Bush and Nukes?

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
Which makes me think...why doesn't someone comfirm that whoever threatens these actions has the ability to carry them out? I would have thought it to be Standered Operating Procedure, and it may already have, but it would weed out the, pardon the language here, cunts who can and would follow through with their threats and cunts who are just trying to take advantage of a fearful, post Sept. 11 world.
Why would they want to? Whipping up public fear has been a distinct feature of US and Australian policies in the past few months (in the US' case, ever since Sept. 11th, of course). It's easier to get things done when the people you lead are too scared to question your actions.

'Whipping up public fear has been a distinct feature of US and Australian policies in the past few months (in the US' case, ever since Sept. 11th, of course).'

Examples? In Australia, it is stressed that people should not worry about terrorism. I think the media plays a large part in this as well.

I see what you're saying, and I pretty much agree with it. About the only real thing to comment on is the idea kill thousands of them to save one of ours. It's not something that I entirely disagree with, but they are similar principles that terrorists base their acts on. Why did terrorists attack in Bali? In the hope to kill a few Australians. Why did terrorists try to strike in Israel and England? In the hopes that a few Americans would die. That's their motivation.

the terrorists did those things to kill people and only kill. their retoric says they are fighting for palistine or the muslim world or some other bullshit, but the primary reason is their leaders get hard over the idea that they have the power to kill. after they've killed they try to justify it with bullshit, but they are out only to kill. they can say they got pushed into killing to make their point, but look at Gandi(sp?) and Martin Luther King. they got what they wanted and didn't kill anyone. i'm saying if its the only way to save our people's lives and get the job done, fine, but if there is another way to do it that doesn't kill civilians, we damn well better do it that way.

In Australia, it is stressed that people should not worry about terror? You mean like, when Howard rants about how if there's a terror attack during the holidays, it'll be the opposition's fault because they didn't let *his* ASIO bill pass? Or do you mean newspapers like The Australian, which practically every day talk about how we should be on the lookout in public places, because you never know when the next terrorist strike will happen? There has also been a few "be afraid" warnings from the government lately, though I can't remember the specific details.

Now, I'll admit that most people, thankfully, seem to be quite unconcerned, but that's in spite of the government's efforts.

Originally posted by Aries
...after they've killed they try to justify it with bullshit,

If you look, they're hypocrites. Osama bin Laden whines to leave him alone. Well, bub, I dunno how to break the news to you, but, well, we did leave you alone after the Embassy bombings and the USS Cole, and only came after you after September 11.

look at Gandi(sp?) and Martin Luther King. they got what they wanted and didn't kill anyone. i'm saying if its the only way to save our people's lives and get the job done, fine, but if there is another way to do it that doesn't kill civilians, we damn well better do it that way.

Ghandi, I think. The man, or woman, who is able to resolve a crisis without conflict is deserving of their leadership. But there are times when we have to fight.

Originally posted by Quarto
In Australia, it is stressed that people should not worry about terror? You mean like, when Howard rants about how if there's a terror attack during the holidays, it'll be the opposition's fault because they didn't let *his* ASIO bill pass?

And when did he say this?

Or do you mean newspapers like The Australian, which practically every day talk about how we should be on the lookout in public places, because you never know when the next terrorist strike will happen?

I don't read The Australian, but I do remember this being said once, in The Examiner. IAs it happens, I have been keeping an eye out. Ever since my eight year old neice was still in diapers, in fact. Maybe even earlier.

There has also been a few "be afraid" warnings from the government lately, though I can't remember the specific details.

They wouldn't happen to be from the Greens or the Sociallist Alliance, would they, or one of the dozens of groups such as No War on Iraq?

Now, I'll admit that most people, thankfully, seem to be quite unconcerned, but that's in spite of the government's efforts.

I actually think that many people don't really listen to the Australian government. (For those who don't know, Jerry Springer has nothing on the Parliment meetings they show on TV). I think it's rediculous to be as scared of their own government as they are of terrorism. I voted for Labor, by the way, and hate the lying hound that's in office at the moment.

don't forget that we left him alone after the 1st WTC terror attack back in '93. to think, if clinton had the guts to kill the fucker back when he had the chance, we probably wouldn't be in this mess

And when did he say this?
At the end of the last Parliament session before Christmas, when it was apparent that Labor wouldn't give in to him and vote for the ASIO bill unless he agreed to their amendments. And incidentally, even with their amendments, the bill was quite a harsh one. This country desperately needs a constitution.

They wouldn't happen to be from the Greens or the Sociallist Alliance, would they, or one of the dozens of groups such as No War on Iraq?
Why would such groups feel the urge to scare people with terrorist threats? :) No, the government is the one constantly talking about how any of us could be next.

I actually think that many people don't really listen to the Australian government. (For those who don't know, Jerry Springer has nothing on the Parliment meetings they show on TV). I think it's rediculous to be as scared of their own government as they are of terrorism. I voted for Labor, by the way, and hate the lying hound that's in office at the moment.
Well, being scared of your own government is perfectly normal in some countries :p. I agree that Australia is not one of them, though. But there must be certain limits to the government's power, precisely so that normal people have no reason to worry about the gov't abusing its power.

