Do you think it was correct that Confed destroyed Kilrah?

Do you think it was *right* that Confed destroyed Kilrah?

• Yes

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 24.7%

• Total voters
From what I remember of the Wc3 game:

"Every Kilrathi lives and dies for the Emperor."

So why not just assassinate (I think I spelled this word wrong :)) the Emperor (and maybe Thrakath and Zukara too since they were relatives and also evil)?

Seems like a less cruel solution to me.

If I am incorrect (which I presumably am) don't come down too hard on me ppl :)

Zim (still alive)

The problem with your logic is that there's no inherent link between the emperor dying and Kilrathi killing themselves. If the emperor died (as was the case, if you'll recall...) a new emperor would be found.

Then why didn't they find a new emperor when Kilrah was destroyed? I mean, the Kilrathi had plenty of planet left at that time, not?

Regards,

Zim

Originally posted by Zim
Then why didn't they find a new emperor when Kilrah was destroyed? I mean, the Kilrathi had plenty of planet left at that time, not?

Regards,

Zim

Because their empire was held together by *Kilrah*, not by the Emperor. They all exist to serve Kilrah, whom the emperor represents.

Also, there was a planned assassination of the Emperor (something to do with the jump drive of his ship having a faulty rod I believe), that was uncovered.

As for getting a new Emperor, that is kinda what they're doing at the present time-having the civil war is to see who will be the next Emperor and (theoretically) unify the empire.

Originally posted by Skyfire
As for getting a new Emperor, that is kinda what they're doing at the present time-having the civil war is to see who will be the next Emperor and (theoretically) unify the empire.

Wouldn't it be in Confed's best interest to prevent that from happening?

You'd assume, but it depends who wins out-whomever takes control, if they're like Melek and wish to be allies with Confed, it could give them a very powerful force for an alliance.

(But yeah, I thought that too. :) )

Originally posted by Penguin

Wouldn't it be in Confed's best interest to prevent that from happening?

You see, if that happened, things would be all nice with the Kats. If we let them fight and the 'bad' faction won, we have a basis for another WC game!

preventing the Kirathi from determining their new emporer would work against Confed. It can create an anti-Confed element which Confed probably doesn't want. Letting the Cats do things their way, and supporting key factions, can lead to a new Confed-friendly Kilrathi Empire which would be a strong and powerful ally both in trade and during times of war.

The trouble is, any emperor who came to power that way would always be seen as a puppet of Confed. You would have near constant coup attempts and revolts.

Best, Raptor

I always thought a cool followup to the Kilrathi War's World War II in Space would have been a 'Vietnam in Space' with Confed sending advisors and then troops and so forth to keep its favored Kilrathi faction vying for power... you'd get to both fly with and fight against Kilrathi, and the plot could involve your character deciding whether he's on the right side and what-not.

At least (IMHO) it beats the "X-barely-mentioned-race-from-a-previous game is *EVIL* now! We have to fight them!" that seems to form the basis of fanfic :)

There are ways to support the faction you want to have win without giving them the latest model Vampires. Trade agreements are one way. A faction that doesn't like Confed can have its trade restricted due to 'security reasons' (the local cats' attitudes toward humans would probably go a long way toward making trade difficult, as well). Factions that are pro-Confed would be more likely to be allowed to trade for the equipment they need.
Another way is even simpler. If Confed doesn't like a faction, they can declare the faction to be 'Pirates', and take action against them. I suspect that most anti-Confed factions would probably be toeing that line, anyway, so it wouldn't be too difficult for the navy to find enough evidence to classify them as pirates.

Originally posted by Eder
I'll go with Mekt and panther on this one.
It was necessary, but I wouldn't call it right... if you think about it, there's hardly anything right about war.

--Eder
I would like to ask you to read the prince.
its on leadership and politics. then respond.

Originally posted by Raptor
It wasn't quite the same thing, though. The bombing of Kilrah was the last throw by a side that was on the verge of losing. The A-bombs were a coup de grace from the side that was winning. The reasons for carrying them out were quite different.

Best, Raptor
I saw a show on tlc or discovery where they talked to a man that was in the japanies military who was in faver of the bomb used because he was alive and his family, friends and country was alive.

Originally posted by Raptor
The trouble is, any emperor who came to power that way would always be seen as a puppet of Confed. You would have near constant coup attempts and revolts.

Best, Raptor

That would certainly be a possibility, although I see most Kilrathi as simply wanting to have their empire back-I may be wrong on that assumption though. Perhaps in the future that could be a problem, but I'd assume it would be something like Japan and the US are now. Modern day Japanese, while they may think we're stupid gluttonous Americans :), actually don't mind the fact that the United States and Japan get along so well. (I'm basing this upon the few Japanese friends I have, so they too might be wrong.) And I would assume that, over time, the mutual respect factor would keep the two together-assume a coup didn't happen while this bond was building.

And LOAF-That actually would be a great game, I'd honestly prefer to see something of that sort. (I made a comment about an Armada/Civilization type game like that, just as the Kilrathi without Confed help-your idea would only improve that.)

wow... I looked here to answer the question... but it seems the conversation has deviated. Surprise surprise.

LOAF's idea is really good. I like the idea of controlling a character groundside, fighting for Confed on the peaks of Kilrah. I personally would love a mission where you are planetside, trying to get back to your ship and getting the hell out of there while another Confed force is preparing to drop a Temblor bomb or something.

I also want to see more nebulae... 3D acceleration and fog effects would make it look really good, I think.

I do not think that Confed and the Kilrathi will unite under a single government ... atleast for a while. I would not want that to happen, either. In sci-fi (the UFP, for instance) it seems humans always become the most important government and form the basis of the culture of all these governements. Thus, I do not want to see the Kilrathi become another minor race in the shadow of the powerful human culture.

Originally posted by Battler Hawke

I would like to ask you to read the prince.
its on leadership and politics. then respond.

I have read the prince and it's not about true leadership and politics. . . it's a resume. If you want a job, you tell your interviewer just what they want to hear. If you are a sadistic, unethical, the "ends justifies the means" person and the person in power "thinks" he/she needs that kind of person to have control, guess what's going to happen? Whatever that person writes is going to sound like the word of God (almost used that c-word everyone seems to like on the board).

Sure the prince is about a side of politics and leadership, but Machevelli took it to its most pure and naked form . . . with no thought to who his decisions and decrees were effecting. If you call what Machevelli wrote politics, I hope you never run for gov't office. :)

By the way, both the A-bomb and the T-bomb were very neccesary evils. Yes I did say evil. I just finished WC1 again and something Paladin was talking about still is hanging with me. About losing what was human and becoming just like the Kilrathi. Truth be told, both races and are just shades of each other. Back a few hundred years, our race decided that honor and battle and the conques tof other lands were more important to us than most anything. Some of our religions even backed those points up (the Crusades). These times sound an awful lot like a certain kitty race I know. Every one has an evil side, an emotional primal side, to them. Our race has decided to suppress that instinct while the Kilrathi have embraced it, just as we have taken to compassion. So what is more evil? To embrace your primal side, shunning the part of you that makes you feel compassion (there were cats who were decent people you know) or feed your caring side, suppressing the primal part of you?

In the end we did something that demonstrates our humanity, not showing our lack of it. We survived, one of those primal instincts that makes every living thing see another sunrise.

<I yeild the soapbox to another and quietly take a seat>

by the way, how long does one stay a cadet?

You people have been busy, with your captain and major ranks and all. :) <staring in astonishment>

Back