Does Chris Roberts own WC gaming rights?

Johnl12

Repairman
After looking at Chirs Roberts new company web site does he own WC gaming rights? If he does do you think he'll re-release them. I would buy WCP, P2 and WC3 in DVD format. Especailly if he fix the DirectX graphics in WCP.

I dont think because he made starlancer he necisarally (sp?) has wing commander rights. maybe we'll get lucky!

Originally posted by Zor Prime
I dont think because he made starlancer he necisarally (sp?) has wing commander rights. maybe we'll get lucky!

I don't think you got it...

TC

Let me give you a hand, TC, as it appears that our esteemed and naive (with all due respect, Zor Prime General Sir) colleagues did not get the message, despite Ghost´s Sarcasm alert :D

Chris Roberts does NOT have WC gaming rights, and that´s why he made STARLANCER and not another WING COMMANDER game.

Who does have WC gaming rights? The head of our Top Ten Most Wanted (bankrupt) Enemy: EA.

It appears that Chris has the movie and TV series rights, only.

Now, I have a more intriguing question: Since Chris Roberts does not have WC gaming rights, can he advertise his new products (TV series) using pictures and data from the games, ´cause I think that´s the reason this thread started...

Originally posted by Starkey

Now, I have a more intriguing question: Since Chris Roberts does not have WC gaming rights, can he advertise his new products (TV series) using pictures and data from the games, ´cause I think that´s the reason this thread started...

That was the question that came to my mind as well. But Roberts does have the rights to make those games into shows which means he has the right to copy all the designs and such exactly. so he may be able to use images legally to promote his wc projects.... hmmm.

Anyone know for sure?

Originally posted by AD

That was the question that came to my mind as well. But Roberts does have the rights to make those games into shows which means he has the right to copy all the designs and such exactly. so he may be able to use images legally to promote his wc projects.... hmmm.

Anyone know for sure?

Whether he does or does not have the rights, I think he'd probably be a little reluctant to use most of them (although a shot during the show with a computer in the background running WC1 might make for a good easter egg). The flight graphics in the games look outdated even on personal computers, and would probably turn off potential fans who aren't as familiar with the games ("Talk about cheesy special effects!"). And unless he's somehow able to land the original Wing Commander 3/4 cast (rather difficult, since Jason Bernard is dead), I think he'd be hesitant to show live action game shots on-screen. The last thing he needs to do is get people thinking that his new show is going to star Mark Hamil.
Its obviously hoped that those who enjoyed the Wing Commander games will like the TV show, but in order to survive, it will probably need to draw in a larger audience. Running "As seen in the hit PC video game!" ads is probably the wrong way to go.

Who does have WC gaming rights? The head of our Top Ten Most Wanted (bankrupt) Enemy: EA.B]

You must have crawled into the medical waste dumpster again and shoved a series of used needles with mysterious chemicals into your arm to think that EA is the enemy. The only enemy is people like you, who misunderstand the situation. Educated yourself; your ignorance is forcing those who have some semblence of whats going on to groan and roll their eyes.

I must have crawled into the same dumpster after hundreds of FIFAs, Hockey, Baseball games and the destruction of the reputation of Bond liscened games which Rare built up with Goldeneye.

Oh yeah and the Wing Commander issues ;) Personally I don't think EA handled the reputation of Origins franchise with Prophecy too well, it needed more time not to be pushed out for Christmas but thats my only real complaint.

I got two civilized words for you: Fuck you.

EA gave us the Wing Commander series to begin with. Bite your acursed tounge!

Well.... technically they didn't give it to us to begin with. They just contributed to it's continuation and growth.

TC

Originally posted by junior
Running "As seen in the hit PC video game!" ads is probably the wrong way to go.
I think you're right. I would think that most people that have never heard of WC won't care that it's spawned from a great PC game.

