CD swaping horror is back!

Karthik@KANE

Spaceman
Enter the Matrix will come in 6CDs.......deja vu anyone? It's just like WC4. But the reason it's on 6 CDs is because of the 1 hour of MPEG2 compression!

I guess it's time to embrace DVD for PC gamers.

Better be high quality then... knowing MPEG2, there are a variety of bitrates you can choose (and you can usually fit 30 minutes on a single CD... decent quality).

Then again, they could've used a lousy encoder that takes way more bits to generate something of higher quality (it's a selling point - after all, MPEG2 encoders range in price from $30-$30K+ easy...)

Originally posted by Karthik@KANE
Enter the Matrix will come in 6CDs.......deja vu anyone? It's just like WC4. But the reason it's on 6 CDs is because of the 1 hour of MPEG2 compression!
I guess it's time to embrace DVD for PC gamers.

AFAIK the Matrix game is also released as a single DVD version, so it is really a matter of masochism if you buy the CD version (and you got a DVD drive)

Well, WC2 came in a lot of disks, too. But you had to install them all, so there was not a lot os swapping during play.

You can get an Amiga emulator. You'll need the Kickstart ROMs, but you can buy those quite legally, so it's no problem.

Originally posted by Quarto
You can get an Amiga emulator. You'll need the Kickstart ROMs, but you can buy those quite legally, so it's no problem.
The emulation is still dodgy. Damn I miss playing my copy of Capital Punishment on my cousins Amiga. 10 bucks down the drain:( !

CFF, I thought that the DVD will only be for the console version?

AFAIK also PC, but I really don't follow it too closely.

BTW: To stay on topic of WC: I 'fondly' remember to switch disks 3 times only to get the error message "not enough memory" in Wing Commander 1, playing it from disks on the school PCs...

Don't worry it's 100% rumour!

Well, they're making a big deal about launching the game the same day as the movie here.. So if they plan to make a DVD version they'd better put it together quick.

After being to many game webstores, and even hitting the dev and publisher websites, I've seen nothing of a PC DVD version, only the 6 CD one. EB, however, does offer a "bonus DVD" with preorder. It could be that someone somewhere mistook this to mean the game was on DVD, and thus started the rumor.

Unless there is some sort of super secret conspiracy to not make a DVD version public knowledge just so a handful of people may own a copy of such a no-disk-swap game. Which, knowing how some people around here think, that is exactly the case for all intents and purposes.

I don't know anything about The Matrix game, but here's my take on the situation. There will be a DVD version. These days, with a 6 CD game, you can be pretty sure of that. But it is definitely not going to be released immediately. It will be done the way it is with movie DVDs. First the ordinary edition comes, and everybody buys it. *Then* comes the super-special edition that has something everybody wanted in the first place but didn't get with the original edition.

In short, they'll wait for you to buy the CD version, and then they'll release the DVD version.

Originally posted by Quarto
I don't know anything about The Matrix game, but here's my take on the situation. There will be a DVD version. These days, with a 6 CD game, you can be pretty sure of that. But it is definitely not going to be released immediately. It will be done the way it is with movie DVDs. First the ordinary edition comes, and everybody buys it. *Then* comes the super-special edition that has something everybody wanted in the first place but didn't get with the original edition.
In short, they'll wait for you to buy the CD version, and then they'll release the DVD version.

Hopefully they'll have the balls to release it without bundling it with a peripharal! WC4 anyone?

They didn't really have a choice for WCIV -- there was no standard for playing DVD movies on the PC when it came out...

Back