Chris Roberts

Prydeless

Spaceman
So what's Chris Roberts up to these days? Is he still working on that American Knight movie and/or is he back to working on Flight Sims? Last thing I know of him for the latter was that he had a hand in Freelancer. Although he's only given special thanks in the manual.

He stopping making games several years ago. Even then, for a good eight years or so he's been a designer and movie director. That's what he likes to do now, and that's what he's been up to. He was executive producer for The Punisher earlier this year. As you can see from his IMDB listing, he's been quite busy in the movie business lately. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0730932/

That's not true. He's been very supportive of the CIC in the recent past, and complications with working with EA make him hesitant to work on another Wing Commander game for now.

Hey, what i'm saying is that he seems to have lost his intrest in computer games. :(
I'm not blaming him, he have had some trouble with gaming companies. My point was that he probably won't come back just to continue a game series that was already wrecked by prophecy.

Dyret said:
Hey, what i'm saying is that he seems to have lost his intrest in computer games. :(
I'm not blaming him, he have had some trouble with gaming companies. My point was that he probably won't come back just to continue a game series that was already wrecked by prophecy.

Don't troll. You have one post to make a cohesive point out of this crap or I will ban you.

That's one point total. You can't go to the word game and be the next guy to post 'the' and you can't go to the Privateer Remake forum and ask them how to buy a carrier. Your next CZ post must defend this stupid post with a logical point or you're gone. Understand?

i think the man would not leave his lifetime achievement: a game series actually featuring real actors still looked at as a masterpiece to this very day, alone...

but the wing commander movie did not live up to expectations, also by his own ideas, personally i thought the kilrathi from wc3 looked great, and i was expecting the plot to be a movie version of the original game maybe with some story elements from the secret missions as well.

he could do another game, but from the movie we saw i doubt there will ever be a wing commander II

I just don't see what people's problems with Prophecy are. It's a great game. In terms of gameplay, it's at the least one of the best in the series, and in my personal opinion, the best. The game engine is smooth, responsive, and beautiful, even if the past six years have gotten us used to far better looking things. All right, so the bug storyline wasn't all that great - but so what? Must everything be perfect for you to appreciate a game?

Thanks for the info. I'm saddened that he's no longer working on any games, and from what I gather it's because of his troubles with EA and Microsoft. The only Wing Commander game I have is IV on DVD and from the little I've played, I'm quite impressed. I hope he returns because I'm sure he's got a lot more to offer.

Chris is making movies because that's what he always wanted to do -- not because he's in any sort of trouble with a gaming publisher. It's a shame for us that he isn't making Wing Commander games right now, but he is living his dream; we should be happy for him.

Bandit LOAF said:
Don't troll. You have one post to make a cohesive point out of this crap or I will ban you.

That's one point total. You can't go to the word game and be the next guy to post 'the' and you can't go to the Privateer Remake forum and ask them how to buy a carrier. Your next CZ post must defend this stupid post with a logical point or you're gone. Understand?

Since you mentioned the Privateer Remake, and I don't think that Dyret is doing anything with that, I will explain my last post just in case you're talking about me. All I meant was that Prophecy departed from Wing Commander in some ways, (can't pick your own ship, loadout, Blair gets killed(?), can't take off and land on your own, etc.) while the same features, in some ways, go back to the originals. All this is confusing to some, and annoying to others, like me, because I like to pick my own ship, loadout, and take off and land on my own. The reason why I say "It didn't help" is because once the game series headed in one direction it should have continued heading in that direction instead of going backwards.

I didn't mean to upset you, if I did.

Bandit LOAF said:
Chris is making movies because that's what he always wanted to do -- not because he's in any sort of trouble with a gaming publisher.
Pardon, I didn't mean to imply in my previous post that he's only doing movies because of his experiences with the publishers.

Perhaps not, but surely his experience with Wing Commander 3 and 4 had to whet his appetite some...

Since you mentioned the Privateer Remake, and I don't think that Dyret is doing anything with that, I will explain my last post just in case you're talking about me. All I meant was that Prophecy departed from Wing Commander in some ways, (can't pick your own ship, loadout, Blair gets killed(?), can't take off and land on your own, etc.) while the same features, in some ways, go back to the originals. All this is confusing to some, and annoying to others, like me, because I like to pick my own ship, loadout, and take off and land on my own. The reason why I say "It didn't help" is because once the game series headed in one direction it should have continued heading in that direction instead of going backwards.

I didn't mean to upset you, if I did.

Sorry, I was referring to Dyret, not you.

I don't think any of that had anything to do with how Prophecy sold or its effect on Chris Roberts, though.

Quarto said:
I just don't see what people's problems with Prophecy are. It's a great game. In terms of gameplay, it's at the least one of the best in the series, and in my personal opinion, the best. The game engine is smooth, responsive, and beautiful, even if the past six years have gotten us used to far better looking things. All right, so the bug storyline wasn't all that great - but so what? Must everything be perfect for you to appreciate a game?

Well said....

Ridgerunner said:
...All I meant was that Prophecy departed from Wing Commander in some ways, (can't pick your own ship, loadout, Blair gets killed(?), can't take off and land on your own, etc.)...
Actually, you can land on your own... and taking off is a bit of a null point, because of the launcher(gets you off the line faster, and gets you into the fight... plus, if you kill your engines, you can coast at 6000 kps.) :D

Bandit LOAF said:
Sorry, I was referring to Dyret, not you.

I don't think any of that had anything to do with how Prophecy sold or its effect on Chris Roberts, though.

Quite alright, no problem. I don't think it did, either.

Back