Cobra as traitor...

Hm..I just automatically assumed it was Hobbes it the traitor from when you found out there was a traitor. Although WC3 was the first WC game I played, so I didn't really have the background with Hobbes to think otherwise. I saw him as one of the enemy and when the talk of a traitor came up, he seemed the logical choice.

You disliked Hobbes in WC3? The only capable wingman who doesn't question your authority and the only one who is not constantly annyoing? even if you don't know his previous story, I find that hard to believ.
Vagabond was ok too, though...

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 04-29-2001 at 10:39]

I thought it was good that Hobbes was the traitor and WC3 was the first WC game i had played. at first I thought that the traitor couldnt be hobbes because that would be too obvious and that it was probably cobra (because she would have been less likely) putting on an act that she hated kats so much. not only that, the amount of trust blair had in him made me think hobbes wasnt the traitor. call me dumb, but i was surprised that it was hobbes.... and felt betrayed because i always stuck up for him! i thought the others were just being prejudiced!

I think that to make Hobbes a traitor was soooooooo cheap..
heheheh
Origin Office:
KIlrathi Vs Cobra , what we choose to be the bad ???

Cheap? They spend two games building up to it... it's the *opposite* of cheap. Cheap would be doing the *obvious* thing, like making Cobra the traitor because she hates Hobbes even though he's good, and we should all just get along!

Well it is your opinion ;)
you know (with facts)if they make Hobbes exclusively to make the traitor in a game that they will make 3 or 4 years after WC1

And... is the only kilrathi in the ship......

They have claimed they did -- much like they introduced Jazz only to later have him be a traitor.

Regardless, it's *not* cheap to use an established character for something like that... it's the opposite of cheap, because so much time has been invested on said character.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
They have claimed they did -- much like they introduced Jazz only to later have him be a traitor.

Regardless, it's *not* cheap to use an established character for something like that... it's the opposite of cheap, because so much time has been invested on said character.

Well... if they said so. (i thinked that was a cliche, let the tiger be the traitor)
You are right !!!!!
You are my WCHERO LOAF !!!!!

Originally posted by NoRemorse

The slowest chat room in the world ! :)

arf, you're right, guy. Please don't use it as a chat room... [/B]

Not to get defensive guys, but the only reason we treated it like a chat room was because only, as far as I know, the three of us were on the board, so we treated it differently... sorry :(

Hey, I just got promoted again! My smily face is now happy. I would show it to you, but the board won't let me.

[Edited by Mav23 on 04-29-2001 at 14:16]

Originally posted by Mav23
well, what was "the trigger"?

Well, when Hobbes heard Thrakath saying "Hearth of the Tiger", the Hobbes alternate personality was released and he became a traitor.

That was the trigger, and the hypnosis works with something like that.

I think what really hurt about the betrayal, or rather, about the way it was presented, is that you are the ONLY one who supports Hobbes.

One would think that after a dozen years of loyal service to Confed that at least some of them would believe in his loyalty. I mean, he's got more Kat kills then most of them put together. Given the 'programing' story, there IS no traitor on board until after the Heart of the Tiger message, i.e. no reason to be suspicious of Hobbes or question his loyalty. The crew of the Concordia were more willing to believe Stingray was the traitor on board then cast doubt on Hobbes.

But no. EVERYBODY on the Victory hates him. Only Blair is willing to stick up for him. And then, when he does turn traitor, everybody was right and you are the only poor sucker who was wrong.

The fact that they cut the whole 'programming' explanation really rubs salt into the wound. It's like he's been laughing at you the whole game.

Eisen and Rachel supported Hobbes. Vagabond had no anamosity towards him. Maniac didnt like him only because he had taken his job, not anything to do with him being a Kilrathi.

Originally posted by AzraeL
One would think that after a dozen years of loyal service to Confed that at least some of them would believe in his loyalty. The crew of the Concordia were more willing to believe Stingray was the traitor on board then cast doubt on Hobbes.
Stingray was accused of being the traitor for good reason - an item that belonged to him had been found on the victim. As for Hobbes, there may very well have been more than a few people who thought it was him (including some players, I bet) - but who'd dare say anything? Remember Angel's reaction when you requested a human wingman? Presumably, her subordinates knew better than that ;).

The fact that they cut the whole 'programming' explanation really rubs salt into the wound. It's like he's been laughing at you the whole game.
On the contrary, it sorta lets you salvage some honour out of the situation. You know that you were in fact right - the Hobbes you knew was not a traitor. Of course, the Hobbes you knew apparently never existed, but that's another story :).

Perhaps Hobbes didnt intend to become a traitor, but only after his homeworld contacted him. Maybe he felt pressured by his former commanders or something. Maybe there were threats to his family back on Kilrah. Then again, it may have been a setup from day one, with no intention of really being on Confed's side, but to trick everyone into trusting him. He may have been one of the best pilots, but that was just a front, a cover. He was given every opportunity as any other pilot in Confed. He betrayed the trust. He betrayed the friendships he made. It almost looked like Blair was blaming himself for what happend to Cobra. Cobra tried to warn him. In that mission to Kilrah, first thing I targeted before going planetside, Hobbes was the first in line to be taken out!

RFB

[Edited by RFBurns on 04-30-2001 at 14:09]

I wonder if any other Kilrathi joined Confed, and if they were treated the same as terrans. Any thoughts on that?

I wonder if any other Kilrathi joined Confed, and if they were treated the same as terrans. Any thoughts on that?
Well probably all the Kilrathi that defected together with Hobbes, no? He did turn in a whole Fralthi didn't he?
Unless he was flying it all by himself ;), there must have been other Kilrathi willing to defect...

But yes, Hobbes was probably the only "famous" renegade...

In WCII, a whole planet and sector defects to Confed, according to the game anyway!

RFB

Originally posted by mpanty
Well probably all the Kilrathi that defected together with Hobbes, no? He did turn in a whole Fralthi didn't he?
Unless he was flying it all by himself ;), there must have been other Kilrathi willing to defect...

But yes, Hobbes was probably the only "famous" renegade... [/B]

Hmm, Hobbes killed most of (if not all) of the crew of the Ras Nik'ra. From FF I got the impression that only he and Kirha came to the Terrans. But it has been a long while since I read the novel.

And RFB: Hobbes never had the intention to betray the Confederation. But then again, he hadn't any choice, when his true personality (or his former personality or whatever) was activated he had to warn the Kilrathi.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 04-30-2001 at 17:49]

Back