CD swaping horror is back!

Originally posted by Karthik@KANE
You mean they couldn't support software mode?

Alrighty...

1. Software decoding wasn't incredibly impressive circa 1998
  2. There would be no reason to write a software decoder for something distributed with a hardware decoder card
  3. There was no standard interface or API for software DVD decoding, therefore there would be no way to interface with any third party software program the user may have
    [/list=1]

Basically it comes down to the fact that there was no interface standard to program to, so the game was created to work with the hardware it was distributed with, which makes perfect sense.

Originally posted by Quarto
I don't know anything about The Matrix game, but here's my take on the situation. There will be a DVD version. These days, with a 6 CD game, you can be pretty sure of that. But it is definitely not going to be released immediately. It will be done the way it is with movie DVDs. First the ordinary edition comes, and everybody buys it. *Then* comes the super-special edition that has something everybody wanted in the first place but didn't get with the original edition.

In short, they'll wait for you to buy the CD version, and then they'll release the DVD version.

That happens with DVD movies that start out at $20, but not for $50 PC games. What few (and by few, I mean you can count them on one hand) that have done that have been flops.

Mark Day was really nice about trying to help, within reason, though... He's given suggestions and ideas to look at in the past. Unfortunately, none have ever really panned out.

Takes a little work, but it's doable.

The functions the DLL exports are publically available - after all, the OS needs to know about it so it can link that DLL into the application.

So you've got the function names, next comes the task of finding out what it does.

Of course, the real problem is that it does work somewhat OK with a software decoder (I had it running with WinDVD - but the movie endings never were reported correctly. So you can only see one clip...).

Would've been nice to get it working on a modern system though!

Wanna upadte u guys on ENter the Matrix. The Gamecube version is using a custom modified DIVX format for the cutscenes, can't confirm it for the PC and other consoles though!

To worf;
Is it possible to play the cutscenes without playing the game? You know, like in other WC games we use HCL viewer to see the cinematics!

To worf;
Is it possible to play the cutscenes without playing the game? You know, like in other WC games we use HCL viewer to see the cinematics! [/B]

On the DVD version, yes!

They are in standard DVD VOB format, and any PC DVD player should be able to play them. I used WinDVD, which played each scene perfectly. In fact, the CIC has a listing of files to scenes to help figure out what happens when.

It won't work in a DVD player because not all the files are there, but anything that can play a VOB will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back