codenames for DRT & flashpack

Joshua said:
The blackfuel camoflauges with the darkness & coldness of space. This is to avoid visual and infrared detection

so not only does it fuel your ship, it also blocks radar, shields your IFF transmissions, and deploys that screen you where talking about. That is a lot for a fuel. How does it do that inside a tank? Why can't confed continue to use hydrogen which lets them have (in theory) limitless fuel, ability to maneuver using the fuel scoops, and is cheap. I imagine that this blackfuel would be expensive.
jim

Just for the sake of argument, let's put Mr. Joshua's blackfeul in a Midway class carrier.

Maybe it's just me, but if I see a 1830 meter long area of blackness moving in front of me, I might suspect something was up.

Joshua said:
Actually, the blackfuel makes perfect sense. The blackfuel camoflauges with the darkness & coldness of space. This is to avoid visual and infrared detection -- this would prevent heat seekers from hitting objects that use blackfuel. Also, I think a person could easily spot a spaceship several kilometers away if it was using normal fuel for movement, but it wouldn't if it was using blackfuel.

You've got scoop fields to maneuver, IFFs to broadcast that you're NOT an enemy fighter to people on your side, shields which REFLECT active sensor readings, ditto your hull, etc. How does Blackfuel stop all this? We don't spot ships from kilometers away by their ENGINE EXHAUST, as I've pointed out before - we use a combination of active and passive sensors to locate and fire on targets.

So how does a blackfuel engine help? If you just squirt it out the back, fine - but how do you increase propulsion, how do you stop, and what happens when the fuel runs out? The reason they use ion engines and similar for fighters is because they're powered from the reactors which provide you with gun and shield energy - the afterburners have limited fuel because they're burning reserves to boost your speed, while the main engines' power source runs off of the hydrogen collected by the scoops.

Besides which, your ship's already radiating infrared radiation, by virtue of not being empty space; between the hull, the life support systems keeping your cockpit warm, and your reactors, plus the guns and the other matter, it's NOT the same temperature anyways. There's also the problem of infrared tracking being relatively useless beyond a rather short range, which renders the point rather moot.

Man, at least think your ideas through and look at Wing Commander for the ship technology instead of your own made-up game, huh?

Posts like the one you just made indicate why people consider you a stupid fool - too stupid to read, too foolish to think your ideas through the initial 'whoa, cool' stage.

t.c.cgi said:
George Washington gives Joshua an A for his stupid foolishness, but an F for his repitition.

General George Washington is currently pulling himself out of his grave to march towards Joshua's house as we speak. To whip out the Dragon's Johnson.

Joshua said:
Actually, the blackfuel makes perfect sense. The blackfuel camoflauges with the darkness & coldness of space. This is to avoid visual and infrared detection -- this would prevent heat seekers from hitting objects that use blackfuel. Also, I think a person could easily spot a spaceship several kilometers away if it was using normal fuel for movement, but it wouldn't if it was using blackfuel.

I can't remember where I got this (maybe it was Lehah?), but I couldn't pass this one up.

Click here

Battletech is an existing game for sure, but 99% of it's tech has got nothing to do at all with WC.

The whole military paradigm is entirely diferent. NARC Beacons make a lot more sense, and EVEN then they are useful only in MP games. Sometimes.

As Haesslich has shown above, Blackfuel doesn't even apply to the WCU, it's like saying it can be used by fighters in a F-22 game.

Da

From what I've observed, fighters & ships can be visually spotted before they come within sensor range. Thus the blackfuel would be effective. The blackfuel increases and decreases propulsion similar to the space shuttle. Do you know how the fuel for a space shuttle works? Fuel exits out of the space shuttle's combustion chambers through the exhaust nozzles. The opposite and equal reaction is the space shuttle moving forward. To deaccelerate the space shuttle, it simply makes a U turn and then expends an amount of thrust equal to the thrust it already spent. No, the blackfuel does not deploy the screen, block radar, or shield IFF transmissions.

Joshua said:
Do you know how the fuel for a space shuttle works? Fuel exits out of the space shuttle's combustion chambers through the exhaust nozzles. The opposite and equal reaction is the space shuttle moving forward. To deaccelerate the space shuttle, it simply makes a U turn and then expends an amount of thrust equal to the thrust it already spent.