Originally posted by LeHah

You must have crawled into the medical waste dumpster again and shoved a series of used needles with mysterious chemicals into your arm to think that EA is the enemy. The only enemy is people like you, who misunderstand the situation. Educated yourself; your ignorance is forcing those who have some semblence of whats going on to groan and roll their eyes.

I got two civilized words for you: Fuck you.

EA gave us the Wing Commander series to begin with. Bite your acursed tounge!

Your "civility" is obvious. Sorry if you are a lawyer / employee / shareholder of EA but that´s my opinion. Chris Roberts and his crew gave us Wing Commander, not EA.

EA is responsible for shutting down all WC game projects and putting us on an endless waiting of good news. They chose Ultima over WC and did to us what Tolwyn did to Blair after the Claw went down. Since they are not interested in WC anymore, they should at least release the game codes so we could work on some good fan projects but NO, they are letting us drift helplessly into the void, hoping for a new game that might never come. Considering that, yes, I AM BLAMING THEM for the current situation and, digging deep to level with your "civility", I don´t give a damn to what you think.

"I might disagree with every single word you say, but I shall defend with my life your right to say them" - Voltaire

LeHah, I too think you langauge was a bit harsh. You do have the right to disagreed, but not to be crude. I wish TC would've called you on it. He did to dacis2 just a couple of days ago.

I for one wish that EA would release the rights to WC. Sell it to Chris Roberts.

Oh, I don't think their evil. They made a business decision that I just don't agree with. As a fan of this series I wish they would change it. I work in tech and live just a few miles from the MT View offices so I have no problem with them.

Your "civility" is obvious. Sorry if you are a lawyer / employee / shareholder of EA but that´s my opinion. Chris Roberts and his crew gave us Wing Commander, not EA. [/q]

I don't particularly care what LeHah says, being that he's not always the brightest of people... You don't seem to understand that without EA there never would have been the financial backing required for any of the later Wing Commander games. OSI couldn't have pulled off The Heart of the Tiger without a large company behind them. The Price of Freedom was touch and go even with EA's money. Chris Roberts and OSI were a part of Electronic Arts for most of Wing Commander's life, and that helped them. It doesn't really matter if you think EA isn't being overly bright for their current plans. They have been an integral part of Wing Commander for almost a decade now.

EA is responsible for shutting down all WC game projects and putting us on an endless waiting of good news. They chose Ultima over WC and did to us what Tolwyn did to Blair after the Claw went down.

1) EA did indeed cancel a Wing Commander game.
2) EA also cancelled their Ultima games.

Therefore both Wing Commander and Ultima are not under development. It doesn't really matter that the Wing Commander game was cancelled first. Wing Commander is a very expensive series to make, and it isn't very prudent to be making it during a time when Space Sims aren't selling very well. One of the plans for Privateer Online was to purchase Jumpgate and modify it. Take a look at where Jumpgate is right now. They lost the backing of 3DO and they're losing players all the time.

Since they are not interested in WC anymore, they should at least release the game codes so we could work on some good fan projects but NO, they are letting us drift helplessly into the void, hoping for a new game that might never come.

Wow, that's rather stupid. Why should they give anyone their source? It belongs to them and they certainly aren't under any obligation to. They don't have a single person working for them that even worked on the code from the first games. Even if they wanted to, they couldn't get it in such a position that it was ready for release (assuming it still exists). Moving on, I don't see how the fact that you're waiting for a game can be blamed on them. EA's stated that they're not working on anything. You think they should make a game so that you aren't waiting for one? That's one of the stupidest arguments I've heard in a long while.

Considering that, yes, I AM BLAMING THEM for the current situation and, digging deep to level with your "civility", I don´t give a damn to what you think.

Yay, LeHah's stupid, but I don't care.

"I might disagree with every single word you say, but I shall defend with my life your right to say them" - Voltaire

I like how you threw this on the end in an attempt to seem learned or noble in some way. It really has no bearing on anything.

TC

Back