Catching Up With Saga - GamePlay Complete! (January 30, 2012)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
WC Saga hit an important milestone recently - it went gameplay complete, meaning that it's completely playable - but not yet perfected. The team is going back now to revamp their Prologue demo and continue bug hunting. Here's some new screenshots and their announcement:

We have reached an important milestone that has been a very long time in the making. All 50 of the missions in the main campaign are now finalized; The Darkest Dawn is now complete! We still have a bit of work ahead of us before Saga is ready to launch. We are currently working on significantly updating the missions of the prologue campaign (with updated game play, improved missions, refined dialogue, more characters in game, and a few other things to bring it up to par with the main campaign) which will be included as a small, introductory campaign in the full Saga package. We are going through our final rounds of beta tests, making sure everything is fully polished and as bug-free as possible for launch.

Keep your eyes open for a release date announcement soon!

--
Original update published on January 30, 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
By the time this gets finished (if ever) Duke Nukem Forever would have been released three times,

Saga is going into it's twelfth year now. It was seven years from the release of Unknown Enemy to Standoff Episode 5. So it has actually been more than Standoff and then half another Standoff. But I'm sure if it's a tenth as good as Standoff was people won't care.

You also have to remember that the current iteration of Saga doesn't resemble the original game at all, which if I recall correctly was going to be set sometime around when Wing Commander IV took place and involve the Black Lance and Border Worlds (I think it was originally supposed to be called "Battlegroup Serpent"). They've been working on this version of the game since about 2005 I believe. So that's about seven years, which is the same as Standoff's development time.

I am looking forward to this game as I was to the original games, Unknown Enemy and Standoff.

Who cares how long it was in development??? It's a fan-made FREE game and it's coming this year. I think that's all what should matter for a Wing Commander fan!

By the time this gets finished (if ever) Duke Nukem Forever would have been released three times,

I see. And how much have you contributed to Saga's development?

Sorry. I'm not trying to start a flame war. I just hear this kind of "holy crap this has taken so long, you guys are such a pack of losers, why can't you work any faster" sort of message a lot with Starflight III's development. From a developer's standpoint, I'll tell you that all it does is irritate the few people who are working. SF3 had someone quit over one of those messages once; the lead coder at the time. So asking people who send these kinds of messages how much they've added to the project is kind of my default response any more.

At least Saga has actually had people working on it constantly over the last ten years (can't say that for SF3, so it's kinda justified in that case).

LeHah is actually a pretty active WingNut. We wouldn't have the Wing One soundtrack CD without him, and he was key to recovering the missing footage for the Wing Commander Academy DVD release.

I don't think anyone is saying that the wait means Saga will be a bad game... but they did go through a somewhat obnoxious "we're going to be out before Standoff finishes" phase, so it's a little bit funny realizing the game still isn't out three years later.

Eh, you actually might be hard pressed to find wingnuts that haven't contributed in some way to Saga. I know I wrote some generic pilot lines for them a while back and I believe LeHah actually recorded some lines for them before they decided they needed "professionals." So don't just assume our opinions are just pulled from thin air. They come from firsthand experience.

BS!

Standoff was also 10 years in development..

Speaking as a Standoff Team member....

It was, however Standoff released the project in episodes throughout the development cycle:

Episode 5 - August 2009
Episode 4 - September 2007
Episode 3 - January 2006
Episode 2 - August 2005
Episode 1 - December 2004

One thing that really bothers me here is that Standoff and Saga should not be discussed together in this manner. Standoff is done. Completed. Released. For 3 years. Its past has no bearing on Saga's future. LeHah was pointing out that this is not the first time we've heard this particular song and dance from saga. So please don't bring Standoff into a discussion it has no purpose being in.

Actually, I think I will bring Standoff into the discussion, Dund :). It's kind of an elephant in the middle of the room that nobody really wants to talk about - the race between Standoff and Saga. I think it's hugely important in explaining why Saga's still being worked on - and also, it's very important to explain that this wasn't a one-sided race. It wasn't Saga being obnoxious or arrogant - both sides really wanted to win, and I daresay that between me and Eder, the Standoff team definitely out-egoed the Saga guys.

It all started back in 2004, when winning the CIC's Fan Project of the Year award seemed like a matter of honor to us. UE had won it three years in a row, then Standoff co-won it in 2003... with Saga! The idea of Saga winning the 2004 award horrified us. And things weren't looking good. We were a couple of months away from completing our Prologue, and Saga had been making all kinds of news with their own Prologue campaign. More than us.

Admittedly, I always got the impression that Saga blatantly stole the idea of a separate Prologue release from us. We can see now, looking back, that episodic releases are not Saga's modus operandi, so releasing the Prologue seems inexplicable otherwise. But hey, maybe that's my arrogance talking.

