Concordia class

Calzone

Spaceman
Hello, i have a question about the Concordia class. I would like to know if it was a refitted Confederation class vessel or was it a complete new vessel which just get the name from this famous ship.

And what do you think, is the reason that the Concordia is such a famous ship. I meant, the Tigers Claw, the Victory and the Intrepid are all famous ships, but i realize that many fans loved the Concordia.

There've been three ships named Concordia in WC...

The TCS Concordia in the novel Action Stations. It's a Concordia class fleet carrier.

The TCS Concordia in the movie is a SuperCruiser.

The TCS Concordia in WC2 (and briefly in 3) is a Confederation class dreadnaught.

Originally posted by Calzone
Hello, i have a question about the Concordia class. I would like to know if it was a refitted Confederation class vessel or was it a complete new vessel which just get the name from this famous ship.

What are you actually asking here?

The WC2 Concordia was a Confederation Class Dreadnaught....it probably had refits at some point.....but why would be it a different ship?

I would like to know, what kind of ships the Concordia class is. Are they refitted Confederation class ships (the size would match) or are they a complete new design?

The Concordia class is the class with the nameship TCS Concordia. This is not the Concordia from WC2, it's the Concordia from Action Stations and it was destroyed at the begining of the war. The only connection between the Concordia class and the Confederation class is a similar interior layout.

The Concordia class is the carriers from WC4 -- it has nothing to do with the Concordia in WC2.

As I recal, the Conc. class in WC4 looked a *lot* like a ranger class. Was that just done to save time in production or are they meant to be similar classes in outside appearance?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
There've been three ships named Concordia in WC...

The TCS Concordia in the novel Action Stations. It's a Concordia class fleet carrier.

The TCS Concordia in the movie is a SuperCruiser.

The TCS Concordia in WC2 (and briefly in 3) is a Confederation class dreadnaught.

That´s like the 8th time you explain that in the last 2 months, LOAF... Maybe you should "stuck" this one...

Everything about Wing Commander is getting explained a lot. There are always new people coming to the Chat Zone and those new people rarely have new questions. We could stick every thread about such questions at the top, but that would be pointless (as well as space consuming).

Originally posted by t.c.cgi
As I recal, the Conc. class in WC4 looked a *lot* like a ranger class. Was that just done to save time in production or are they meant to be similar classes in outside appearance?

In the real world...they probably had a ship that worked and just stuck with it...

In the WC universe, both classes of ships are older (pre-war even). That may simply have been the way they made carriers back then (of course, the new Vesuvius looked like a big Ranger...but...bleh....)

That´s like the 8th time you explain that in the last 2 months, LOAF... Maybe you should "stuck" this one...

Sorry, when i want to ask a question again, i read every post before, because it could be that someone else have asked this question. :D :p

Originally posted by t.c.cgi
As I recall, the Concordia class in WC4 looked a *lot* like a Ranger class. Was that just done to save time in production or are they meant to be similar classes in outside appearance?
The model used in WC4 is the same as the model used in WC3. The Concordia class carrier is larger, but similar in shape, to the Ranger.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
...of course, the new Vesuvius looked like a big Ranger...
Sorry, but I think you need your eyes checked if you think the Vesuvius looks like a Ranger. :)

Originally posted by Wedge009

Sorry, but I think you need your eyes checked if you think the Vesuvius looks like a Ranger. :)

Pfft...I meant general shape...it has a big open flight deck and a protruding section top and bottom...

The Concordia and Ranger are NOT the same models...there are differences...they just look very similar....

It's just a way that Confed likes to design it's carriers. The US's aircraft carriers (and everyone else's for that matter) have looked realitivly the same ever since they began to make a carrier (as opposed to revamping an old ship). Which it makes sense in both Confed and any other navy that something that does the same task would have many the same features as previous models (carrier - large flight deck, large control island,etc).

Also, I think we had this conversation before, but I think Confed stuck with this design because it was alot more effecient. If you have a very linear design, it opens yourself up to more deadly torpedo attacks but it also, opens your firing field up (less guns to cover a certain area). Take the hades and the Ranger carriers. I believe the they were both about the same size, but it took about twice as many guns to cover the hades as it did the Ranger do to the designs.

C-ya

Originally posted by Viper61

Also, I think we had this conversation before, but I think Confed stuck with this design because it was alot more effecient. If you have a very linear design, it opens yourself up to more deadly torpedo attacks but it also, opens your firing field up (less guns to cover a certain area). Take the hades and the Ranger carriers. I believe the they were both about the same size, but it took about twice as many guns to cover the hades as it did the Ranger do to the designs.

C-ya

Well the ships like the Ranger and such, with their big open flight decks, the structural question also comes up (much like debates I often have with the Akira from Star Trek...)

Having a big hollow area in the middle of the ship is going to make it weaker when attacked. Of course, that doesn't matter so much in WC because they use proper carrier tactics. The carrier makes every attempt to stay out of battle, and let's it's fighters handle it.

I agree though, and thinking about it MOST true carriers we see in WC follow somewhere along the basic principle. The Ranger, Lexington, and Vesuvius all have that basic design principle. The Bengal sort of follows that, but it's also a strike carrier and as such is design to be able to handle ship-to-ship combat as well. The newer ships tend to go their own way though (Midway, Hades). The Midway never struck me as a terribly effective carrier though (with it's whole two launch tubes...)

The Midway never struck me as a terribly effective carrier though (with it's whole two launch tubes...)

The Midway has six launch tubes... the easiest place to see this is on the box, where they point right at you.

Back