Catscratch's death in WC 4

ck9791

Rear Admiral
I had just recieved the PC version of WC4 in the mail a couple days ago, and i have been watching the cutscenes using the viewer i downloaded from the CIC. I have played the PSX version of WC4 but never the PC version.

While watching the cutscenes, i saw Catscratch's funeral for the first time, along with the scene where Blair talks to Sosa and she reveals that she had a thing for him and tells Blair to go away.

In the PSX version, you are given a choice to go and save Catscratch, which i always do. In doing so, he ejects and you tractor in his ejectpod and return to the intrepid. Once you land there's a humorous scene where maniac is criticizing Catscratch for not performing the maneuver of firing some missiles over the enemy's head properly.

I haven't seen this scene will looking through the PC version. So i was wondering, it impossible to prevent Catscratch's death in the PC version? Or am i just missing something.

I've seen the Funeral Scene in the PSX Version, Once I didn't go save him and he died,and Sosa slagged me off over the comms.

Just because you choose the right thing to do all the time doesn't mean the game doesn't have a fully fleshed out "wrong way" either. It adds replayability IMO.

I'd just always chose to save catscratch because it felt like the right thing to do. Similar to not using the flashpak on the Ella Superbase.

Over the last couple of days i had been simply watching the movie cutscenes of WC4 using the movie viewer, not playing the game, and so i saw Catscratch's funeral for the first time, and the scene with Sosa where she is crying and basically said that she was in love with Catscratch. But i didn't see the scene that i usually see in the PSX version, where after saving Catscratch, Blair chews him and Maniac out on the flight deck.

And i was just wondering if the story was a little different there, but it sounds like its not. Thanks for answering my question.

The first time I played, I reluctantly saved Catscratch. It always irked me that I had to save the little shit or have Sosa angry with me. I was also kinda peeved that you never see him again after that mission.

Was that the only consequence of not saving Catscratch? Its almost tempting to let him die after going from idolising Bliar to idolising Maniac, but then Blair wouldnt be the hero he is.

Originally posted by LeHah
The first time I played, I reluctantly saved Catscratch. It always irked me that I had to save the little shit or have Sosa angry with me. I was also kinda peeved that you never see him again after that mission.

Yeah, the first time, i almost chose to go on with the mission, thinking the mission is more important than one pilot. But then for some reason i decided that i still should go and save him. And every time through afterwards i've always chosen to save him, without thinking about it.

Somewhat related question. When Dekker asks you if you want to save catrscrash on the MIB, where does that expression he uses come from? What was that anyway?

"Is the mission 86'd?" or something like that. I always assumed it was an American expression. Or is it supposed to refer to the year some significant event happened?

There is an expression to "86 something" which is basically to "get rid of" or cancel. im pretty sure. I never really thought about it before

From here, it has apparently two meanings - first is something is not available, the second to get rid of something (a side effect of having the bar say they don't have what you want). It really is an American expression, but it's an old one that dates back to Prohibition.

I first heard it working as a cook in a restaurant, which is how I supported myself thru college, as in

"Hey, Logan, 86 that order of lasagne, will ya?...

Originally posted by Supdon3
Was that the only consequence of not saving Catscratch? Its almost tempting to let him die after going from idolising Bliar to idolising Maniac, but then Blair wouldnt be the hero he is.

Yeah, Catscratch was a little annoying punk. Whenever you correct him, he always gives like a a sad puppy face, "Yes sir." Even when you say something good. Every time I'm like just shut up.

A more modern use of "86".

Get Smart.

Agent 86. I'm pretty sure that was the designation.

One of my old bosses has the same model Tiger Sunbeam that "Get Smart" use to feature. I drove it twice, sucker screamed on the highway.

Originally posted by SyyBorg
wasnt agent 86 the one you never saw?

No Maxwell Smart was agent 86 (I was actually going to post something about that, but I saw it at the end of the link Worf posted, os I thought it was a moot point. Guess I was wrong.), his partner/wife was Agent 99 and the guy you never saw (well he was too tall to see his face) actually had a name didn't he? Hime or something like that. I loved get smart growing up. It was a kick to watch get smart on TV land and watch Inspector Gadget on Nick in my younger years (double dose of Don Adams :))

C-ya

actually 86 was at one time (and may still be) a code for NYPD for dead person. it evolved from there to mean kill or dead in many other police and emergency systems.
jim

Back