
1 GB RDRAM
ATI Radeon 9600
SB Live!

Running on "Medium" set at 800X600

The 9800 Pro seems to make all of the difference. For those of you who are using a newer ATI card I'd suggest going to their site and downloading the latest Catalyst softeware before loading Doom3. I had problems until I got the update.

Back