Do you have a shuttle?

Lol, Tango, I still don't know how to convert ships to SO. But modelling capships should be no problem. Contact me on email (daniel.goodwin@mchsi.com) and let me know what ships you need modelled. I specialize in low poly models. :)

The real challenge is the Perry Naval Base, the big globe is a diffculty to low polys, but maybe you have experience in models and can you arrive at a good solution.
Next I'll send via mail others. Tell me if you can do Perry Naval Base. :)

TanGO

Here's what I did in about 30 minutes. I'll try to get a higher rez picture soon but I'm running out of web space. The model as it stands right now is right at 5K polys.

perry.jpg

Maj.Striker said:
Hmm, well this is what I threw together. It's about 200-300 polys right now...is that low enough?

shuttle.jpg

shuttle1.jpg

Well!
It's a shuttle,
defenetly low-poly,
and... well, very... VERY NICE!
:D
you make some excellent work Striker

Maj.Striker said:
Here's what I did in about 30 minutes. I'll try to get a higher rez picture soon but I'm running out of web space. The model as it stands right now is right at 5K polys.

perry.jpg

I think maximum polys in SO engine is 1000, anyway I'll investigate that inquireing to some expert guy. :)
About of the construction, no bad if really only take you 30'. I'll wait to view a closer picture.

I wait expert's opinions too.

TanGO

1,000 is the limit in SO? Wow, that's pretty small for a spherical based station. I know in Starlancer (a later game) 5,000 was the limit for capships...didn't think there would be that big of a gap. That's going to be difficult to size down (not impossible but difficult).

Check the station out with a bit larger picture. Still 5k polys but I did a slight bit of texture change (I originally intended to put the Perry 05 on there but ran out of time). Again, the cylinders and such look a little plain, but this is a low poly model, in SO, with the right textures, you probably wouldn't even notice.

OK, I did a consult to Eder about maximum polys.
You should consider a separated mesh to hangar, antena etc?
What about Kilrathi bases? Have you done someone?

Thanks Striker!

TanGO

Separate Mesh? I could break down the antennas, they are already separated sorta... I have done no Kilrathi Stations, but if I find some good reference pictures, it shouldn't be a problem.

Wedge, check it out now, I've redone the picture to include a couple of wings of bold Krants descending on Perry for a little war-mongering. Feel free to use it as a wall paper or whatever. Tango, any particular model you'd like me to work on? I just started on a Dralthi (original) I didn't check the blueprints so this one is modelled off my own memory...I'm not very satisfied with it so I may just scratch this one and start over again.

dralthi1.jpg

dralthi.jpg

Srtiker, Quarto said me about maximum polys, apparently we can be sure about one certain quantity but he said about of 2000 polys "by each mesh" and in standoff we try to keep capships under about 5,000 polys.
Now, let me explain you about of separate mesh, a Capship is composed by various meshes, the meshes are combined in a "ship" file where we attach each mesh by mean of "hardpoints". (reference points). So, when you is playing and target a capship you can change the attack component.
Generally those components are: "BRIDGE", "ENGINES", "HANGAR", "ANTENA"; also we can use a simple component "PART" and this can "rotate" around a point estabished by a "hardpoint".
Now, to avoid render conflicts and collisions, each part must be a unique mesh and this can not intrsect other, the components are joned by mean of imbeds or simply without touch themselves.
In Perry Naval case, the components needs are HANGAR and ANTENA (I don't believe need a bridge but suggestions are accepted), and a few rotatotion PARTs, you know.
That's, in your good perry naval base file you could separate the components, i.e., two semispheres, one is to rotate and the other is to hangar. :)

Srtiker, if you have priveteer you can review other bases, such mining or some other to do. I'm starting a new mod, next of release standoff I could use the Eder ships adding other designs and you can do it very good.

Relate to other bases, somebody to know where we can find kilrathi bases pictures?

Thanks

TanGO

I did a Kilrathi station based off the grainy pict from WC4 (I think) I will be posting a picture later with it. I think understand what you mean, Tango, but I want to be sure. For example, my Perry base consists of about 20-30 different cubes and a few low poly spheres (I think 16 spheres of 300 polys each). The cubes and spheres have been grouped together...is this acceptable? Will I need to break it down to just 5-6 meshes?

Well, according with my understanding, (remember I'm not a expert on construction ships) we could divide in parts while they are not exceed 2000 polys.
In other hand is acceptable that cubes and spheres have been grouped (while the final mesh don't exceed 2000 polys adding cubes and spheres of course)
And in other way we also need separate meshes by "components".
If you check my last post where I said about of "not meshes interception" and separate correctly the total you could divide the ship begining by "components" and next if a component have more than 2000 polys, subdivide it in two or more submeshes.
The important is keep the "components" and "parts" concepts.
Could you have a 3ds keep all components so we can know where the "hardpoints" will be localized and separate next the components in other 3ds files to translate at SO engine type.

TanGO

Killerwave, I could certainly take my best shot at it. Post them here or shoot them to me in an email and I'll see what I can do with them.

Striker, can you send me the files corresponding to Perry? 3ds, textures, etc?
I'll try convert to SO engine.

About Kilrathi Bases, I neither found some picture, this is you are free to imagine few bases smalls and bigs, I'll need both to my mod project. So we could begin to create the "Red Point team" if you want to be a artwork member of course. A lot a work beyond of the ships is needed, i.e. do you like a room confed capship design?
At this moments I've planned publish a mini web site to people who want participate, I've done enough related to ships and capships but I'll begin officially when the entry stotyline has been finished and standoff will be finished.

Thanks

TanGO

Sent the sketches, they are very simple since i dont have a scaner or a good ability in windows paint. :p
Fell free to add any detail in 3d models.

Kilrathi bases?

ships.90.jpg

Image37.gif

There are SO format models in my page, just follow the link on the signature to the ships page. Hope that helps.

Back