Consoles or no?

How do you feel about ports of WC?

• WC belongs on the PC. End of story.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • Mac and Amiga ports are okay... at least they have a keyboard.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Some of the console titles are really good.

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Love 'em! WC SNES is what got me into WC!

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters
I'm considering buying WC4 for my PSX, I saw it used for just ten bucks... But how is it? Does anyone know? I mean, WC3 on PSX didn't have any of the ground missions, but it had all of the movies... is there some similar trade-off for WC4? And, as long as I'm on the topic-- How do you feel about console WC ports in general? Love 'em/hate 'em/ Collect them solely because they're Wing Commander Games?

I thought it was great however the ground missons are changed to space missions.And console versions are how I got started.

PC. The consoles nowadays have analog and D-pad, in the heat of battle you could slip up and start cussing.
I did that with my 7yr old nephew's X-Box and man were my parents mad at me for that.

Playing WC3 on the 3DO got me hooked. The 3DO WC3 is, IMHO, just totally awesome! So, I am totally open-minded about console ports of Wing Commander games... as long as they're done right.

I am no particular fan of the SNES WC1. I like the Sega CD WC1, though. I absolutely despise SWC on 3DO.

The PSX Wing Commanders are a mixed bag. WC3 was an awesome port (albeit the lack of cockpits; your only choice was the strictly-HUD view and chase camera). The lack of ground missions was also the case in the 3DO version, which was a kinda' crappy because I enjoyed manually nuking Kilrah. The console-exclusive FMVs were great but only a so-so compensation for great missions.

PSX WC4 is crap. Such a poor port! The graphics are chunky, the FMV isn't as crisp and the controls are a bit sluggish and lame.

So, I voted for the "some are good," choice. Hope I was able to help on your decision to get the PSX Wing Commanders too :)

I had to vote for the SNES option, because I didn't have a PC at the time and that version was where I lost my WC virginity.:D

I voted for the PC option. Though I have never tried any of the others, I feel that WC is probably going to be like any medium. You change the format that it was originally designed for and you loose something in the process.

Consoles saved my marriage! You can get a WC-console and its WC games for about what you’d pay for a new game anyway… or *less*! And it’s like playing a new Wing Commander game in these dark, dark days.

WC and SM SNES are just full of so much weird stuff… Hell’s Kitchen is named ‘Apocalypse’? Jalthi are green Salthi? What the hell? How much of this stuff is there?! Spend the damn $2 on the SNES at the next yard sale and find out.

You know what’s great about SegaCD WC? It talks! Not just in space… but *everywhere*. And the dub is *great*! And you know how much a SegaCD setup costs? You probably made enough reading this paragraph. If you’re feeling especially rowdy, track down a CDX and you’ll have WC1 on the go.

If the console gaming world had a beautiful hat that it hardly ever wore despite being the best hat ever, that hat would be the 3DO. The 3DO is frigging awesome, people. And you can get one on the cheap. What do you get? Super Wing Commander… and lets admit it, you never played Super Wing Commander. You just heard your buddy talk about it and so you *pretended* to save face. But now you can! And a *completely new* version of WC3! Different engine? Different mission layouts? All the missing movies? Sign me up! You can even get a real-life honest-to-god joystick for the WC games.

You can get a handsome new PSOne for a hundred dollars… or a used one for around $70. And you can play some pretty sweet ports of Wing Commander 3 and 4. WC3 is… well, it’s a fine conversion. Wing Commander 4… is horribly butchered and then injected with fun. It’s got all sorts of neat little differences (wingmen name changes? What the hell?)… and it takes advantage of the newer digital-ish PSX joy-pads. It’s like a barrel of monkeys that contains sharks!

A PowerMac costs about a hundred bucks. Buy one on eBay *now*. Play SWC, WC3 and WC4. And it’ll be just like doing it on a PC… only it’ll feel… sexier. Like you’re doing something that’s so wrong it’s right.

You know who’s crazier than Mac people? Amiga people. And there are three versions of WC1 for the Amiga. Want to go all out? Get your ass an Amiga CD32 console system with a SX-1 addon so you can play all three (okay, two of them are nearly identical… but still…). Americans are going to have to pay more. Sorry. Those Brits will have to pay through the nose for everything else, though.

Getting *thirteen* new versions of Wing Commander games isn’t enough to entertain you? Well, what if I were to tell you that…

THEY MAKE WING COMMANDER FOR COMPUTERS YOU’VE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF!

That’s right… if you want a hell of a quest, you can swear that you’ll track down the Japanese Wing Commander games.

They’ve got four games for the FM Towns and one for the PC98… and you’ll go half crazy and entirely broke trying to get yourself these games and their system.

I guess some consoles are ok. I know that I have access to a computer. Some people don't or just don't have the $$$ to upgrade their computer for a WC game. At least through a console they can have the ability to be around WC and be able to play it. Certainly not all consoles are bad.

Never played any comnsole WC except WC and SM for SNES which were fun (but I am not very adapted to those gamepads), thus I can't give a real vote.

I was able to play Wc1 on the snes console. I could have never got it to work on my computer so the snes made it simple and fun to play because it couldn't FREEZE!

Hmm... How butchered is butchered? I mean, does WC4 PSX have all the cinemas from the PC? I could handle messed up missions-- they might be fun. But I don't know if I could deal with a different story...

Well lets see, today I would say yes to console wing commander as Joysticks, mice and keyboards are all peripherals used and the smallest medium used by any of them is 1.5GB, twice that of a CD used by PCs....

but the exisiting ports weren't too amazing from what I've played/heard but WC3 was supposed to have its positive points.

I agree. Looking at some of the missing FMVs from the PC version on the 3DO was awesome.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Consoles saved my marriage!

They did!?

track down a CDX and you’ll have WC1 on the go.

What's a CDX? I must get one and play WC1 on the go!

If the console gaming world had a beautiful hat that it hardly ever wore despite being the best hat ever, that hat would be the 3DO. The 3DO is frigging awesome, people.

Daaaaaaaammmnnn straight!! :cool:

Originally posted by Col.Dom

They did!?

Originally posted by Col.Dom
Daaaaaaaammmnnn straight!!

Originally posted by Pedro
Well lets see, today I would say yes to console wing commander as Joysticks, mice and keyboards are all peripherals used and the smallest medium used by any of them is 1.5GB, twice that of a CD used by PCs....

but the exisiting ports weren't too amazing from what I've played/heard but WC3 was supposed to have its positive points.

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant
Hmm... How butchered is butchered? I mean, does WC4 PSX have all the cinemas from the PC? I could handle messed up missions-- they might be fun. But I don't know if I could deal with a different story...

:)

Back