Cobra as traitor...

I didnt say he HAD intentions to betray the Confederation. I said, that he may have been pressured into doing that after contact from Kilrah.

RFB

The crew of Hobbes' Fralthi did *not* defect willingly... read Freedom Flight for the details.

The Kilrathi on Ghorah Khar (and the other worlds) rebelled against the empire... they sided with Confed because they needed weapons, *not* because they supported the war.

There were other defectors, though...

Originally posted by RFBurns
I didnt say he HAD intentions to betray the Confederation. I said, that he may have been pressured into doing that after contact from Kilrah.
RFB
OK, sorry I misunderstood you. But I don't think this is the reason. His Ralgha personality just acted as any other normal Kilrathi would do I guess: Try to serve the Empire the best way possible.

You know, I wondered what it was that set Hobbes off like that. I mean, he seemed very loyal to Confed and his fellow officers and pilots. He seemed very devoted to his reasons for defecting. I still wonder what it was that Kilrah said to him or what it was that made him do what he did. Thats why I mentioned maybe it was threats to his family back on Kilrah or something.

RFB

Err... Hobbes was a personality overlay -- his loyal-to-humans persona was something fake created by Thrakhath years and years ago to infiltrate our fleet with... when Thrakhath said the key-word "Heart of the Tiger" over that comm broadcast, Hobbes' original personality and orders resurfaced.

You know I get the impression that you don not own the WC3 novel and did not watch the missing Hobbes scene from the CIC files ;) (no offense intended)

The Kilrathi that came to Confed in SM2 was a dormant spy. He was Ralgha nar Hhallas, loyal Kilrathi. Then the personality of Hobbes was engineered and made his overlay personality. This Hobbes personality defected to Confed, fought for it for over 10 years and then, when Prince Thrakhath saw it as fitting time, his Ralgha personality was activated. As a loyal Kilrathi, he carried out the orders of his prince. No threats were needed to make him turn traitor. IMHO he wasn't betraying anybody, since *Ralgha* never sore allegiance to Confed.

HOBBES was loyal to Confed, but Hobbes was a construct; he was a separate personality overlaid on top of Ralgha's. Hobbes and Ralgha were really two different people. Ralgha was loyal only to the Emperor. Confed was his enemy. Once the trigger was sent, Hobbes ceased to exist. Hobbes was dead long before Ralgha died over Kilrah.

Burns, unfortunately he had no choice in the matter. He was programmed to betray the confederation when Thrak said the words "Heart of the Tiger".

Anyone else wonder why he was still piloting that T-Bolt in Kilrah's orbit? You'd think since he single handedly brought about the destruction of the behemoth they would at least reward him with the command of a cruiser or something.

Like a dormant command or something. Interesting! Almost like he was pre-programmed or something and all it took was a few words to "activiate" his previous devotion to Kilrah. It just seems awfully strange to see him standing there with his paw on Blair saying "I am your friend". Not those exact words, then WHAM! Emergency on the flight deck! No I dont have the novels nor all of the missing scenes from the game. But just from the games themselves, to me it is still amazing how in all that time, all it took were the words, "Heart of the Tiger" to set him off.

RFB

[Edited by RFBurns on 04-30-2001 at 18:32]

Burns, that's exactly what an overlay is, a very interesting yet frightning form of mind control.

Originally posted by RFBurns
Like a dormant command or something. Interesting! Almost like he was pre-programmed or something and all it took was a few words to "activiate" his previous devotion to Kilrah. It just seems awfully strange to see him standing there with his paw on Blair saying "I am your friend".
Ah, yes - one of the best scenes in the entire game, the Hobbes goodbye scene. "No one... will ever truly understand me."
You must understand, Hobbes always considered Blair a friend, even after the trigger. Transmitting info about the Behemoth, killing Cobra - it was war, so all those things were a part of the game (though he did feel bad about betraying Blair, as you can see in the missing explanation scene).

What lessened the pain a little bit. But when I first played it without the explanation I really felt betrayed...

Guys,

I hate to burst your bubble but overlay or not, the Hobbes personality was very real. Remember in WC2 how upset he was when Downtown was killed. Also remember that it was Downtown that Hobbes saved as a child from the Kilrathi. I don't think we can just dismiss Hobbes as an instant traitor. I always felt that my Wingmen Hobbes died when that comm line came through, and Thrakhath was the one that killed him, not me. Oh sure I shot down his thunderbolt over Kilrah but that wasn't Hobbes that was Ralga. No different from killing any other Kilrathi ace.

Originally posted by Excelsis
Guys,

I hate to burst your bubble but overlay or not, the Hobbes personality was very real. Remember in WC2 how upset he was when Downtown was killed. Also remember that it was Downtown that Hobbes saved as a child from the Kilrathi. I don't think we can just dismiss Hobbes as an instant traitor. I always felt that my Wingmen Hobbes died when that comm line came through, and Thrakhath was the one that killed him, not me. Oh sure I shot down his thunderbolt over Kilrah but that wasn't Hobbes that was Ralga. No different from killing any other Kilrathi ace.

That's a damn good point!!! As Hobbes said on his comunique for Blair. He never got Ralgha nar Hallas to know. His personality was overlaid (I hope this is the right form, I'm Austrian) by another personality, and this personality was the Hobbes we know from WC II and the first half of WC III.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
What lessened the pain a little bit. But when I first played it without the explanation I really felt betrayed...

I dont have these "explanations" or missing scenes just yet, but I see what this is all about. Like you Mekt, it felt like being stabbed in the back after playing it the first round.

I think some here are getting the wrong impression from me. I actually liked Hobbes. I thought it was neat having a Kilrathi in Confed back in WCII. Then all that happens in WCIII. Its still hard to believe that after all that time in Confed, a mere few words changed him completely.

RFB

Back