Confed Politics in 2681

ask yourself this,
if you were alive in 2681, would you ask this question?
answer, NO!!!
no one really cares about government now, and chances are no one will in the future.

Originally posted by Penguin
Maniac and Drake are witnessess. In this context that gives them a small role to play politics.

I can see Drake in the role.

But Maniac? I can't see him standing with a serious look on his face and briefing higher officials. He's too... cool for that....

Well, it's not like the Maniac's never serious :p

Despite his... unorthodox behaviour in the games, I can believe Maniac voluntarily making a serious contribution to whatever it is Paladin is asking of him. After all, his flying days are over for the moment, aren't they?

Originally posted by Wedge009
Despite his... unorthodox behaviour in the games, I can believe Maniac voluntarily making a serious contribution to whatever it is Paladin is asking of him. After all, his flying days are over for the moment, aren't they?

Maniac's? I thought he was considering retirement?

OH NO! Is he out of the cockpit!? It's kinda' depressing to think of all our favorite heroes of Wing Commander past dismounting....

I guess they've all got to be old sometime.

Also, what's this about Paladin returning to war??

There's no mention of Paladin going to war... just that it was considered. Nothing is mentioned of his being in a cockpit.

[Edit]: Whoo hoo, promotion!

Originally posted by Col.Dom
Also, what's this about Paladin returning to war?
In Paladin's letter to Blair in the (Singaporean) Prophecy manual, he mentions that they (presumably the military) are considering taking him out of mothballs and back into the cockpit. I suppose the statement was to try to underline the seriousness of the Nephilim threat... such as it was. :)

Paladin's got to have been joking. He's too old to be flying. There's no shortage of younger and capable pilots.

As for Maniac, he was the head of the Wild Eagles test squadron. Consequently he would've been the chief voice on whether or not the Morningstar actually was a viable fighter.

Originally posted by Penguin
Paladin's got to have been joking. He's too old to be flying. There's no shortage of younger and capable pilots.

And flying is the only job someone can have during a war!

Originally posted by Col.Dom

Maniac's? I thought he was considering retirement?

OH NO! Is he out of the cockpit!? It's kinda' depressing to think of all our favorite heroes of Wing Commander past dismounting....

Either that, or kill them off.

And considering the number of Blair's former wingmates who aren't confirmed dead at this point...

Who've we got?
From the Tiger's Claw
Paladin and Maniac

Concordia
Stingray, Doomsday, Maniac - Bear, sort of (sort of a wingman, that is)

Victory - Maniac, again

Intrepid - Everyone except Hawk and Vagabond - although you barely know half of them, since they never appear out of the cockpit

WCP - Casey, Maniac, Maestro

Now which do you prefer? Blair's death, or Maniac's being put out to pasture?

Originally posted by junior

Blair's death. Maniac forever.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
And flying is the only job someone can have during a war!

They'll probably make him head of Covert Ops again. Maybe we'll get to see John Rhyes Davies in a funktastic shirt?

Originally posted by Wedge009
In Paladin's letter to Blair in the (Singaporean) Prophecy manual, he mentions that they (presumably the military) are considering taking him out of mothballs and back into the cockpit. I suppose the statement was to try to underline the seriousness of the Nephilim threat... such as it was. :)

Odd... cause the American manual says that "they" are only talking about it.

Originally posted by junior
Why can't I have both? :p

Seriously though, I don't see the point of whinging about this. The passing of old heroes and appearing of new ones is one of the great things about WC. Apart from helping to get the seriousness of the situation across (the series is not about ballerinas - it's about fighter pilots), it also helped to keep the series fresh.

Originally posted by Saturnyne

Odd... cause the American manual says that "they" are only talking about it.

Are you sure you understand what considering means? Because he's saying the exact same thing you are.

Back