Now, my question is, do you know how the fuel for a space shuttle works?

Joshua said:
From what I've observed, fighters & ships can be visually spotted before they come within sensor range.

So the point behind the sensors is what? :rolleyes:

I'm not too sure what the range of the WC sensors are but it is at least (IIRC) 12000m or 120 kilometers or for us Americans somewhere around 50 Miles. So your eyesight is so good, you can make out a tiny speck (which is what a 15 meter ship would look like at one mile never mind 50) in the midsts of billions of other tiny specks (stars) with little or no light source of its own, just reflections from any nearby light source. Pardon my french but the only chance in hell of you seeing your target prior to sensors picking them up, is if you don't have sensors. Try looking into the night sky, or the day one for all I care, and pick out a satelite. Now watch it cross the sky, and oh by the way plot an intercept point so you can shoot it down. That satelite is not that far away. What do you mean you can't do it. Oh yeah, NASA started to use blackfuel....

Jim

p.s. the shuttle expels a gas for moving such as co2, they can do that because there is no friction or resistence. The fuel used for the engines is water, yes water. Through electrolosys (sp?) the oxygen and hydrogen are seperated giving the crew oxygen to breathe and hydrogen for fuel.

I bet I can think of at least one person who is thanking his lucky stars (and a few deities, I'm sure) for the appearance of Joshua.

Sylvester.

Heat's off of ya, now, ain't it, boy? Feels nice, eh?

Joshua said:
From what I've observed, fighters & ships can be visually spotted before they come within sensor range. Thus the blackfuel would be effective. The blackfuel increases and decreases propulsion similar to the space shuttle. Do you know how the fuel for a space shuttle works? Fuel exits out of the space shuttle's combustion chambers through the exhaust nozzles. The opposite and equal reaction is the space shuttle moving forward. To deaccelerate the space shuttle, it simply makes a U turn and then expends an amount of thrust equal to the thrust it already spent. No, the blackfuel does not deploy the screen, block radar, or shield IFF transmissions.

The Space Shuttle uses onboard LOX and fuel supplies for reaction drives that propel the craft along - in other words, it burns liquid hydrogen and oxygen to generate thrust, by liberating that chemical energy into something that can send the shuttle cruising along in orbit. Acceleration and deceleration both involve using the engines to burn fuel, which generates the thrust needed to move that brick along. It doesn't just squirt gas out the back - that doesn't provide nearly the same amount of kinetic energy that burning it does.

Fighters and sensors show up on your radar LONG before they show up visually, if you haven't noticed - which you would have, if you'd played the games. Blackfuel, if you're shooting it out the back, is only going to give you minimum thrust unless you create some reaction by which you release any energy it contains. While you CAN push a body along in space by shooting nitrogen gas out of a can, you tend to go a lot faster if said body is strapped onto a rocket, as that combustion reaction releases the energy in the fuel AND pushes things along much more quickly than your simple release of gaseous N will.

Being blunt, we get better speeds and range from our current fighter-based systems. That blackfuel is a limited supply, doesn't provide much thrust given its usage (throwing it out the back), and doesn't block sensors from detecting us anyways (the active scans pick you up right off, and the IFF broadcasts along with the scoop field's EM signatures reveal your position unless you're using a cloak).

Now do you understand why people call you a stupid fool? You keep repeating the same thing, again and again, without any comprehension of the meaning of your statements... or the contradictions. Instead you throw around terms you don't understand, like 'space shuttle', 'attractor missile' and 'blackfuel'. Hell, at least make up an ORIGINAL name, and one that hasn't been used on Star Trek/Star Wars/Babylon 5/Lost In Space/Battlestar Galactica/Futurama/Simpsons, eh?

Bandit LOAF said:
Ships will appear on sensors long before they can be spotted by the naked eye.

It appears Joshua doesn't believe in radar.

I want to see his 'blackfuel' propelled ship go up against a Vampire. That low-velocity, low-thrust pig of a craft would only get torn up by ERLIRs if someone was feeling merciful. Otherwise, I can see them coasting over and then frying him with engine exhaust. :D

Back