At the end of the last Parliament session before Christmas, when it was apparent that Labor wouldn't give in to him and vote for the ASIO bill unless he agreed to their amendments.

Ah, I missed that one. I'll see if I can find some news report of him saying this, as I'd be interested in hearing what he said.

This country desperately needs a constitution.

In University we were actually discussing something about a constitution. I think I can understand why you feel Australia needs one, something to do with keeping politicians from thinking they're Gods or something.

Why would such groups feel the urge to scare people with terrorist threats? :) No, the government is the one constantly talking about how any of us could be next.

So, you know a bit about them I'm guessing? I think I understand what you're saying, all the parties have been whipped up in a frenzy, right?

Well, being scared of your own government is perfectly normal in some countries :p.

Yeah well that's true I guess. Afghanistan, which wasn't even run by the government, but by the Taliban. I was thinking more along the lines countries where people are generally happy and unoppressed.

But there must be certain limits to the government's power, precisely so that normal people have no reason to worry about the gov't abusing its power.

Like, say, the Tampa Crisis? I will say this: Prime Minister Howard, with his track record (never, ever, a Goods and Services Tax; the Tampa crisis which some say he outright lied about to get into office; covering for that Peter Hollingworth who covered up the sexual abuse in the churches) should be gotten rid of by the Governer General. Just a pity that Hollingworth is the GG, and I wouldn't be surprised (although I wouldn't accuse) that the two were covering each other's backs. ('I'll keep quiet about your church cover up if you keep quiet about my lies with the Tampa', and all of those juicy conspiracy theories X Files fans just love).

In University we were actually discussing something about a constitution. I think I can understand why you feel Australia needs one, something to do with keeping politicians from thinking they're Gods or something.

politicians will always think that they're Gods. here in the US we got ourselves a constisution and it ain't stopped them from feeling like Gods. just look at Hiliary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Gary Condit, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, John Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, etc, etc, etc.

Well, a lot of them are already immortalised in books, films, television, video games and such. (B and H Clinton and Gore are in NBA Jam; B and H, or B and B as I like to call them since Hillary was the one who actually had the balls, are in Ready to Rumble, and Billy boy is in numorous other video games, beng credited for being in Jungle Strike as an example.

yeah. the reason hiliary ain't running in '04 is cause she already been the president for 8 years.

If by "president" you mean "conniving bitch", I agree with you compeltely.

When she was moving into the White House, she reportably had a book entitled How to Impeech the President. I wonder if there's a similar book for the Prime Minister and Governer General.

I was reading Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior novel Designation Gold, and he reveals something about our favourite limp wristed, pussy chasing ex Commander in Chief of the free world. This was the first novel he actually threw in actual notes from real life, such as the old Russian spy service, at the bottom of the page to better accurately describe what he was talking about, or sometimes it's just a throwaway comment like this one. Anyway, I'll quote what he says below. Before I do, in referrence to what Marcinko says, I'll draw a comparison to the two Drill Sergeants from Full Metal Jacket and An Officer and a Gentleman. To be, Hartman was a just and fair man who did his job to prepare for war. The one in An Officer and a Gentleman (forgot his name) struck me as being sinister and an asshole.

'...under orders from the Clinton administration in the mid-nineties, the Army introduced what it called "Stress Cards." These pocket size, yellow, laminated plastic cards are distributed to recruits just after they arrive for their basic training and indoctrination. If the training becomes too much to bear, or if the trainee believes he is being unfairly singled out by his drill sergeant for punishment, he can hold up his stress card and declare, "Time out." The sergeant must then back off, and leave the trainee alone for half an hour, so the soldier can compose himself. It's this sort of touchie-feelie, feel-good, pointy headed liberal pseudothinking that will get men killed killed in battle. Are things too tough in Bosnia, Somalia, or elsewhere? Just hold up a yellow (yellow for coward-just like the cowardly president who instituted it) fucking card and the enemy sniper will let you alone for half an hour. Right. Sure.'

the army trains its recruits to go kill people and break things, not to be goddamn church camp counciliers. if you can't take the stress of basic, you don't need to be in the army. i don't know what the fuck clinton was thinking when he did that. i do have a theory though. it's so those who join up for two years just to get the easy college money won't be scared off. on an other note, i read an article a while back that said a group of parents were mad cause the recruiter didn't stress that the recruits' lives might be put at risk. WTF did those people think the army is, a goddamn boy scout camp?

of course she's a conniving bitch. hell, so is her husband.

Bill Clinton was too placid and too bad a liar to be conniving.

I'd call him conniving. He backstabbed the unions and environmentalist who put him into office. Twice. And, he was able to spin things so he's still called a "liberal."

Yeah, thanks Bill, no wonder your party is in the crapper.

Back