Did anyone try modding Battlecrusier?

Nope. Even though it's free, nobody plays it, and it doesn't look very good. Sounds buggy and too convoluted to deal with. In fact, it looks like a crappy mod itself. I don't like "see topic" posts either.

Battlecruiser would make a terrible mod. Not only is the system notoriously buggy and incomprehensible, it's made by Derek Smart, the Village Idiot of the Internet.

There's been a number of attempts to mod the BC series, IIRC, but none of them ever left the planning stages and nobody knows about them because the BC community is so isolationist and paranoid/

Battlecruiser's idea is good, but the execution is lacking at best.

Did you know he was planning to buy the rights to Freespace, so he could make his next Battlecruiser game a Freespace game? :mad:

It was something he threw out in mid 2004, but it probably wasn't ever a serious consideration. He knows people would get all riled up by him making the suggestion, which is exactly what he's trying to do. Because of tactics like these, Battlecruiser is actually a more well known franchise than Freespace, so there's probably no practical reason for him to buy the rights to the name.
https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/5616

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisReid said:
Battlecruiser is actually a more well known franchise than Freespace, so there's probably no practical reason for him to buy the rights to the name.

Actually, until the thread about him wanting to buy the Freespace rights I never even knew about Battlecruiser...shortly thereafter I downloaded it but couldn't get it to run.

Maj.Striker said:
Actually, until the thread about him wanting to buy the Freespace rights I never even knew about Battlecruiser...shortly thereafter I downloaded it but couldn't get it to run.

Not a frequent visitor to the usenet, I presume.

BC is really, really bad. And it would be bad even if it worked. It is absolutely confusing and has a truly awful interface. but then again, it can barely run without crashing. It is one of the worst entertainement softewares ever written.

ChrisReid said:
It was something he threw out in mid 2004, but it probably wasn't ever a serious consideration. He knows people would get all riled up by him making the suggestion, which is exactly what he's trying to do. Because of tactics like these, Battlecruiser is actually a more well known franchise than Freespace, so there's probably no practical reason for him to buy the rights to the name.

Eh.... I think battlecruiser has sold more copies than freespace, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it's more well known.

hurleybird said:
Eh.... I think battlecruiser has sold more copies than freespace, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it's more well known.

Well, sales are a pretty good indicator of how many people will recognize your franchise's name. There's been more Derek Smart space sims spending more time on the shelves than Freespace space sims. The whole internet acts like it knows who Derek Smart is and what he's done. Who recognizes Volition?

Back