Cruiser Confusion

A bit off topic, but could the Plunckett-class Heavy Artillery Cruiser be in any way related to the Omega-project of Fleet Action?

Another question...

What was confed's over cruiser model during the 2660s? The waterloo seems to have not been built in massive numbers and was wondering what other models also served around this time....

Waterloos seem pretty common in WC2 - serving in all sorts of weird roles (light carrier, prison ship, court room, etc.). We really don't have enough of an exposure to the WC universe to know how many would be built.

Wow, lots of different opinions on what it looks like. :) That's a good thing I think. Hmm, it does look very similar to a confed version of the Fralthi...I didn't see the resemblance until someone pointed it out. I started the model with no real conception of what I was making and it kinda of evolved into this. Someone mentioned it look kinda like a lego creation...unfortunately I think that's a characteristic of my models since I am apparently so fond of cubes. :) Anyway, its got the big guns for a cruiser so I thought it might fit the bill.

Bandit LOAF said:
Waterloos seem pretty common in WC2 - serving in all sorts of weird roles (light carrier, prison ship, court room, etc.). We really don't have enough of an exposure to the WC universe to know how many would be built.

It's just another confusion having to do with how they count the Gettysburg at Vukar Tag as a large part of the task force.

On second glance, it does seem that waterloos are more numerous than I thought...

Maj.Striker said:
Someone mentioned it look kinda like a lego creation...unfortunately I think that's a characteristic of my models since I am apparently so fond of cubes. :)

Oh, I didn't think about other ways my "lego" designation could be interpretted. I really just meant it struck me as a replicator ship, and since replicator blocks are a lot like legos the comment came out. On that note, I searched for pictures of replicator ships online but I couldn't find any to compare. The replicator ships now seem to be a little bit out there, but when less technologically advanced I can see replicators forming ships like this.

Back to the design... I love the hard lines, they make it look rugged. Then, despite the rugged look, the final product is still sleek and looks quite high tech. Quite impressive to be able to create something that looks both rugged and sleek.

120x90.jpg

Actually, it looks almost identical to the Federation Danube class runabout seen on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Bandit LOAF said:
I would say that these two are a distinct class of heavy cruisers - the WCIV novel certainly makes the distinction that Achilles and Agamemnon are uniquely heavy ships. We certainly know of other cruisers (Gettysburg-class, Manassas-type, etc.), but not any that specifically came online in the sixties.
How sure are you of that? I am just asking because in Wing Commander Academy: Chain of Command someone on the Tiger's Claw bridge mentioned that they "read the Trafalgar and three Achilles class destroyers." If this is indeed the same thing, then I believe that we see a slight glimpse of it in a little bit, right before the admiral comes aboard the Tiger's Claw.

Chris Blair said:
It looks like a cross between the Battlestar Galactica and a WWII Battleship to me. Looks cool ;)

When I first started working on the model, it was to be a Wing Commander 1 era battleship since I'd never seen one as of yet, however the more it progressed the more I felt it wasn't impressive enough for that. I have since started work on a battleship, I'll try to post pics sometime.

Patton said:
From the 'UBW vs FRLN' thread, LOAF's post mentions that the ships in question are "old revenue cutters." This sounds a lot like a customs boat to me, so my guess on it would be light, extremely fast, and geared against civilian spacecraft. Probably lighter weapons like laser cannons, so they can disable smugglers and land a boarding party. Though, knowing the Border Worlds, there is no telling what they are armed with now.

I just saw a Paradigm firing Antimatter guns in my mind. I think the Paradigm and Kamekh are are cutters that were mislabeled corvettes.

*waves*
Hi guys! I heard someone mention a UBW vs FRLN thread, could you guys point me towards it?

EDIT: Scrub that, I just saw it

Dragon1 said:
A bit off topic, but could the Plunckett-class Heavy Artillery Cruiser be in any way related to the Omega-project of Fleet Action?

You mean the one that Tolwyn thinks about in the last chapter? I thought that meant the Behemoth.

It's definately explained along the lines of a stealthy heavy carrier opposed to the kats Hakaga super heavy ships.

Omega is something mentioned once in FA and we never hear from it again....

Nemesis said:
No, we know it can’t be the Behemoth.

Tolwyn mentions the "dreadnaught-class" battleship under construction on the far side of the Confederation (Fleet Action, page 294). I thought that referred to the Behemoth.

Bandit LOAF said:
Nope - he describes it as being small and stealthy...

No he doesn't.

Fleet Action said:
Perhaps the new dreadnaught-class battleship under construction on the far side of the Confederation might reverse that, but in his [Tolwyn's] heart he doubted if it would be ready in time to repulse the next attack.

Back