Cruiser Confusion

If you read the part when he first gets back to Earth and talks to Bainbridge and first brings it up (which sends Bainbridge into a small tizzy as if he had known Tolwyn was in on Omega he would have never let him go out to the Landreich). Bainbridge talks about how it is a stealthy carrier.

Dundradal said:
If you read the part when he first gets back to Earth and talks to Bainbridge and first brings it up (which sends Bainbridge into a small tizzy as if he had known Tolwyn was in on Omega he would have never let him go out to the Landreich). Bainbridge talks about how it is a stealthy carrier.

Actually, no he doesn't. The only description is from Tolwyn's POV:

Fleet Action said:
The Confederation was doing the same. It was not so much a super carrier, along the lines of the suspected Kilrathi design, but a Stealth, heavily armored battlewagon wih upgraded shielding that was proof against medium-yield antimatter warheads. There were rumors of a new superweapon to be carried on the new ship, but that was an even darker secret.

And Tolwyn’s description of Omega, as quoted, does not fit well with Behemoth. Another problem is we learn in the novel Heart of the Tiger that Tolwyn “first got involved with the early planning of Project Behemoth nearly ten years ago” (p.274), but as noted in the novel Fleet Action was not supposed to know anything at all about “Project Omega” because he was “never cleared to know that” (p. 176). The most natural conclusion is that the two (differently named) projects are indeed different projects.

Ubova / Ubavo (I forget the spelling) was in charge of the project until his suicide, in HoTT I think Tolwyn might be exagrating his role, he may of had a part in the original idea phase, but I wouldn't think much past that.

And speaking about Omega, don't you wonder where Tolwyn could of ever learned to crack Triple A secured documents to learn about it....Starwind this is where having AS would come in handy....:)

Vance Richards is one great guy...

personally:
the model looks like a crossover between the battlestar galactica and the tiger's claw.

and it has the one thing about the 80's scifi ship i could never get;

those things are the landing strips/docking bays not engines or whatever you'd call your propulsion systems, but how do you transport your fighters back to the launch tubes? i couldn't think of a practical way.... midway's design seemed more logical.

On the classificantion of ships, i found this:
In the age of sail, after the development of the line of battle in the mid 17th century, and up to the mid 19th century, a ship of the line (of battle) was a warship powerful enough to take a place in the battle line.

Wikipedia is nice.

Back