• No

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Maybe, but not everything matches up

Votes: 16 43.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Lelapinmechant

Yea verilly, I've been online for a long time, but this is the first board to which I've ever subscribed. I guess it's normal, then. Still weirds me out a little, though. I mean, I know it sounds too uptight or too serious or something, but I've always kind of taken Hitler... seriously.

As right you probably should, but that doesn't make the subject taboo. I take WWII as a whole seriously, yet I enjoy as much as anyone playing Medal of Honor and blowing away some Germans.

Especially today, Hitler has become synonomous with "evil". Therefore if you want to call someone "evil", another word for it is "Hitler". If I say (totally an example here) LOAF was like Hitler, i'm not neccesarily saying LOAF is a Austrian born German dictator who led Germany in the 1930's and 40's and killed millions of innocent people. I simply mean he's evil. (Not that I think that :p )

In this case, i'm sure the charecter of Tolywn WAS based in some part on Hitler. So why wouldn't we compare the two?

While we're at it, lets compare him to Stalin too. He killed more people than Hitler did as far as I know.

Your right, he did. (Bye nearly 4x the amount.) The factor that most people use to say that Stalin is worse, is the fact that all 20 million were his own people-where as Hitler's 5 million were people from all across Europe.

That's probably the reason is Hitler is more notorious, actually. His policies had an impact on a huge swathe of the world, not just on Russia.

PS: Are you sure that the 5 million figure for Hitler is accurate? From what I remember of my history, 6 million Jews alone died in the death camps, which doesn't count Catholics, Gypsies, homosexuals, dissidents and so on. And that's of course not counting the death toll from World War 2.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Raptor
That's probably the reason is Hitler is more notorious, actually. His policies had an impact on a huge swathe of the world, not just on Russia.

I would think Hitler is more notorious because of his methods....Hitler actually went and rounded people up and did all sorts of crazy stuff to them. Stalin pretty much used guns.

Your actually right, the estimated count is 6 million-hit the wrong button.

Actually, Stalin used methods similar to Hitler's-in the fact that he put people in camps, etc. for labor. He was just more prone to killing people than Hitler was.

I think Hitler is more infamous because of the sheer evilness of what Hitler did. They way that he disliked these jews so he rounded them up and killed them. Also Hitler now has several hundred cults and other sick evil organisations devoted to him Whereas Stalin does not.

Eh, Hitler's deeds were a lot less significant compared to Stalin's deeds. The real reason why Stalin is considered "less evil" is because all the propaganda in those days sought to demonise Hitler, and left Stalin alone (why demonise an ally?). This changed a bit during the Cold War, but it was too late - you can't tell people for a decade that Hitler was the most evil person ever, and then suddenly expect them to believe you that he actually wasn't as bad as the guy that helped you defeat him. And Skyfire, the people who lost their lives under Stalin were only "his people" in the same way that the people killed by the Germans were "Hitler's people" - that is, they happened to live in a place occupied by the Soviet Union.

Eh, I guess that's kinda true. The only problem is that Hitler set up his own governments-except in France-while Stalin allowed his satellite states to have their own government, it's just that their military was the Soviet Union's.

So while that is fairly similar, the ruling system was slightly different-and, technically, they were they're own countries-just within the sphere of Soviet Control.

Heh, that's no more true than your first statement was. Stalin set up Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania as satellite states, but everything else that got under Soviet control was turned into a part of the Soviet Union proper. And when any of the satellites moved towards breaking away, the Soviet troops came marching in. Hitler did the same thing with Vichy France, so I'd say both used pretty much the same ruling methods.

Um...all you did was solidify my point. Hitler did it to France-Stalin did it to about 5 countries. Your saying because of places like Afganistan and the Yukran being part of the Soviet Union-the rest doesn't apply.

Like I said, they were independent governments-who's military was basically the Soviet Union's. And while the USSR might have crushed any rebellions in there-that's because their military was Soviet! Those were independent countries-they just chose a government form and went with the closest/strongest group they could find. (Both in becoming dictatorships in WWII, then becoming communists.)

While Hitler made all places Germany-not just a few, then set up the other half as puppet governments. That's a fairly different ruling system-as your creating another branch to deal with the problems of a conquered/held area than a governor. Your creating an entire, self running, beauracracy. (Which is much more effective at sending supplies to Russia, than German control was at trying to rebuild.)

Re: Re: Could Tolwyn Be Compaired to Hitler?

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix

Hitler was far from a genius when it came to military matters.

I ammend my decision on that statement. I now remember that the allies didn't want to kill Hitler because he was doing a better job at running his own forces into the ground than a general would that would have replaced him had he been assasinated.

The Bavarian Corporal, yup, no military genius.

Of course if Stalin hadn't shot all his good officers the Bavarian Corporal's troops never would have gotten within sight of Moscow.

Ironic that the German forces were trained by the Soviet commanders-etc. and then all those commanders were killed. Which in turn made the Soviet forces inferior, command-wise, to the German.

Originally posted by Skyfire
Ironic that the German forces were trained by the Soviet commanders-etc. and then all those commanders were killed. Which in turn made the Soviet forces inferior, command-wise, to the German.

Um...
What?
That's one I haven't heard before. The Soviets and the Nazis did not get along until just before the invasion of Poland (when they secretly signed a non-aggression pact). I've never heard that the Soviets trained the German army, and I have a heard time believing something like that was even suggested.
And given the importance of battlefield tactics developed by Guderian, I think the evidence pretty heavily suggests that the Germans did their own thing.

Skyfire, firstly, Afghanistan certainly never was a part of the Soviet Union.
Secondly, the satellite countries did have their own militaries (ironically, these forces participated in crushing the other countries' attempts to get out of the Soviet bloc), but they did not choose their own form of government. In all those countires, the Soviets promised free and fair elections in 1946-48 to determine the new government. Being the occupiers, however, it wasn't difficult for them to rig the elections.
Thirdly, you are assuming that Hitler intended to permanently occupy the rest of Europe. There is no evidence to support this assumption. While it's difficult to guess what his exact intentions were, it's most likely that had the war ended with German victory, Germany would have set up Vichy-like governments in pretty much all of Western Europe - the places that Hitler wanted to directly attach to Germany were mostly in Eastern Europe.

Meanwhile, is it just me, or did somebody mention Tolwyn? :p

Tolwyn can be compared to Hitler. So can any other mass murderer.

Nobody mentioned Mao. Or Pol Pot. Can't forget those examples of misplaced rage either. Or for that matter Ivan the terrible, and Ghangis Kahn.

Anyone else want to add to the list?

Finally-the Jewboy could find a way into the Nazi thread. Oy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back