Still, the point is - we really, really wanted to win that award, and we were worried that any day, Saga would announce a release date and win the award on the strength of that alone. It really, really felt like Saga would release either before the end of the year, or at the start of 2005. Eder and I talked about it for a bit, then we looked at our Prologue, what still needed to be done... and decided to risk everything. We decided to announce a release date that we thought we could make, but were really, really uncertain about. It was a desperate decision, and I can't see how it can be attributed to anything other than our crazy egos... but amazingly enough, it worked, and amazingly enough, it was actually a good thing for the community because we did release something.

Standoff didn't just win Fan Project of the Year - Standoff managed to make a release, on schedule. It wasn't easy, and we had problems right until the end, but we made it. Unfortunately, I get the impression that we also blew Saga out of the race at that point - with first place no longer being an option, it seems the Saga guys decided to concentrate on quality (either that, or they were still having lots of teething problems and were really good at not letting it show), and were no longer in a hurry.

We, meanwhile, were burning ahead with Episode Two. Because it was relatively the smallest episode, and also because we already had a lot of work done for it while working on the Prologue, we were able to comfortably release it in September 2005. Again, this was partially driven by the urge to keep winning that darned award - if we didn't have a 2005 release and Saga did (which seemed absolutely certain - I mean, not knowing what the Saga guys were up to, we were convinced they were right behind us), who knows how things would go?

So, we released Episode Two, and amazingly, managed to follow on with Episode Three in early 2006 (it goes without saying, this had been supposed to be a Christmas release, just like the Prologue). And Saga's Prologue still wasn't showing. It was obvious the Saga guys were no longer competing with us, and even after they did finally release their Prologue, we just didn't worry about them at all (this, by the way, was bad for us: that's one of the reasons why there was such a long gap between the last couple of episodes).

Now, I suspect that with every release of ours, the Saga guys saw less point in trying to release quickly, and more point in focussing on scope and quality. I think that's why they're still developing in 2012, with Standoff long-finished. And I very, very strongly praise them for it. Had Saga released their Prologue first, we'd probably still have tried to catch up, releasing our Prologue and trying to release the next episode before their main release - but had Saga released their Prologue and then followed up with a second episode before we could release anything, I would stop trying to catch up, and I would concentrate on trying to out-do them, to show that in the end, the wait was worth it. Of course, it didn't help that when they did finally release their Prologue, the reception was not that positive. They saw that there was still a lot they needed to do to make Saga feel more like a Wing Commander rather than a Freespace title.

And I think that with Saga, the wait for their final release really will be worth it. The impression I get is that they really took to heart the criticism from the Prologue. I also get the impression that they went overboard with expanding the scope and quality of their project, and that's what cost them so much time - Saga guys, just don't let me be wrong on this one :).

One final note - which can help explain both Saga's and Standoff's long development times. Time is your enemy when you're making a fan project. Time means new ideas and new possibilities. When PopsiclePete came up with the online scoreboard, towards the end of Episode Three (it was Three, right? I don't remember)... I was furious. The idea is fantastic, of course - I hated having it in Standoff. I was convinced the game would take longer because of it, and hey - I was right (in case somebody forgot: Standoff is not finished. We still have a patch to do that adds online scoreboard support to two final sim missions!). But we also could not just throw Pete's idea away - he'd spent a lot of time tinkering with it, and had we decided not to use it, he probably would have lost any kind of energy to work on the project. This happens time and again during development - somebody comes up with a new idea, everybody loves it, and you - being in charge - just wish you could have released the darn thing a week before this new idea came up. But in the end, Standoff is so much better for this, and Saga will be as well - and who cares if it's a couple of months or years later than planned? :)

To summarise: I don't think there was anything particularly obnoxious about what Saga was doing. I think they were just eager to show what they could do and win praise from the community - like us. It's only now, when I look back at this race being older by almost a decade that I am amazed both by how juvenile this kind of competition feels, and... by how incredibly useful it is as a motivator, and how much slower things go when that motivator is removed.

As one who has been following both projects since near the beginning, it's absolutely fantastic to see them coming to an end, and all that effort bear fruit into what looks to be two fantastic games.

At least they wont have to jump through any hoops for a mac release. :) For standoff, all I can say is wineskin is a freaking miracle.

I think if there's any frustration out there in regards to the length of time Saga's been in development, it comes from a couple places. First, the development doesn't seem as transparent. The team plays it close to their chest in their own corner. They're not here openly talking up how things are going, which is fine. That's their choice to make, and it won't matter after the game's released, but it just makes the project seem more distant. The Standoff team thinking that Saga was right on their heels in 2005 is a part of this. For all I can tell based on closely observing their progress for over a decade, they may be a few days or weeks away from release, or it could be months or years.

Secondly, it seems like we've heard some of these things before. You can go back through the news archives and find multiple announcements that voice acting is complete, multiple separate beta tests, multiple "final" art styles/designs, etc. They may well have started over from scratch in 2005, but the official line has been that the game is progressing well, is nearly complete and should be released soon for about half a dozen years. Quarto nailed it: if you don't have something that draws a deadline in front of you, you never stop coming up with more to do.

