Cloaking Station?

Delance said:
The writers don't differentiate the terms on WC2. Even on the intro they use ‘cloaking device’, ‘invisible fighters’ and ‘stealth technology’ to refer to the same thing. I didn’t have the time to check, but this probably continue during the game. Now, you can argue the semantics for the sake of retcon, but the game was not written with this in mind.

The thing is, there really isn't a need for them to differentiate the terms in WC2. All of these terms accurately describe a fighter with the ability to cloak.

what if it was just a mistake on the part of the team, forgetting that the ship can't cloak unless its power supply was in tact.

As far as anyone can tell, we never saw fighters that were invisible by sensors and visible by eye (like our current stealth planes). All stealth, cloacking and invisible fighters we have ever met in Wc are trully invisible.

It is obviously possible that "stealth as in 2005" might have ocurred in the Kilrathi war, but there is no evidence supporting it.

Edfilho said:
As far as anyone can tell, we never saw fighters that were invisible by sensors and visible by eye (like our current stealth planes). All stealth, cloacking and invisible fighters we have ever met in Wc are trully invisible.

It is obviously possible that "stealth as in 2005" might have ocurred in the Kilrathi war, but there is no evidence supporting it.

You need to watch WCA episode 11: "Invisible enemy" again closely. Unless you're like Paddybhoy. :(

The stealth fighter is clearly only painted black and remains dark even on the flight deck when the pilot is getting out of it.

Dahan said:
I am surprised that no stealth/cloak fighters or any sort was used in Prophecy

Cut from the game due to budget issues.

And, besides, from the ICIS manual we already know that it's possible the bugs can see through cloaks, as of the 7 cloaking recon Excaliburs that were sent in to investigate, only the last, flown by Maj. Washington, made it out; the others were lost and presumed destroyed.

Not to mention that there is an audioclip where Stilletto tells maestro to cloack on the first mission, and he says that he's already cloaked. It was cut off, but can be considered kosher, like Hobbes' explanation

Ok I just want to clarify this. Stealth technology in modern termns means the ability to hide your self from detection. Modern technology involves the absorbtion and/or defelction of radio waves making you appear either invisible to radar, or reducing your radar cross-section so you appear alot smaller then you are. Ie you look a bird instead of an F-117. In the WC universe it is still the same meaning, just an extrpolation of todays tech into the next logical version. Thus instead of only being invisible to sensors, they are also invisible to the eye. So in WC2 when they call them stealth fighters, well they are. Cloaking is just a logical step in stealth technology.

That's pretty much what we are all saying here, Skippy. It's just that some people ar argueing that IN THE WCU they use stealth for one kind of tech and cloack for another tech.

No, they aren't - the Strakha in "Invisible Enemy" and the Confederation's Blackfish cloaking device are "sensor only" cloaks equivalent to modern stealth aircraft.

Cut from the game due to budget issues.

Well, cut from the game proper for "munch" issues -- a game where you can instantly hide wherever you want isn't fun. The explanation was cut due to engine/time restraints -- I'm sure they could have gotten the first mission 'cloak' had there been time enough.

Not to mention that there is an audioclip where Stilletto tells maestro to cloack on the first mission, and he says that he's already cloaked. It was cut off, but can be considered kosher, like Hobbes' explanation

The Hobbes' clip is "canon" because it shows up in other places: the novel and the console ports. If it'd been intentionally removed from the game, we'd have to argue that they were specifically trying to *not* have it be part of the Wing Commander continuity.

Hey LOAF.

Where does the the term Blackfish come from? I'm not familiar with it, or to which ships it refers.

Blackfish is referenced in the Victory Streak manual, where the fighter equipped with it was put on display at a combat competition of some kind (forget the details, offhand, and my copy of VS and my KS manual aren't available at the moment).

Back