Current Poll: Wing Commander on NextGen System?

I believe the official business view is that making the games mouse-based "makes it available and playable to more people" or something like that.

Somehow, it seems that if someone's going to be buying that kind of game in the first place, odds favor them already having or looking into a joystick, especially given how prices have fallen on those lately.

Aside from freelancer, which PC space sim games attempt to be mouse based? (and I agree with Eder, a trend toward outright replacing a joystick with a mouse in a space combat game is idiocy, IMO, because you just don't get the same playing experience)

On a second note, why bother with requiring a usb keyboard or mouse combo for a PS2 or Xbox game when a PC has those items already anyway? It strikes me that console games don't often need the extra controls, as they tend to be more run and gun (arcade-like) and less complex or simulator-like (requiring more controls and features).

Last, and kind of reiterating my concern from my above post- I would play a console WC game, but my big fear with a WC game released solely for console systems is that it would feature one of the following types of game play, instead of being a space combat simulator with a good story:

1. It would be some sort of Starfox like shooter- just fly through a linear level blasting hordes of mindless enemies- in other words, lots of graphical candy, but little substance.

2. It would be a space combat sim, but watered down- stripped down options in terms of wingman orders, one or no external camera views, no power management, etc.

3. A simplistic storyline (in other words, the deepest the story gets is kilrathi/communists/terrorists/rude parking attendants, etc. must be killed in the name of what is good and just) (see C&C Generals example below) and simplistic online play would be substituted to give the game more appeal to what developers perceive as a mass videogame market that is inattentive to well-written storylines and immersive single player experiences (the hallmarks of a WC game), so long as the graphics look nice.

It's not a console game, but does anyone remember what EA did with the C&C series when it released Generals? Generals is a fun multiplayer game, however, the single player campaigns bite and I swear EA wrote the storyline for it on the back of a cocktail napkin after watching a half hour of FOX News, which is a stark contrast from the relatively rich story lines of Westwood's earlier C&C games. I just don't want to see the same thing happen to WC.

Don't get me wrong- I love console games and I love multiplayer games, but I also love WC with it's deep storylines and engaging space simulator combat. My biggest fear with a console-only WC game is that EA would simply botch the hell out of it in an attempt to give it mass market appeal, effectively killing any future development of the WC franchise when the botched game winds up selling poorly.

Interesting opinions from all of you.

I use PCs and consoles for gaming with probably about a 50/50 split. In fact I am so much older than most of you guys that I had to use a console at first (Atari 2600 which I still have) because there really wasn't another affordable option! Currently I have my gaming PC, a Cube, a PS, and a N64. I have all of the consoles connected to an RCA hub on the same television so I can use any of them whenever I choose.

I'd have to say I prefer the PC for some types of games (mainly flight/combat/space simulations and FPS) and consoles for others (sports, auto racing). I've never played a WC game on a console (I have III and IV for the PS) but would prefer to see the series continued for the PC. Those of you who are familiar with and enjoyed the Rogue Squadron series might sympathize. However, modern consoles have come a long way and have their upside (ease of use, rapid game setup, very, very few technical issues, cost), and if a new WC game came out for any of the systems listed in the OP, I'm sure I'd buy it.

SabreAce said:
Somehow, it seems that if someone's going to be buying that kind of game in the first place, odds favor them already having or looking into a joystick, especially given how prices have fallen on those lately.
My thoughts exactly. Not every genre is suited for mouse control. If the idea is to make games more accessible, stick to freaking keyboards. Everyone has one. :p

An alternative would be to invest a few million dollars into R&D... who knows? You might even come up with a game that lets you customize your controls!

It doesn't matter if the PS2 and GC and Xbox have keyboards and mice. The GAMES must support those things. If they don't, then it is of no effect.

Spertallica said:
Don't get me wrong- I love console games and I love multiplayer games, but I also love WC with it's deep storylines and engaging space simulator combat. My biggest fear with a console-only WC game is that EA would simply botch the hell out of it in an attempt to give it mass market appeal, effectively killing any future development of the WC franchise when the botched game winds up selling poorly.

Well, the good news is that the WC ports in the past that have been substantially different from their counterparts have been very good, with new storylines and great techniques to include all the original commands and nuances. Similarly, EA does indeed have one of the best track records in the industry, at least for sales. While they certainly do adapt some things for the "mass market appeal," they have extremely few sales bombs and most of the large majority of their games sell as well as they do because they are quite good.

Edfilho said:
It doesn't matter if the PS2 and GC and Xbox have keyboards and mice. The GAMES must support those things. If they don't, then it is of no effect.

There is actually a third-party device for the xbox now that allows mouse/keyboard input, readapts the signals and translates them into virtual analog-stick movement. Supposed to work decent, even for games that shouldn't be able to handle mouse/keyboard. I don't think that many people use it though. I personally prefer the analog sticks for most things, and the device isn't sold in normal stores.

I guess the biggest true difference between most console and pc genres is conceptual... You have far more true RTS games and Civ like games for PCs and a lot more 3rd person and pure action plataformers for consoles... But these lines are more and more blurred. The Xbox is mostly a pc with a proprietary dedicated gaming OS and gamepads as default controllers. It will even get a decent version of Doom3. Even the Dreamcast had several pc-like charateristics (and it had Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament playable online, and the semi-MMORPG PSO 1 and 2). OTOH, more and more console hits are getting ported to the PC, including the GTA games, Splinter Cell, Beyond Good and Evil... The last big bastion of exclusivity is, unsurprisingly, Nintendo. Even Sega has spread its franchises all around.

