Carriers...

*laughs* You know, the fact that your all assuming that I actually condone this action, I find very amusing, misguided and really rather short-sighted, but amusing none-the-less.

I was saying, if you want clarification-which I'm sure people around here don't want, after all, it might make the quick jabs at my comments void-I was saying the shot (that is assuming it was accomplished folks, the action itself isn't the basis of my comment, it's the successful completion of said action) would be one of the most impressive I'd have ever seen. It's blatantly obvious that doing so would be risky and stupid (I mean, holy hell in a handbasket, no-one, even Maniac, would be that dumb to try it IRL), however, should someone have done so due to gross incompetance or a reason that logic cannot fathom, it would still have been extremely impressive-once again assuming it's success. (A good ground for a court-marshal, but impressive in any event.)

Originally posted by Penguin
BTW has anyone ever fired a missile through the hangar and blown up a Kilrathi fighter on the other end?

Good idea but I never tried that. Instead, when things get hot, I use the Kilrathi hangars as a hideout from the kats fighters, so I would show up on the other side, shields up, guns recharged and ready to kick some!:cool:

Really? I never gave that a shot, but if it works, that's amazing! I suppose I never really went and looked at the Kat capships close enough to see their launching bays. Maybe I'll have to try to use them as a hideout sometime!

Originally posted by Starkey

Good idea but I never tried that. Instead, when things get hot, I use the Kilrathi hangars as a hideout from the kats fighters, so I would show up on the other side, shields up, guns recharged and ready to kick some!:cool:

There's one problem with that though. If you enter the aft hanger bay and emerge from the front, you have to deal with the full frontal armament of a cap ship, in addition to the fighter complement (I have no clue what those yellow beams are<maybe plasma guns>, but they sure pack a hell of a punch when they all shoot at you at once!). You kindof leave your wingman out to dry too. :)

I'd assume that would depend on if you have the turrets cleared. (Else that barrage would tear you to pieces.) As for the Wingmen, well, not doing anything to them they don't do to me all the time. :) (Or maybe that's just Maniac. ;) )

Originally posted by Penguin
BTW has anyone ever fired a missile through the hangar and blown up a Kilrathi fighter on the other end?
This may have already been mentioned, but I love flying through carriers and blowing up all the Dralthi(?) lined up on the deck. Pity they don't count as kills...

I like doing that too. Also. Shooting the carrier from the inside is fun as well. Its funny when the Kilrathi fighters try to attack you, because they ram the carrier trying to get t o you.

Originally posted by Wedge009

This may have already been mentioned, but I love flying through carriers and blowing up all the Dralthi(?) lined up on the deck. Pity they don't count as kills...
Well, kill is when you destroy an enemy fighter in air or space, not when you destroy it when it lies helplessly on the deck. If you ask me, when you destroy anything that can't shoot back, I wouldn't count as a kill.
And those Dralthis probably don't have pilots in them...
But they are sure fun to destroy:D

Back to topic: If you read the novell "Fleet Action" you'll realize that it's nearly impossible to fly through the hangerbay of a carrier, because the shielding of its entrance has an IFF checker. You can pass the shielding if you send an kilrathi IFF code seconds befor you pass the shielding sys., otherwise they can remodulate the shield an your fighter will crash.

Originally posted by the__phoenix
Back to topic: If you read the novell "Fleet Action" you'll realize that it's nearly impossible to fly through the hangerbay of a carrier, because the shielding of its entrance has an IFF checker. You can pass the shielding if you send an kilrathi IFF code seconds befor you pass the shielding sys., otherwise they can remodulate the shield an your fighter will crash.

Only problem with that is the little fact that most of us here have done it on more than one occasion in WC3 and 4. Perhaps all of the carriers with IFF checkers were lost in Sol?

:p

Originally posted by Skybolt
...when you destroy anything that can't shoot back, I wouldn't count as a kill.
I agree. Just thought it might be interesting to know.

Nevertheless, turrets shoot back - they're not kills. ;) (I suppose one might argue that they're just onboard armament for the capship, like fixed guns on a fighter.)

Originally posted by Viper61
There's one problem with that though. If you enter the aft hanger bay and emerge from the front, you have to deal with the full frontal armament of a cap ship, in addition to the fighter complement (I have no clue what those yellow beams are<maybe plasma guns>, but they sure pack a hell of a punch when they all shoot at you at once.
AMGs perhaps? I figured that's what they were.

Yes, they're AMGs. 'Realistically', only a handful of shots from those should take you out (they certainly took a chunk of armour out of a fully shielded Broadsword in WC2), but of course this is 'only' a game...

And they do. I seem to recall that three hits would be enough to desroy an Arrow on Ace level in WC3...

An Arrow. The Confed fighter with the lightest defences... I'm sure something like that would be taken down in one shot in WC2. In case you're forgetting a Broadsword is a chunk of a bomber. ;)

Originally posted by the__phoenix

Then why did the Midway...?

'Why did the Midway have a pressurized landing bay that you crash into when you try to fly into it whereas carriers in WC3/4 had open bays that you could fly into?" is what I think he means.

Don't worry about it. Bob is just being Bob. He doesn't realize that in those games he carried the Confed IFF that allowed him to fly through the carrer hangerbays. He also didn't realize that the Midway's bays had only one openning each, and therefore he would of crashed anyway, either on the shields or on the "back" wall of the bay and causing major damage to the carrier and his fighter.

Back