Doom 3

Or maybe like halo, as the monsters turn out to be mutated humans or some such. Sounds like the Flood to me...

Oh well, I guess this is another movie I won't bother wasting my time with.

Dyret said:
I thought Halo was so great until the flood came along and made it boring.

Quoted for truth. Everyone makes a stink about Halo - while a very fine game - wasn't the bees knees. On the other hand, I've been playing Farcry this past week and despite the lack of plot (BLOW THINGS UP. FIND REPORTER. BLOW THINGS UP. FIND REPORTER.) the gameplay is fantastic and the graphics are beyond belief.

I'm not a big fan of the SS2 graphics engine - but that game was pretty damned scary.

Dyret said:
I thought Halo was so great until the flood came along and made it boring. :(

Halo is amazing....

they are also working on a feature length movie of it as well....

Having read that link...sounds more like Resident Evil 3 than Doom. Why isn't it Mars? "A distant planet" certainly doesn't sound any better than just saying it's on Mars. Crazy people...

I'd imagine that there's two reasons:

- Mars is kitschy -- it's kind of the joke planet in terms of science fiction, where all the aliens in cheesy fifties movies were from. Same reason why we don't see it in the new War of the Worlds.

- Someone probably took a look at the box office receipts for Red Planet, Mission to Mars and Ghosts of Mars.

The monsters aren't from hell, but rather people mutated by some nasty super-virus although the monsters look very similar to those in the game.

Yep...it's gonna be another virus-make-mutants-then-attack-people movie.

Why can the producers see that using the original storyline would draw more people to see it?

I'm glad the 1993 versions of ourselves can't see us talking about how we wish a movie were more true to the plot of DooM.

I only recently played Doom 3 for the first time. I'll admit that for me it was pretty creepy to play. I wouldn't have minded it so much if it wasn't so dark and scary the whole time. Like in Halo, there are moments where it is really dark and claustrophobic and creepy cause maybe you're fighting a lot of the Flood. But eventually when you get through it all you're out in the open again and the mood lightens up and you've maybe got a new contingent of marines or something.

But in Doom 3 there are no moments like that. The games is constantly tense. It might have been enjoyable for me if I had more time to play the game. But I don't actually own an Xbox so I borrowed my brother's and eventually used the cheat code cause I just wanted to blast my way through the game while I still had the Xbox.

Parts of the game I thought looked utterly amazing. I loved the part when you go into the bathroom and look into the mirror and start having all those terrifying visions.

And the parts where you were in hell were so crazy. There's so much going all around you it's tad dizzying.

I was disappointed you couldn't just play a co-op off a single Xbox. Cause I thought that would've been really fun to try. Unless there is some way to do it that I just don't know about.

I do wish they revealed a little more about the story and what was going on on Mars. I read all the PDA's and listened to the recorded voice in front of the stone tablature thingys. But still didn't understand as much as I would've liked. I thought it would've been really cool if at one moment your character has a brief vision of himself with something akin to wings and an angelic sword or something. As if heaven sort of chose you to be their champion. Or at least something to tell you more about the character you are. But I guess in the end, he's just someone fairly inconsequential who just happens to get lucky and defeat all of hell's minions. Which is also okay with me.

Anyway, I'm jus writing this really fast but I just wanted to talk about how I felt about the game since I only recently beat it.

Shipgate said:
I thought it would've been really cool if at one moment your character has a brief vision of himself with something akin to wings and an angelic sword or something. As if heaven sort of chose you to be their champion. Or at least something to tell you more about the character you are. But I guess in the end, he's just someone fairly inconsequential who just happens to get lucky and defeat all of hell's minions. Which is also okay with me.
Chances are, anything like that would have spoiled the game for most people. Player characters in computer games are usually blank slates, and for a good reason - remember all the whining about Blair being a Pilgrim? :p It's the same here. You might want your character to be a champion of heaven. Somebody else might want to imagine him as being such a badass that even hell doesn't compare. And somebody else still (the majority, I would guess) might want to imagine him as being someone completely inconsequential who happens to succeed not because he's special, but because he's controlled by the player.

Straggler said:
Why can the producers see that using the original storyline would draw more people to see it?

I wanted to tell you that I hate you because of your "location"

It's really a lovely little town.

One thing I was disappointed in was the BFG-9000. It didn't seem effective enough for how hard it was to get the gun.

My favorite weapon in it like in most games was the shotgun. And another one of my favorite scenes was the first time you see the Mancubus'.

Bandit LOAF said:
I'm glad the 1993 versions of ourselves can't see us talking about how we wish a movie were more true to the plot of DooM.
Quoted for hilarity.

Still I'm peeved at how they decided to change the story. Now it'll just be another generic shoot 'em up gore flick, rather than a creepy Doom-related shoot 'em up gore flick.

Back