CSS and TCS: The difference?

BlueClaw

Spaceman
What's the difference between the terms CSS and TCS? In WC1, there was a ship called the CSS Suffolk. Was this the naming system in that era, or a mistake of some sort? Did the makers of Wing Commander dislike the CSS naming system, and change it to TCS?

I would say that they're probably interchangable, along with just plain CS, which we see in the movie. There's a TCS Suffolk that's seen in Academy, which would, I assume, be the same ship.

Was the Suffolk a transport or a warship? (it's been a while since I've played wc1)

If it were a transport I'd guess that CSS may be for Civilian registered ships while TCS is for Military registered ships. Of course later on in the war, the ships and their crews might be transferred into the service and reregistered as a TCS.

If the Suffolk was a warship, I'd agree and go with interchangable

:)

According to Shotglass, the CSS Suffolk was responsible for destroying some sort of Kilrathi communications centre, so I'd think it is a warship.

For some reason, I thought it was:

CSS: Confederation Starship
CNV: Confederation Navy Vessel (A mislabel of CVN)
TCS: Terran Confederation Ship

Originally posted by LeHah
For some reason, I thought it was:

CSS: Confederation Starship
CNV: Confederation Navy Vessel (A mislabel of CVN)
TCS: Terran Confederation Ship

Then there's CS from the movie, which i've taken to be a just a shortened form of TCS, just like Halcyon never said Transport, but 'sport.

Speaking of TCS and what not... Is there a place (or can someone tell me) all the designations of the ships we know, for example... the designation of CV-##, wasn't the Claw CV-07? Or do I have a bad memory.....

Originally posted by vax
Speaking of TCS and what not... Is there a place (or can someone tell me) all the designations of the ships we know, for example... the designation of CV-##, wasn't the Claw CV-07? Or do I have a bad memory.....

Check the articles page for the ships names thing....I think that has designations on it...

CSS may have sounded a little too much like somehting from the American Civil War. Confederate States Ship or something.

CSS Hunley for example.

I've never seen CSS used in any of the games. Though I have seen CS used in at least WC1, I've had some trouble playing KS lately because Windows XP is the spawn of Satan!
I think the only times I saw CS was in realation to transports, though I'm probably wrong because Windows Xp would make Mother Teresa want to string Bill Gates up by his entrails.
Okay, I'm a little jaded, but thats my experience with the whole TCS CSS CS deal.:D

'CSS' appears in WC1 (the CSS Suffolk) and in the movie artwork... 'TCS' appears everywhere (including WC1 and in the movie)... 'CS' appears in the Confed Handbook.

It's the TCS Diligent (According to the ship list WW posted)?Does that mean Paladin's ship is registered with ConFleet? I thought it was a "requisitioned merchantman" and thus, a third-party trader (even though Paladin was a ConFleet Commodore).

Well, there are two such ships listed. The second one obviously refers to the Diligent-class transport. The one from the movie is probably listed because it actually belongs to the Confederation and is used by operatives like Paladin for undercover missions. It's like the Grimalkin from Special Operations 2.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
Well, there are two such ships listed. The second one obviously refers to the Diligent-class transport. The one from the movie is probably listed because it actually belongs to the Confederation and is used by operatives like Paladin for undercover missions. It's like the Grimalkin from Special Operations 2.

The two ships ARE different...

The game Dilligent is a Dilligent-class transport...

The WCM Dilligent is an Errant-Class Merchantman....

Weasel actually answered my question exactly as LOAF did on AIM. You lose, Ladiesman^; fork over your milk money.

Back