On the shadier side of things, emulation is getting stronger and better everyday. I can play games from the SNES, PSX, GBA and many other consoles without much hassle and with great quality on my pc...

Considering the crescent push towards the PC becoming the core of a home-wide media infrastructure (Windows MCE, Linuxes media center solutions, Bluetooth and WiFi all around), soon the difference will become even smaller and the lines even blurrier. I'm not talking about the futuristic exercises of Gates and company, this convergence stuff is becoming closer and closer to reality.

I'm with Loaf and Chris...I'd support WC regardless of what platform it comes out on. I mean, at this point, I'd take any type of WC goodness. Actually, console might not be a bad thing since my pc is hideously behind the times and a new pc game would force an upgrade (something I'd gladly do!). I bought my xbox for $127, much cheaper than a decent video card and I have played it much more than I ever thought I would (I had never played console games prior to the xbox...didn't care for them hardly at all). I will be honest in saying that the xbox has not been known for great flight sims. I had previously bought Crimson Skies and thought the controls were absolutely horrid! I would pretty much require some type of a joystick for a Wing Commander game...however I would purchase the game regardless of whether there was joystick support.

Edfilho said:
I guess the biggest true difference between most console and pc genres is conceptual... You have far more true RTS games and Civ like games for PCs and a lot more 3rd person and pure action plataformers for consoles... But these lines are more and more blurred. The Xbox is mostly a pc with a proprietary dedicated gaming OS and gamepads as default controllers. It will even get a decent version of Doom3. Even the Dreamcast had several pc-like charateristics (and it had Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament playable online, and the semi-MMORPG PSO 1 and 2).

Don't forget Starlancer. Not only did it support 6 player online multiplayer, it could do so in combination with users of the PC version!

Edfilho said:
OTOH, more and more console hits are getting ported to the PC, including the GTA games, Splinter Cell, Beyond Good and Evil... The last big bastion of exclusivity is, unsurprisingly, Nintendo.

Just got my Donkey Kong Jungle Beat last night!

220494b.jpg
donkey-kong-jungle-beat-20041122024345108.jpg

ChrisReid said:
Playing Steel Battalation in 1280x720p resolution in front of a 50" high def tv while sitting in the middle of a four hundred watt sound system is as close as I'll ever be to sitting inside of a giant robot. Until the XBox 2 comes out, I suppose.

Of course, I agree that consoles do offer some great gaming experiences. But I'm still partial to my PC. I guess mostly because I use it for all kinds of things. As the consoles become capablie of better resolutions this seems less of an issue. I remember when those stupid things came out for browsing the net on your TV. How could it possibly have been usefull on a non high def 4:3 TV !

As far as having Big screens... that is not limited to consoles either. My vid card has the digital hook up for lcds and high def tvs. I can hook my PC directly to the digital por t and play games essentialt turning the TV into a monitor. I can Imagine it now! Wing Commander 4 on a huge tv (in good resolution) in the middle of a booming 5.1 stereo system! :)

At the very least a lot of video cards have composite or s-video output. It's just that text is hard to read in these modes.

Too bad WC4 only supports 640x480 or 800x600. However most new games support 16x9 in high resolution. Especially since all those multimedia PC's come with those widescreen lcds.

Edfilho said:
The last big bastion of exclusivity is, unsurprisingly, Nintendo.

They learned their lesson from whoring out to the Phillips CD-I.

Edfilho said:
Even Sega has spread its franchises all around.

They didn't have much of a choice - Sega got obliterated in the NextGen wars.

I'm a sicko that buys every damn thing (PC or console) that comes out. Personally, I don't mind the amount of money that I have to bury away until it is time to make the purchase. I go through a major computer upgrade every year and a half and several minor revisions as well. I like the fact that when you buy a new console, it should last you about five years before a fresh crop of next-gen systems are released. I like the backward compatibilty with the PS2. I still enjoy playing WC 3 and WC 4 because it is just a different experience. I have practically every WC game dating back to 1990. I will truly lean either way. I prefer my space sims on my PC along with FPS, RTS. The PC simply dominates in these areas. Still though, you have seen several impressive games on the X-BOX such as the SW Starfighter games. Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike on the Gamecube are two of the best-looking sci-fi games I have ever seen. I am still left breathless everytime I play. KOTOR and KOTOR II proved that great RPG's could be done using a gamepad. Personally, I would not give up any of my consoles, and you can pry my computer from my cold dead hands.

ChrisReid said:
Don't forget Starlancer. Not only did it support 6 player online multiplayer, it could do so in combination with users of the PC version!

I love Starlancer, never played it on the Dreamcast though

Interesting... I never got around to buying SL for the dc. might do it.

These bongo games must be pretty cool. if people were less prejudiced against neww stuff like that, games could be a lot more fun. only nintendo has the courage to invest in these things. And they used to be THE mainstream guys.

Sega Could have concentraded the franchises on one system, i.e. nintendo. but they decided to go all the way. and they are starting to suck.

Yeah, Burnout 3 on the X-BOX is kicking my ass right now. Holy crap Reid, clean that place. Your living room looks like the set of the movie Twister.

Edfilho said:
Interesting... I never got around to buying SL for the dc. might do it.

You know, I never did play Starlancer on the DC either. It might be worth it just so I can play through the game without the annoying crashes. It was amazing to me that a game that buggy, that was a Microsoft prodect no less, would never have a patch written for it.

Back