Confed Politics in 2681

Raptor

Spaceman
Hey guys, Raptor here.

I'mm writing a scene in an upcoming story about a debate in the Confed Senate, and I want as much information about Confed's politicians around WC:p/SO as I can. (I'm especially interested in what was in the SO docs and fiction, as I don't have those at present.) I would also like your thoughts in things which aren't specified in the canon.

Things I would like to know:

-Are any major political parties named in the fiction? If so, which ones? What are their policies?

-Is Taggart still the speaker of the Senate? Also, as Speaker, is he meant to stay out of party politics (as with most Commonwealth parliments) or does he have a great deal of political power (as in the US Congress?)

-What other politicians are named? Which parties do they belong to, and what do they stand for? (Re-arming/decreasing military spending, supporting the frontier or letting the frontier planets fend for themselves?)

-Are any influential political figures outside the Senate named? Again, what do they stand for?

Best, Raptor

Wow, Raptor. Awesome question. Being a fan of politics, myself, I always pondered the way Confed dealt and who its major figureheads were.

I have as many questions as you on it, so, sadly, I bear no answers.

However, I am looking forward to the answers (or ideas, if there are non) posted here!

GO RAPTOR :)

THese are tough, but I can answer the party question. IIRC, It is mentioned in the novels there are two major political parties in Confed: the Federalists and the Populists. Other than that Taggart is a Federalist, I know no more.

4 AM thoughts...

This is all pretty much explained in an ICIS manual article <G>

-Are any major political parties named in the fiction? If so, which ones? What are their policies?

Paladin (F, Altair) is head of the Federationalist (Federation, not Federal) majority (and therefore is probably still the Speaker). Senator Gaston Diego was head of the Populists. The Federationalists support military upkeen (not expansion...) and the populists support a 35% RIF.

-Is Taggart still the speaker of the Senate? Also, as Speaker, is he meant to stay out of party politics (as with most Commonwealth parliments) or does he have a great deal of political power (as in the US Congress?)

Yes and no.

(Although Paladin was still in the senate last we heard, he'd also had his comission re-activated and was planning on going back to war...)

-What other politicians are named? Which parties do they belong to, and what do they stand for? (Re-arming/decreasing military spending, supporting the frontier or letting the frontier planets fend for themselves?)

Governor Cavazos of the Sol Sector

Joshua Irium (P, Arcadia)

Governor Sephert (unknown -- possibly the majority whip)

This one might interest you -- it's from the Privateer TV show synopsis:

Governor Halas Hodge: Hodge is the elected governor of the loose government known as the Union of Border Worlds; he is also the government's representative to the Confederation of Terran Worlds. He is terrible at both jobs. A vain, self-centered man, he views the Border Worlds as his personal kingdom. An expert manipulator of people, he reassures the local Border Worlds governments that he is communicating their desires back to the Assembly of Man on Terra, but his primary interest is in self-gratification and profiteering. He and the local criminal syndicates have their hands in one anothers' pockets.

-Are any influential political figures outside the Senate named? Again, what do they stand for?

Why, Todd Marshall and Patricia Drake, of course <G> Paladin mentions in the WCP Gold letter that he's using them to convince the senate that supporting the military is necessary post-WCP...

Sam Langtry - the activist campaigning against unsafe R&D work from SO.

Luis Chau - Managing Officiate of Argent Resource management board

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Paladin (F, Altair) is head of the Federationalist (Federation, not Federal) majority (and therefore is probably still the Speaker). Senator Gaston Diego was head of the Populists. The Federationalists support military upkeen (not expansion...) and the populists support a 35% RIF.

Okay, thanks. I can work these two into my story on the debate.

This one might interest you -- it's from the Privateer TV show synopsis:

Governor Halas Hodge: Hodge is the elected governor of the loose government known as the Union of Border Worlds; he is also the government's representative to the Confederation of Terran Worlds. He is terrible at both jobs. A vain, self-centered man, he views the Border Worlds as his personal kingdom. An expert manipulator of people, he reassures the local Border Worlds governments that he is communicating their desires back to the Assembly of Man on Terra, but his primary interest is in self-gratification and profiteering. He and the local criminal syndicates have their hands in one anothers' pockets.

Cool. This would be good for BW internal politics. What is the timeframe for the TV show? Around Prophecy and SO?

Also, what's the name of the person in the SO docs who questioned further outward expansion? (This was when the damage to the frontier colonies from the invasion was being assessed.)

Best, Raptor

That was Rep. Irium from Arcadia (I think I mentioned him).

Also from that article was Governor Milam Weir of Hellespont.

The Privateer TV series' first season would have been 2673-2674.

So what happened to it? Was it canned for good, or is it still a prospect sometime in the future?

Best, Raptor

Damn, I'm having trouble recalling most of the details about the Privateer show, but I'm pretty sure it's dead. As I recall, it didn't really get that far to begin with.

Some kind of TV Show of Privateer, I guess <G>

Really!!?? WOW!!!! I never would have guessed...
[/sarcasm]

Seriously, I don't recall seeing anything about it while roaming through the archives on the main site, and its not something I've heard about before. Any further information on it?

Originally posted by junior

Really!!?? WOW!!!! I never would have guessed...
[/sarcasm]

Seriously, I don't recall seeing anything about it while roaming through the archives on the main site, and its not something I've heard about before. Any further information on it?

That would be beacause no information was ever released, officially.

Why, Todd Marshall and Patricia Drake, of course <G>
I don't understand the joke... why would Maniac and the CAG be politically influential?

Maniac and Drake are witnessess. In this context that gives them a small role to play politics. Though you'd think the fact that the bugs have launched two unprovoked attacks would speak for itself.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I don't understand the joke... why would Maniac and the CAG be politically influential?

... because it's not a joke? Prophecy Gold's Secret Ops manual talks about it.

Back