Confed Fleet Carriers as of 2667.175

Wolf Dog

Spaceman
As of 2667.175 there are supposed to be only 7 fleet carriers. First of all, does that number include only operational carriers, or is the Austerlitz included in that figure?

Fleet carriers that entered service before that date and are known to have been operational after it: Ark Royal, Austerlitz, Concordia, Liberty, Winterrowd*

Fleet carriers present for the Battle of Terra: Lexington, Leyte Gulf, Moskva, Saratoga, Verdun

Fleet carriers in Priv/WC3: Armageddon*, Hermes, Invincible, Kennedy*, Liberty, Lincoln*, Valiant*

The ships I have marked with * are indicated by some sources (Encyclopedia/Fleet Tactics) to be fleet carriers but, as far as I can recall, could be any type of warship. The encyclopedia notes the Winterrowd, Armageddon, Kennedy, and Lincoln as Concordia class but I was wondering what the basis for this is. Could not the Armageddon, Kennedy, and Lincoln be Gilgameshes like the Centurion? Also, how was the Valiant classified to be a destroyer (is dialog for all the Priv conversations online somewhere)? It would be helpful to have cited sources for each encyclopedia listing along with noting any speculation and associated rationale if applicable.

DISCLAIMER: My WC books are currently multiple states away, so I've been relying solely on online sources.

Maybe the table format is off on my browser (Opera 7.5), but did Confed really not lose any fleet carriers for thirty years?

Trying to see what exact class of ship they are is in a grey area, there really is no confirmation nor denial so it could go either way.

I think the main point I'm really trying to say is that the most important thing about those ships are that they are carriers, rather then destroyers and such. For class names, worry about that for another time.

(and Wolfdog, the Centurion was a Waterloo)

Grimloc said:
Maybe the table format is off on my browser (Opera 7.5), but did Confed really not lose any fleet carriers for thirty years?

No, it's just that we don't know when ships were lost during that period, or how many. That's why the ship classes we know were being constructed during the time all have an upper bound rather than a solid number for totals.

Psych said:
Trying to see what exact class of ship they are is in a grey area

Not as much as you'd think. LOAF and I spent a day or two at one point going through all the incidents we could think of where we knew the number of total yards, and what ships were being made, and things. We were able to come up with how many yards were making which classes at what specific year within pretty close tolerances in a way that had consistent construction. It's possible that there are *more* ships being made during the period from the start of the war, up until WC2ish, but after that it's pretty solid.

TC said:
It's possible that there are *more* ships being made during the period from the start of the war, up until WC2ish, but after that it's pretty solid.

Which is why I don't feel comfortable trying to make speculations concerning the start of the war. I'd rather make speculations and work in an area that's "it can go either way" (for example, the ship class of a carrier mentioned in Victory Streak) rather then something that totally contradicts (Border World supercarrier and stealth battlecruisers).

TC said:
We were able to come up with how many yards were making which classes at what specific year within pretty close tolerances in a way that had consistent construction.

Is consistent construction to be expected though? Actually, how much information do we have about carrier shipyards? Are they multipurpose, or are the shipyards used to produce, say, Concordia class carriers, specifically designed for that purpose? (wish I had my books nearby!!!) Are shipyards used only for production, or for refits (both from damage or to integrate new technology and systems) as well. If there were a finite number of Concordia class shipyards, after the initial production they could be partially tied up with refits in addition to production, which would slow production per shipyard as more Concordia class carriers came online.

I'm sure questions like these have been answered, so I'll try not to bore with tones of questions. I guess I'm just a little overwhelmed with the wealth of information there and the classification of specific classes to specific ships in cases where I thought ambiguity existed. For instance, the Leyte Gulf being Jutland, was there some subtle information that pointed out it could not be a Concordia class carrier, or even a Lexington? Maybe it was explicitly stated and I missed it for all I know.

Information says that the Jutland-class carriers were named after sea battles. Battle of Leyte Gulf and the Battle of Trafalgar were sea battles.

psych said:
Information says that the Jutland-class carriers were named after sea battles. Battle of Leyte Gulf and the Battle of Trafalgar were sea battles.

Which definetly makes it a reasonable assumption, but, to play devils advocate, that doesn't mean that a Concordia class carrier couldn't be named after a sea battle. They have a tendency to be named after British ships, but a good deal of them are not as well.

You just proved my original point. There's a good justification why the Leyte Gulf could be a Jutland, but then again, there's no bad reason to explain why it shouldn't. It's a grey area, in which it can go either way.

That's why for the most part, the best thing to do is assume them as a carrier first, and then worry about ship-class later (I personally am not looking forward to countless debates, flames, posts, responses, and clashes concerning this).

Starkey said:
How was the St. Helens destroyed anyway?

There was a cutscene in SO that had a Vesuvius getting destroyed. The St. Helens was that ship.

Ah, cool. No, I think that is solid deduction, I guess I was just wondering if on some of those ships there was definitive class information. No arguments here, I was just wondering what was canon and what required filling in the gaps.

Wolf Dog said:
Is consistent construction to be expected though? ..... Are they multipurpose, or are the shipyards used to produce, say, Concordia class carriers, specifically designed for that purpose?

I believe it was stated in a book that it takes x amount of years to design a carrier then x amount of years fitting out the shipyard and training staff then x amount of years building a carrier. Think about it like current construction factories like cars or airplanes, the factory is designed to build that model. To change models you waste precious time retraining and retooling.

Jim

psych said:
There was a cutscene in SO that had a Vesuvius getting destroyed. The St. Helens was that ship.

Thanks, Psych, I started playing SO again two days ago so I´ll probably see that cutscene soon.

I don't remember any Vesuviuses in SO... which mission was it?

The Vesuvius wasn't in any of the missions... but it appeared in various cutscenes. I believe the sequence with the Mt. St. Helens being destroyed is the introduction to Episode 5 (Viral Legacy - Luyten System).

did each concordia-class vessle have a phase-transit cannon?

also, i noticed the "plasma weapon" of the midway was never mentioned
anywhere, what's the deal?

Mace said:
did each concordia-class vessle have a phase-transit cannon?

also, i noticed the "plasma weapon" of the midway was never mentioned
anywhere, what's the deal?

Its a big crystal thingie that blow things up in a cutscene. Then it was useless ever after. :(

Back