Remember that Saga delete the most of the work before 2005. I have from the Saga Team a lot of WC2 models, all the WC3 Models, WC4 Models and the Midway - all of the models are not in Saga. Scooby make all the models new. So a lot of work was for nothing.

As you perhaps know I want to make Operation Serpent, the Idea of the original Saga Campaign. This is also delete and you see a complete different campaign as the Saga Team want to make in 2005.

Sad for Lynx, Starman01 and other modders. Also a lot of voices are delete too...

Remember that Saga delete the most of the work before 2005. I have from the Saga Team a lot of WC2 models, all the WC3 Models, WC4 Models and the Midway - all of the models are not in Saga. Scooby make all the models new. So a lot of work was for nothing.
I think it must have happened before 2005 - closer to 2003, I believe. Remember, at the end of 2004, everyone thought the Prologue (which is new Saga, not old Saga) is close to release. I guess we could probably check the CIC news archives to find out the exact date - but the point is, this actually happened no more than a year after UE's release (prior to which, only Eder alone was working on Standoff). Besides, these model resets, they happen all the time - if you search through the CIC's news archives, you will find the very first Standoff screens were from 2000 or 2001, and nothing you see on them ended up in the final game.

There are two more things worth adding on the subject of Saga's development time and its relations with this community:

1. I know that over the years, a lot of very significant people on the Saga team have left the community - people like psych or Viper61 (the bastard! :( Squealer's role in Standoff is incomplete because he was voicing him - it's one of the few cases where we actually had to make cuts to the game). Heck, is Lynx and Starman around still? And there surely must have been others, just as we had a few losses on the Standoff team over the years. But this goes back to Chris' point - nobody ever heard about how this was affecting Saga.

2. Saga has, for many years, been conflicted with this community. I think both sides are to blame, but I don't really want to debate that. The thing is, the UE team also used to bicker with the CIC staff (heh, good times!), but we remained engaged in the community. We used the CIC for hosting, we used the forum. The Saga team seems to have ended up disengaging - sure, their website is hosted by the CIC, and sure, they have a forum... but they virtually do not use it. Occasionally, I drop by Saga's other forum, over at HLP, and I see they've got quite a bit of traffic over there, Tolwyn is posting all the time. It boggles the mind that he wouldn't at least cross-post announcements. And then, Saga is on Facebook, G+, etc... they are everywhere, but they are ostentatiously absent from here. It's really, remarkably weird, that a team working on a Wing Commander mod would pay more attention to the Freespace (engine) fan community than they do to the Wing Commander fan community.

You know, sarcastic comments about Saga have always bothered me, I always wished that we as a community could cut that nonsense - but it's a bit hard to tell people that they should be nicer in their comments about Saga when Saga itself has virtually turned its back on the Wing Commander community for the last half a decade (yes, it has been that long).

Dang, those are some informative posts about the history of Saga/Standoff development, some of those things I hadn't really noticed before. Most intriguing actually.

The thing is, the UE team also used to bicker with the CIC staff (heh, good times!)
Due out Summer '99!

We used the CIC for hosting, we used the forum. The Saga team seems to have ended up disengaging - sure, their website is hosted by the CIC, and sure, they have a forum... but they virtually do not use it. Occasionally, I drop by Saga's other forum, over at HLP, and I see they've got quite a bit of traffic over there, Tolwyn is posting all the time.
They left their Solsector hosting many years ago and are probably self-hosted. I think we still maintain a redirect to their new website. Their Crius forum came as part of the hosting package, but for the longest time their Hardlight board has been the best place to discuss the project.

I am very curious to see what kind of hosting solution they've worked out to distribute their game. For example, when we released Queeg's 700 meg WC3 movie a few years back, we pushed several hundred gigabytes in just the first 24 hours. The CIC has many terabytes worth of monthly bandwidth allowance, but that doesn't come cheap. The latest word is that WC Saga is in the 3.5 gigabyte range now, and it surely has a lot of fans anxious to download...

Well moddb/indiedb is an easy host for starters. That and the freespace community has their own methods. God knows how many teribites in traffic they have to deal with. My fs2 folder has almost 10 gigs of modded content, and it's all very commonly downloaded. So I don't think they are in any trouble there.

Though I say another mirror couldn't hurt. :) You all should get in contact with each other again. Give them a pat on the back, cheer them on, that sort of thing. Tolwyn always seemed like a reasonable guy, with a great sense of humor. Really weird that you all had a falling out.

Really weird that you all had a falling out.

Saga soured a lot of people when they attempted to strong-arm and intimidate other fanmods and projects several years ago. Its the reason I backed away from their project and the soapbox I place my first-hand opinion on.

Back